• ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've been avoiding I.O. like herpes, but I might have to get them a try now! I'd really like one as a folder with the beryl rail across the top. Disassembly is interesting, i'm glad you showed that. The mag release looks like a valmets.

What magazine were you using and did it come with the gun? I ask because they have some ((10)) wafflish looking mags that are "us made" so i'm kinda leery of them (promag paranoid).

I was laughing at the fact that it looked as though you fell in a pool towards the end of the video.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What magazine were you using and did it come with the gun?

I'm not full-auto, but the mag in the video is a Polish Beryl 5.56 mag. I ass-u-me it came with the gun, as they are fairly hard to come by on their own.

At $1300, I wish IO had put on a better stock; that appears to be the same long, hollow, chintzy thing they put on their "STG-2000" and "AK-47C" rifles. :(

Also, I was under the impression that the translucent Beryl mags had a metal reinforcement strip running down the front face; see the two mags in the middle:
    Beryl%20Mag%20Przod.jpg

Does the mag in the video lack that? I can't really tell.

Finally, Polish Beryl mags work just fine in Arsenal 5.56 AKs (SLR-106 etc), so I expect the reverse would be true.

Last edited:

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Good job on the rifle review as always. I have been keeping an eye on I.O. Inc. AKs for some time.

It looks like they are really working on a decent product line, at least on the higher end.

I like folder and railed AKs. I would spend the $1300, if the rifle had the folding stock and Beryl accessory optics rail.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I'm not full-auto, but the mag in the video is a Polish Beryl 5.56 mag. I ass-u-me it came with the gun, as they are fairly hard to come by on their own.

At $1300, I wish IO had put on a better stock; that appears to be the same long, hollow, chintzy thing they put on their "STG-2000" and "AK-47C" rifles. :(

Also, I was under the impression that the translucent Beryl mags had a metal reinforcement strip running down the front face; see the two mags in the middle:
    Beryl%20Mag%20Przod.jpg

Does the mag in the video lack that? I can't really tell.

Finally, Polish Beryl mags work just fine in Arsenal 5.56 AKs (SLR-106 etc), so I expect the reverse would be true.

my issue is this:

Super duper awesome ((10))mags
    colorsk.jpg

Super ****ty Promag
    ak223.jpg

I.O.'s mag that looks exactly like promag.
    IO%20IOIN0201%20AK47%20MAG%20BLK%20POLYMER%2030RD-500x500.jpg

The reason I'm skeptical is that I.O. tends to use less than stellar companies to outfit their rifles (UTG/tapco faux tactical junk for example). They offer an all american made magazine for the Ak47 that looks like a ((10))...which looks just like the promag version...which sucks likes a dyson.

This current rifle looks and performs great! I hope they're turning their act around as I haven't been impressed with them so far. If they're using actual military issued magazines, then good on them! If they contracted promag to make some look-a-like, out-of-spec jam-o-matic out of toy grade plastic then i'm not happy.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The reason I'm skeptical is that I.O. tends to use less than stellar companies to outfit their rifles (UTG/tapco faux tactical junk for example). They offer an all american made magazine for the Ak47 that looks like a ((10))...which looks just like the promag version...which sucks likes a dyson.

The IO mag in your pic is a 7.62x39 mag. IIRC, they provide Promags with the 7.62 guns they build (though they look like Arsenal Code 10s at first blush, the floorplates are different and the Promags are boldly stamped "PROMAG" on the side). The 5.56 mag in the MAC video is a Polish Beryl mag - it has the lateral ribs like an AK-74 mag (not waffled), and the signature "5,56" caliber designation near the top. Since the majority of the gun is built in Poland, it is likely shipping over with the correct mag; IO must be coming up with some other ways to achieve 922(r) compliance (stock, pistol grip, trigger group and muzzle device would be my guesses).

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Very cool rifle. I would have dismissed it instantly being that IO is involved, back that group with the Federal 556 was impressive. I have toyed with the idea of owning a 556 AK for a while now.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I realize IO Inc. has a reputation for poor quality rifles, especially those they make themselves. I've never owned one, but I have spoken to Blaine at Atlantic Firearms extensively about some of the issues he's seen with them and I trust his word. They do some pretty sketchy stuff at times.

The Archer is imported from Poland and IO Inc. has little to do with the rifle outside of making it 922r compliant. It's easily one of the nicest AK's I've ever held in terms of fit and finish.

It's also worth note that I've since learned the safety lever / bolt hold contraption is an IO Inc. modification.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm reviving this thread to ask if anyone owns one yet. I see Atlantic has dropped the price to under $1000.

By biggest beef with it is that the barrel is 16" 1:10 instead of the Beryl's 18" 1:9. How hard would it be to find the right barrel and change it out?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So I've seen a thread at M4Carbine that states that it is a 1:9 twist. I guess my only issue is the shorter barrel.

Perhaps I should take one for the team and buy one.

EDIT: Does anyone know about the part count? I believe it has a G2 FCG, and if the crappy buttstock is US made and the pistol grip and possibly the muzzle brake (all three are not found on the Beryl) then it would have only 10 (the magic number) foreign parts if the magazine is a true Beryl mag.

HINT: Royal Tiger has these Archers for sale and they throw in a collapsible stock, but they won't ship the stock with the rifle.

EDIT EDIT: This thread confirms what I thought: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-590385.html

So, if you want the true stock, grip and muzzle brake (I already have those), then what can you change out to keep it 10 and under? I suppose I could get Tapco magazines. Would a Galil magazine work?

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Yes YOU should get one and let us know about it!

You can use the real mags, just buy new floor plates springs and followers. You can also get a us made piston and probably find a usmade grip that is a reasonable facsimile.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I want one, but the $1300 is a hard pill to swallow for an AK

Would you pay $989? That's the price at Atlantic now! But wait, if you call now, Royal Tiger will throw in an extra collapsible stock valued at $200!*

I'm trying to figure out how I can scrape together enough money to fund this. I do have a bonus check in December that my wife doesn't know about. :shady:

* Collapsible stock shipped separately to appease the BATFE.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm trying to figure out how I can scrape together enough money to fund this. I do have a bonus check in December that my wife doesn't know about. :shady:

Well, before that happened, Newport happened. :(

And the availability disappeared. And the cost shot up $300. :facepalm:

Well, now the price is low on Cyber Monday so....

:smileak:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    OK, time to revive this thread!

I got - Black Friday deal at Royal Tiger.

It's "gen 2" model - here's the deal:
    1. Fit and finish is really good - anodized (I think)
    2. The goofy muzzle device in the video has now been replaced with one that's very similar to the Beryl - it lacks the internal threads for the blank firing adaptor
    3. The muzzle device is installed properly - not upside down as others reported
    4. The barrel and piston are chromed
    5. It came with an adjustable stock - not the crappy IO RPK style
    6. The pistol grip was still the IO one
    7. The safety lever has the cut out - but it's cleaned up and very functional
    8. It came with the high optics rail (totally unexpected to get the rail included!)
    9. The bayonet lugs aren't fully machined
    10. There's only two rivets on the rear trunnion, not three like the Beryl
    11. All the serial numbers are matching
    12. It's an 18" barrel, not 16.25"

All in all, I'm impressed. Radom really built this gun well!

It's not cheap, but if you're looking for a top quality AK in 5.56, I don't think you'll find anything else matching this.

Top Bottom