• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Still have to take some pics but picked up a Ruger Gunsite Scout in 450 Bushmaster. Wood stock, mauser style action. Detachable mag. Ghost ring rear peep. Really nice looking rifle. Going to mount an extended eye relief handgun scope on it. Keep the iron sights mounted.

Thinking this will make a great alternative to my 12-gauge slug slinger. Should be good for 200 yards, excited to hunt with it next fall.

Here's a nice review. Looks just as nice in real life. Gun Review: Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .450 Bushmaster - The Truth About Guns

Pics soon.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You will like it. Do yourself a favor and get a scout scope instead of attempting the pistol scope. There is a deference in LER scope and IER scopes.

The 450 bushmaster was someone in the DNR’s personal project that was added into the PCR class on the third go round when coming up with the rule. The first edit has cartridges listed the second had min cal and min max brass the third round tweeked the min max a little so the 450 was legal. Not enough to make the 35 rem legal. Someone had a 450 AR and wanted it included.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    One thing I found interesting about this rifle is the detachable magazine. It's the same magazine that is used for the 308 version of this rifle. In fact the magazine has "308" stamped in the metal on one side. The capacity is reduced for 450 bushmaster, but the rifle can accept any of the 308 mags that fit the 308 version. But for deer hunting, I actually prefer the smaller mag, just makes the rifle a little easier to handle up in the deer stand.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Had Some Time to Take Pics

Finally got a break from the work grind and had a little time to take some pics today. They may not be magazine quality, but I figured having my reloading room in the background was actually sort of fitting...

DSC01032_zpsfvqx8iog.jpg

A shot of the muzzle brake. You can remove this and install the factory supplied thread protector, but I'll try it installed for next hunting season. Could be more trouble to clean than it's worth, but we'll see...
    DSC01034_zpsje7a7nyi.jpg

Typical Ruger M77 style action..
    DSC01035_zpssryfassu.jpg

Adjustable rear peep installed
    DSC01036_zps16bem7wv.jpg

Picatinny rail for mounting extended eye relief scope..
    DSC01037_zpspzcgf25v.jpg

Detachable mag is the same mag used for the .308 version of the rifle
    DSC01038_zpstlktsbzo.jpg

DSC01039_zpsavmvqkwi.jpg

Nice touch on the bottom of the grip...
    DSC01041_zpsaqva4tnc.jpg

DSC01058_zpsezuhy3v4.jpg

DSC01060_zps5mbcxas8.jpg

DSC01064_zps0irgi09q.jpg

DSC01066_zpssyibnf1h.jpg

DSC01068_zpsjnoloqb2.jpg

Talley Tactical Mounts, Low height...
    DSC01070_zpsx9kbz5a8.jpg

DSC01073_zpsti0eoasy.jpg

DSC01074_zpsqvpm5f8l.jpg

DSC01076_zpsb01attjl.jpg

DSC01077_zpsofowtqh3.jpg

DSC01078_zpsesbjle5r.jpg

DSC01080_zpsfwilqmia.jpg

DSC01082_zpslk2sfnrl.jpg

Full mount of unusual black coyote with white star on her breast in the background, Mrs. 1911 says she has to stay in the basement. How many other guys can name this tune in one note???
    DSC01084_zpsyf6f4r5b.jpg

DSC01088_zps7ngviyxf.jpg

DSC01089_zpsbm53jxmq.jpg

DSC01090_zpsksnxwhqb.jpg

DSC01092_zpsujza9lq6.jpg

450 Bushmaster ammo....
    DSC01097_zpsswszfwfr.jpg

DSC01099_zpsokg1kgsc.jpg

All I need to do now is mount the scope. Still waiting for it to come in...
    DSC01101_zpsnbnutosm.jpg

Last edited:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That is HOT! I love my GSR, but it's in .308 and has the original "blackwash" wood furniture. Very nice!

I have a feeling it's going to be a whole different ball game hunting public land. The increased range, probably capable of twice the distance of even a very accurate 12 gauge rig, maybe even a little more, is going to open up some some hunting strategies not possible before. Really excited about the upcoming season.

Last edited:

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I have a muzzle break on my 450 BM and re-directs the muzzle blast to the rear. If you are shooting with a group make sure the folks behind you have their PPE on. Nice looking rifle.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Mounted the Scope - Pics

My Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32mm handgun scope arrived. I got a super deal on this scope on Amazon, $100 less than Optics Planet and free shipping to boot. Valentines Day gift from the wife. :)

A buudy of mine who has an armorer's certificate checked the alignment with a lapping kit, no lapping required. Talley Rings are high quality, but my concern was more with the rail than the rings, but everything lined up without any lapping. Thanks to Steve for the nice work! Steve is a member on INGO too, maybe he'll chime in.

The scope sits further forward than what most folks are used to. I've always wanted to try an extended eye relief scope on a deer hunting rifle. Two reasons for this. 1) In very cold weather less chance of breathing on the ocular lens and blowing a shot due to fogging the lens, 2) less chance of the dreaded "scope eye" on a high adrenaline shot with the rifle not planted in the shoulder the way it should be and having the eye too close to the scope. Might be other reasons, but those were the ones that have impacted me while hunting in the past.

DSC01106_zpspn18i6ht.jpg

DSC01103_zpso3opyhta.jpg

DSC01104_zpso5hfne3r.jpg

DSC01108_zps2aqlyzrz.jpg

DSC01109_zpscpidyz4t.jpg

DSC01111_zpsa5l1bm8k.jpg

DSC01114_zpspas7p6cv.jpg

DSC01115_zpstxetgjtt.jpg

DSC01116_zpsuk9ii9zo.jpg

DSC01117_zpsgclraamt.jpg

DSC01118_zpswpq2vhvo.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    CNC machines do make nice scope rings and bases. Very seldom have lapping been needed with scope mounting lately.

Which scope is that. How does it work at high mag compared to low mag.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    We will of course now be expecting photos of u this fall with a nice deer that u shot with said rifle setup. Their will be no excuses accepted on missing by a hair or at the last minute something something something just right over his back , heh.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    "Less chance of scope eye"

Damn son, there should be ZERO chance of scope eye LOL
    If anybody gets whopped with that............... ;)

If I get a scope eye with this rig I guess it's time to change hobbies.

Which scope is that. How does it work at high mag compared to low mag.

Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x32mm handgun scope. This is my second one I've owned. First was on a S&W 629. Haven't taken this one to the range yet. I expect it will have no problem with the transition between magnification settings, more on that later when I write the range report.

rk361w.jpg

my Brooklyn scout. You will love it for hunting. I call it iron sights for old eyes. I can get it on target very fast which since I love to still hunt is prefect.
    Nice looking rig! I missed out on a real nice deer a few years back walking back to the truck, some dogs chased a big 12pt right to me, I had the scope dialed up too high. Huge lesson learned. I also read a scope review written by an ex Marine sniper in which he mentioned always having the scope dialed down unless zooming in on a target. He said something to the effect that in hunting you might miss out on a nice harvest, in combat it might get you killed.

We will of course now be expecting photos of u this fall with a nice deer that u shot with said rifle setup. Their will be no excuses accepted on missing by a hair or at the last minute something something something just right over his back , heh.

Hope to meet your challenge about 9 months from now!

Top Bottom