• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I recently purchased a brand new Springfield M1A. Before taking it to the range I know I need to clean off the cosmoline and lube it up, but I'm not really familiar with how best to do this.

I understand the gas pistol system is to be run dry... is it packed with cosmoline from the factory?

Any tips on how best to take care of this gun? I normally just use CLP on my AR15, but I'm getting the impression that grease might be better on the M1A...

Any you-tube videos worth watching? I keep finding the same one trying to sell me a universal M1A cleaning tool kit... not interested.

Thanks in advance :ingo:

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    M-14/M1As need to be greased. I just use a tube of Valvoline axle grease I picked up at Auto Zone. It works great and the tube will last forever. I don't remember my M1A having any cosmoline on it from the factory. I just did a quick clean/grease job and took it to the range.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Welcome to the M1A world. Yes they like grease :D
    Go here and read the M14 related stickies. You will be surprised how little you actually know. You may as well join the forum there as well.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I used Tetra, but that's just me. It's like anything else, as long as it is fresh and you look after it you should be fine.

TETRA-GUN-GREASE.gif

Fred has some good info. You can get the U.S. Army manual on the M14 from Fred.

Fred's Books and Manuals

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Thanks for the tips, guys.

I successfully broke down, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled my M1A last night.

The M14 forum did have a couple of great youtube links, but a ton of their stickies had the images removed... apparently there was some discontent over there. (that forum is tough to read with all the terrible formatting, btw)

I had some remington gun grease on hand, so that was what I used. I think the gun was already greased from the factory. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't cosmoline from what I read... I wouldn't know the difference I guess.

I was surprised to find the gas piston was wet and dirty. I thought they were designed to run dry. I reassembled with it dry.

Anyhow, now that I've done it once, I think it should be easy to keep it up. Looking forward to getting to the range ASAP!

Top Bottom