Not open for further replies.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    IMG_3143.jpg

This review is on a Schrade knock off of a Chris Reeve design. I always wanted to buy a Chris Reeve survival knife but never felt like paying $250 or more for a knife that I didn’t really “need” was within my budget. So years passed until one day I stumbled upon these new knives from Schrade. Through some discussions on the internet I had come to find out that Chris Reeve retired and sold his designs to Schrade. So instead of the knives being made in Africa, they are now made in China and we as the customers get a quality knife nearly identical to the original design without the Porsche price tag. Not trying to open the can of worms about the Chris Reeve prices, but I’m after high value items that I can afford and this is one of them.

The knife itself is a very rugged design. It’s machined from a solid piece of steel and the blade is thick enough that I wouldn’t think twice about doing some prying if it was needed. The factory edge on the knife is just about where I think a regular knife edge ought to be. It’s sharp enough to almost take the hairs off your skin, but it’s thick enough at the edge that you could use the knife to split wood without worrying about a razor thin edge going totally dull and getting banged up. Another part I like about the steel used in this knife, is that I can use it as a striker against the fire steel that’s in the pouch and it works very well. It’s a heavy knife, but life has taught me that it’s just more to love.

Another reason I bought this knife is because I wanted to start keeping some items in my vehicle that could make life easier if I ever got into a tough spot. You’ll notice the next picture is focused on what all is in that pouch. The list of items in the pouch are: a bic lighter, a fire steel, small length of organic rope, and a small LED keychain light. In the small pouch I’ve been able to store supplies to ensure that I’ll always be able to start a fire and shed a little light on the subject if need be.

IMG_3144.jpg

The next picture shows the knife out of the sheath next to all the stuff in the pouch. It’s just a personal preference, but I like a knife that’s got something on it that’ll stop your hand from sliding down the handle on onto the sharp edge of the knife. This knife felt a little narrow in that area for my tastes so I wrapped some grip tape there. That’s the only reason it’s there. I’m sure most of you already noticed that I wrapped some 550 cord around the sheath and I didn’t take it off for the pictures because it was a hassle to get it all on there and secured and I just didn’t want to do it again.

IMG_3146.jpg

This upcoming picture should give you some kind of an idea about what kind stuff you can pack into the handle of this if you want to do that. The knife comes with a little screwdriver bit set that locks into the cap of the knife, but I don’t see the point of that stuff since I keep tools in my car and I’d rather have the fishing equipment. I took a coffee straw and split one end of it securing the fishing line in it, then put that straw in a power drill and let it reel up some fishing line for me. After a few minutes of watching the line build up I knew I had more than I’d ever need so I just trimmed the straw to the right length and dropped it in the handle. Once that was done I dropped in an assortment of over a half dozen different hooks, and an assortment of different flies in the handle screwed on the cap and as the o-ring sealed the way it was meant to I felt satisfied with what I’d put together.

IMG_3148.jpg

I realize that this review isn’t solely focused so much on the knife, but what kind of setup a person can arrange with this knife & pouch. I’m not trying to say that the way I have mine setup is the right way for everyone, but I will say that in my setup, I can start a fire, catch some fish, see in the darkness and solid knife for any camp chore I’d ever have. After all, I think that’s a large part of why people buy a survival knife, especially in my case.

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...w_schrade_extreme_survival_knife_schf2sm.html

Last edited by a moderator:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom