• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have been looking to get into my first 7.62x39 rifle for some time now. Been trying to figure out which $500-700 AK version to pick up. Today, I came across the Century Arms International VZ2008 for the first time. I can pick one up new with 5 mags for $399.99. They seem to get pretty good reviews and are lighter and supposedly more accurate than most AK's.

Should I go for this VZ2008 as my first 7.62x39 rifle or should I hold out for an AK?

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Personally, I would get an AK but that is a really good deal on the VZ. I like the commonality of parts and magazines with the AK platform, and am hesitant to buy anything Century had a hand in building after the numerous turds I've received from them. The non chrome lined barrel is also a no go for me. I would really like to pick up a CZ / Czechpoint import sometime just because I find the platform interesting, but am more than happy with running my AK's in the mean time.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Personally, I would get an AK but that is a really good deal on the VZ. I like the commonality of parts and magazines with the AK platform, and am hesitant to buy anything Century had a hand in building after the numerous turds I've received from them. The non chrome lined barrel is also a no go for me. I would really like to pick up a CZ / Czechpoint import sometime just because I find the platform interesting, but am more than happy with running my AK's in the mean time.

The only thing the VZ58/2008/2000 and all it's names has common with the AK is the the ammo. There is nothing common with any AK in the VZ58 rifle.

That said, I have one and am very happy with it. About the only thing strange with mine is it flings the empty shells straight up which make for a weird follow up shot when the round passes back through the sight picture, bounced off the rifle itself, or lands on my head! Just haven't taken the time to adjust the ejector.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The only thing the VZ58/2008/2000 and all it's names has common with the AK is the the ammo. There is nothing common with any AK in the VZ58 rifle.

That said, I have one and am very happy with it. About the only thing strange with mine is it flings the empty shells straight up which make for a weird follow up shot when the round passes back through the sight picture, bounced off the rifle itself, or lands on my head! Just haven't taken the time to adjust the ejector.

:thumbsup: I meant that I like the commonality of parts amongst AK's, and not grouping the VZ into that bracket. Hell, ones hammer / others striker, long piston / short, completely different beast. If I remember correctly, the rear sight was the same but that's about it. Sorry, I was posting off my phone and it came out weird.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I'm a longtime AK guy and recently picked up a 2008. I really like it and the controls are much more ergonomic than AK's, along with being noticeably lighter. The VERY open action is also very good for clearing/verification, and the LRBHO is the bee's knees. I'm going to machine a BHO button that has enough extension to use as a bolt release, and it may just be about perfect.

The style and asthetics of the AK series is hard to beat. I have several flavors, from AKM stock to type 56 to krink, and they all hold a special place in my heart. This really is an opportunity to enjoy monogamy as applied to rifle designs...

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For $399 pick up the 2008 and give it a try, if it's not what you're looking for, you can easily sell it for what you have in it or find someone to trade you for a decent AK.

$399 is pretty damn hard to pass up especially new, even more so with the mags

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just ordered one of these on Friday. I had been very tempted by the $499 price that AIM has had for awhile, but when I saw Palmetto's $399 price, I couldn't resist any longer. Granted, AIM's offering included a sling and bayonet, but I really don't need the bayonet, and I can pick up a sling for a lot less than a hundred bucks. Heck, $399 is a pre-panic WASR price.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I hear ya M67.... thinking the same thing. That is an insanely good price. And while they are not as good as the Czechpoint variety, the VZ2008 ones are still nice little rifles.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I hear ya M67.... thinking the same thing. That is an insanely good price. And while they are not as good as the Czechpoint variety, the VZ2008 ones are still nice little rifles.

A friend tried to sell me his CZ VZ58 a couple years ago, 9-12 mags, 2 stocks, different grips, very good condition, he used it as his hog gun, only wanted $700 for everything. He's a gunsmith and he changed the bolt to left hand side though

At the time I said no because I didn't need a rifle chambered in 7.62x39........now I have 3 that are.

Hindsight sucks

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Thanks for the feedback and input INGO. I decided to go ahead and order one. I am sure I will enjoy it. Also, I am sure it won;t keep me from still getting an AK when I find the right one.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Thanks for the feedback and input INGO. I decided to go ahead and order one. I am sure I will enjoy it. Also, I am sure it won;t keep me from still getting an AK when I find the right one.

What a coincidence....since this little sale...I think I have a spare AK up for sale now

;)

CarnageRush

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harrison County
    I got none from AIM earlier this year, came with bayonet, 5 mags and a sling. The sling I got was beat to crap so I bought a new one, a well used sling looked daft on a brand new rifle.

My complaints:
    -No welded tab on the bolt carrier
    -Muzzle is threaded 14x1RH

I may eventually have a tab welded on, you can Google 'vz-58 gremlin' if you want more info. I've had no problems thus far but I would feel better if it had the tab. The muzzle thread being 14x1RH is just dumb to me. They could have made it so you could use the plethora of available 14x1LH AK muzzle devices.

TglIJyx.jpg

It's an interesting design. The gas piston does not ride in a tube but rather just sits under the top handguard. The hand guards can heat up fairly quick. The folding mechanism on mine is tight, I've been working it back and forth and it has loosened up a little bit. I want to get a fixed stock for it.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just in case you want a new muzzle device, cncwarrior has a variety in 14x1 RH threads. Some pretty inexpensive, too.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I tell you what, the more I read about these VZ's...the more I like them...and I have not even received mine yet. I hope I get one of the good ones.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom