Officially joined the M1 Garand club today!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Well, after waiting pretty much my entire life to own one of these beauties I finally took the time to sign up for the Garand Collectors Association and send off my paperwork to the CMP.

I ordered a Springfield Armory service grade rifle and requested that they find me a WWII era serial number and the awesome folks at the CMP delievered!!! It's a 3,285,xxx number which comes back to October of 44 so while it's not likely (I hear it took up to a year for them to see battlefields) that it saw any real action, it is still possible that this was once in the hands of a serviceman in WWII. If not, it's still a sweet rifle and the history alone makes me proud to own it.

And for the pictures!! Sorry these are crappy, I have an oldddd digital camera and I suck at taking rifle pictures anyway.

m1-2.JPG

m1-4.JPG

m1-5.JPG

Also, that rifle case that it's sitting in is included on all CMP rifle purchases now!! Single rifle case with CMP Logo in OD. Pretty sweet!

For those who are wondering, 3 weeks ago TODAY I mailed off my GCA application, received application 2 weeks ago, mailed off CMP Order same day and received rifle today! 2 weeks from order to door step, 3 weeks if you include GCA membership!

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Thanks for the compliments! The wood was pictured after only a few minutes of cleaning, I think it will come out even better when I have more time to clean the grease off of it. Plus I hear linseed oil is what the GI's used on the Garands, so I will be trying it out on mine. I ordered 2 spam cans of ammo with it and will be shooting it soon. I don't know that I'll make this one much of a shooter though. I might try for a later production to use for a shooter and keep this one as preserved as possible!

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Nice Rifle!!! Like that color too....If it was "mine" I would clean with Murphys Soap, an then apply Pure Tung Oil, it also cleans as it goes on. Don't forget your rifle may very well of been in Korea as well...whats the date an maker on the barrel?

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Very nice, the CMP is great to deal with and the best route for Garands and related items.... even ammo when its in stock. And 1903s, carbines and even trainer .22s.

I love the handguards, they still have the character marks that say Ive been there done that !!!

Congrats..... and Im sure it wont be your last M1 Garand.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    congrats on the Garand!

I got my SA Service Grade in August. I couldn't believe the condition of my rifle....both the TE and the muzzle were gauged by CMP as 1! Definitely money well spent on a piece of American history.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Nice Rifle!!! Like that color too....If it was "mine" I would clean with Murphys Soap, an then apply Pure Tung Oil, it also cleans as it goes on. Don't forget your rifle may very well of been in Korea as well...whats the date an maker on the barrel?
    I may have to try that. I think it was a Korean era rebuild because the barrel is a 52.

Very nice, the CMP is great to deal with and the best route for Garands and related items.... even ammo when its in stock. And 1903s, carbines and even trainer .22s.

I love the handguards, they still have the character marks that say Ive been there done that !!!

thanks! We have a few 1903's in my companies next gun auction and I may try to buy one since the cmp is currently out.
    congrats on the Garand!

I got my SA Service Grade in August. I couldn't believe the condition of my rifle....both the TE and the muzzle were gauged by CMP as 1! Definitely money well spent on a piece of American history.

I agree money well spent. You got a better barrel than I did but I think it will last me quite awhile.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Sweet! I really want an M1. We had to carry them in basic because the Coast Guard was too poor to buy M16's. They had a whole armory full of demilitarized M1's. It really broke my heart :(.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

They are out of the 1903's but may have some as early as sometime in 2011...but it probably won't be very many. Carbines are all gone, an CMP's word is there well never be anymore.

Top Bottom