• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    im looking to add an ak to my line up....i have 2 ars now 1 in 5.56 the other in 7.62...i was looking around for something different then everything else i see so im thinking a ak 74....anybody have any info what make is good or bad?....i see lots of surplus ammo at shows but never a 74!...any help?

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have a Bulgarian ak74, love it. Shoots nice, light recoil, pretty cheap ammo, looks good, functions good. A must have for any ak fan in my opinion, just a blast to take shooting and have fun with!

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    i can tell you this...i just purchased some bad-ass ak 74 furniture on the cheap from Apex.
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_79/products_id/1208
    https://www.apexgunparts.com/product_info.php/cPath/21_79/products_id/1040

I was actually going to buy a kvar plum stock set then i saw the above for almost a third the price...so i bought some more wood.

The ak 74 bullet wont penetrate as far into cement as the 47 as illustrated by a suarez video i saw a while ago where they were shooting cinder blocks. Its way easier to stay on target though. It also has a flatter flight path.

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Yep me too. I'm going to build my 74 from all bulgarian parts. 74s rock! Go ahead and get the stamp for full auto too while you're at it.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    Bought my bulgarian 74 off this site i love her mags are just as cheap as the 47's unless you want circle 10's and even more if you want baklite which i just had to have but i payed $120 for a set of four mags. plum mags are even rarer and go any where from 65- to 100 bucks. aim still have the poly's for $12 though. i hear they are great mags but i have never used them..... the US promags are junk

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yep me too. I'm going to build my 74 from all bulgarian parts. 74s rock! Go ahead and get the stamp for full auto too while you're at it.

You might have a hard time finding a full auto transferable AK74. Become a class 3 dealer then you can have one.

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    And of course, no one has actually tried to answer the OP's question.

As far as the 74 goes, the only real issue with manufactures you need to look out for is proper barrels and canted sights - BOTH of which are notorious to happen with Century Arms builds. Improper barrels are very common on Polish Tantal century builds - resulting in keyhole. Some rumor that Century used 5.56 barrels on a few runs of their 74's, but I have no idea if that is true or not.

Manufactures you can't go wrong with:
    - Arsenal / K-Var (very high end builds)
    - Saiga (Built right, economical, true Russian, but you have to convert it).

Acceptable Manufacture: Interarms (going off reviews)

I personally went the converted Saiga route for my 74. Which basically means I built an Arsenal AK myself and saved a tiny bit of money doing it.

FSB5.png

scott delaney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009

As far as the 74 goes, the only real issue with manufactures you need to look out for is proper barrels and canted sights - BOTH of which are notorious to happen with Century Arms builds. Improper barrels are very common on Polish Tantal century builds - resulting in keyhole. Some rumor that Century used 5.56 barrels on a few runs of their 74's, but I have no idea if that is true or not.

I personally went the converted Saiga route for my 74. Which basically means I built an Arsenal AK myself and saved a tiny bit of money doing it.

FSB5.png
    being my 1st ak style rifle i was looking for a complete gun. i got a chance to buy a saga w/ 4 -30rnd mags with wood stock for $400...i think im going to jump on it....i will really need someone to help get me into shooting and cleaning the thing.....i know ar's not ak's...will post pics if i pick it up tommarow

Hexa-Tula

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2010
    Bluffton
    I'd say a superior gun to the 47, as it has less recoil, and higher accuracy. I'd would definately say a great gun to own.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I had jahred cherry pick me a century 74 and it has run flawlessly, they are the cheapest 74 but can be hit and miss in quality. I bought it for my wife and she loves it because of the recoil, or should I say LACK of recoil. I thew on a tapco AR stock for her and am putting a US palm handguard set and a micro dot.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort

FSB5.png

How true, but about since Jan/ Feb 2011 they finally have been installing the correct twist barrels. I have one from April and its a 1/8 twist with a Y0 s/n prefix and its good to go. Many other people are posting "no keyholing" Tantals now too.

And Mr. JAG thats a very nice looking '74 !!!

Here is my Century Tantal: (middle AK)

p4090038.jpg

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    How true, but about since Jan/ Feb 2011 they finally have been installing the correct twist barrels. I have one from April and its a 1/8 twist with a Y0 s/n prefix and its good to go. Many other people are posting "no keyholing" Tantals now too.

And Mr. JAG thats a very nice looking '74 !!!

Here is my Century Tantal: (middle AK)

p4090038.jpg

Oh I've seen that Tantal. I'm pretty sure I'm the one who sold you the bakelight grips/mags. ;) Looks great :yesway:

JoP

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Bluffton, IN
    I was going to ask about the Waffen Werks. 21st Century Firearms can't keep them on the shelf. The

Been lusting after one of those from afar, and but didn't know much about their quality.

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have a Bulgarian ak74, love it. Shoots nice, light recoil, pretty cheap ammo, looks good, functions good. A must have for any ak fan in my opinion, just a blast to take shooting and have fun with!

Same here Bulgy AK74 - love it. Not the best gun if you want to shoot close groups - no AK is great at that once you get past 150 yards.
    Ammo is easy to find and cheap - 1080 rounds from AIM runs $139 + S/H but it is corrosive - but if you clean your gun after each trip - it doesn't matter.
    Cost is low but going up with popularity so get on the train now before costs goes up like Saiga 12g. I picked up mine at Center Fire Systems for $370 (inc - 3 mags).
    Mags are around $20 each - not bad.

check this out Centerfire Systems - AK Firearms

Top Bottom