• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    As the Rodney Dangerfield of guns the Smith and Wesson Basic KFrame Service Models get no respect. Model 10 | Smith & Wesson (smith-wesson.com) It looks as though the closest thing produced today is the Model 10 in 38 Special. This Model 13 in 357 Magnum is really a shooter. I have used it in SSR Division in IDPA, street defense, PPC and ICORE.

Being raised by wolves and B&W TV Westerns, I grew up on Single Action Colt’s and Rugers. I can remember thinking that a double action revolver was for sissies. And of course, no one could get the 1911 to run so I was content. Until, it was in my best interest to put one on as I was helping with the County Police Qualifications at the F.O.P. range. When the revolver was king as duty sidearms, I was amazed at how neat they were. Dependable, accurate and deadly was 3 key features that are nice to have. Yes, there were a few Pythons but for the most part they were too delicate for police work.

I got used to the fixed sights on the Service K Frame. It was not uncommon that there were a few that the sights were not lined up right in the department mix. The barrels needed turned and being smaller counties, they really didn’t have an armorer per se. The factory fixed the ones I identified and many other cops didn’t care.
    The departments started going from Model 10’s to the Model 13 and 65 because of wanting the more powerful .357 magnum. So, in the mid 70’s I outfitted myself with a new Model 13. I couldn’t be happier. Mine came out of the box with registered sights and a great action. I aced the 600 many times with this piece. Dead on. Dead powerful. The .357 in a smaller handgun is brutal. As a matter of fact, that is why we have the LFrames today because the KFrame can not take a full diet of .357’s without some early wear.

So from then on, my KFrames only get fed .38 Specials. I had already been shooting my Model 27 with .38 specials in Bullseye matches at the Newman center in South Bend. I just love the configuration of the Model 13 as it is just a little over 9 inches long and 5 inches tall and weighs about 34 OZ with the Heavy Barrel. (Close to a Commander in weight) I used it for some local combat matches as well because the revolver stood a more equal chance with the semi auto’s as combat courses were low round count (as they should be for civil defense training) and autos often would not run. My 13 runs all the time. Period.

Just two weeks ago when another club member saw me using my homemade pistol perch, he asked if he could use the rest to shoot a group out of his gun to test it for accuracy. He saw my one ragged hole at 20 yards that I just printed with my 13 and 38 Special handloads. The best that we could get out of his name brand Polymer pistol was 4 inches. I will admit that I often use Single Action mode to print groups but that is not an option for striker fired guns.

Shown below is my grip screw which is blued like the gun. Call me weird, but I like the grip screw to match the receiver of the gun. As with all my revolvers I am running a Target Hammer and Trigger. I love the extra metal and very secure platform for my Hammer Spur. I have never been a fan of disabling the Single action mode on a double action revolver. DAO revolvers have a place and I have owned a few, but they were engineered from the factory to be DAO. The reduced mass one benefits into grinding the spur off seems only a benefit to a race gun. Form should follow function. ICORE targets don’t shoot back and I like having options with my hammer on the street.

I have went through a lot of Model 65’s (same gun as 13 only stainless) and enjoy the quick handling of a 4 inch heavy barrel K Frame. I have since lost the factory box this thing came in but it is a keeper for me. Revolvers will always be my favorite for general purpose and when I start downsizing they will be some of the last to go.
    The double action revolver has earned a place in my beginning, middle and end of the road not replacing the Single Action Revolver but chiseling out history right along with it. Sorry, I have to go now as Laramie is coming on followed by the Untouchables.

Good Shooting to all!

IMG_0770 (002).jpg IMG_0771 (002).jpg IMG_0772 (002).jpg IMG_0773 (002).jpg IMG_0774 (002).jpg IMG_0775 (002).jpg IMG_0776 (002).jpg IMG_0778 (002).jpg IMG_0779 (002).jpg

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    There are few problems in life that can not be solved by the proper application of [STRIKE]high explosives[/STRIKE] a 4" K frame .357 magnum.

SAILORGOLF46

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Thank you again, I have a few K frames in 4 inch in the mix but a 3 inch is on the bucket list. Time and available is getting less and less.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    As with all my revolvers I am running a Target Hammer and Trigger. I love the extra metal and very secure platform for my Hammer Spur. I have never been a fan of disabling the Single action mode on a double action revolver. DAO revolvers have a place and I have owned a few, but they were engineered from the factory to be DAO. The reduced mass one benefits into grinding the spur off seems only a benefit to a race gun. Form should follow function. ICORE targets don’t shoot back and I like having options with my hammer on the street.

Jim how does "grinding off the hammer spur only benefit a race gun"?
    It has been proven for decades that a lighter hammer going faster has MORE reliable ignition than a heavier hammer moving slower at the same weight trigger pull.
    Form should follow function and that's why most of my revolvers have no hammer spur.
    SA in a DA revolver is fine for Bullseye or Silhouette or hunting or just range plinking but any of the speed games or self defense is pretty much a DA only deal.

Yes the ICORE and USPSA and IDPA targets don't shoot back but neither do any of your training targets and drills.
    Personally if I ever was in a defense situation "on the street" whether to shoot SA or DA will be the last thing on my mind.
    :twocents:

Nice write up on a great gun.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've got a 65 and a 13 in the inventory. The 65 is a police turn in from God knows where ("A.P.D." marked) and the DA trigger is smooooth. The 13 is a 3" Lew Horton Special from back in the day, bobbed hammer, matte blue finish and ported. It's DA trigger is beyond smooth into utterly fantastic!

I was taught DA revolver combat shooting back in the 80's by the good ol' USAF themselves.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Jim, it appears you have the same guns as I. Or maybe you just have so many that you cover my measly few. And at least you keep them. I have sold off most of what I have owned over the years sans firearms that have sentimental value to me.

I sold my 3" 13 when I picked up a 586. I should have kept it. I won't sell an older Smith again. I liked it but just didn't see the need since I had the 586.

But it would have been cool to have around. It was an older reserve cops gun. It had plenty of holster wear, but not much shootin' wear. I sold it to my brother. I think he sold it but I'm going to confirm after reading your review.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Jim how does "grinding off the hammer spur only benefit a race gun"?
    It has been proven for decades that a lighter hammer going faster has MORE reliable ignition than a heavier hammer moving slower at the same weight trigger pull.
    Form should follow function and that's why most of my revolvers have no hammer spur.
    SA in a DA revolver is fine for Bullseye or Silhouette or hunting or just range plinking but any of the speed games or self defense is pretty much a DA only deal.

Yes the ICORE and USPSA and IDPA targets don't shoot back but neither do any of your training targets and drills.
    Personally if I ever was in a defense situation "on the street" whether to shoot SA or DA will be the last thing on my mind.
    :twocents:

Nice write up on a great gun.

I figured that would raise your neck hairs.....lol.

First In my review I admit that there is a place for factory hammerless guns. I have had many but only have one now. Second, I admit in my text the lighter mass is a benefit. Just not enough for me to warrant it. Third, for me personally, and I stand by it, I LIKE THE SPUR, and I don't do misfires even with my heavy slow hammers. My Davis gun was despurred for the Cup for many years. I preferred the spur for PPC. I know that gunsmiths have been and continue to sell this feature and that's fine but I have retired from race guns and will not carry a STREET revolver (don't need to help the prosecution) with a chopped hammer, 6 1/2LB trigger pull. chamfered charge holes, moon clips. altered locks, oversize cylinder release and so on. I have been there done that and moved on to less is more for me.

I bet your glad I am the few and not the many......LOL

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    I know that gunsmiths have been and continue to sell this feature and that's fine but I have retired from race guns and will not carry a STREET revolver (don't need to help the prosecution) with a chopped hammer, 6 1/2LB trigger pull. chamfered charge holes, moon clips. altered locks, oversize cylinder release and so on. I have been there done that and moved on to less is more for me.

I bet your glad I am the few and not the many......LOL

Nah different opinions make the world more interesting.:):

Personally I feel ANYTHING that makes my Revolver(or Auto) more reliable and easier to shoot and/or reload in a self defense situation is a win.
    I'm more worried about the Funeral Director than the prosecution.

FWIW I hate bobbing hammers as it is a lot of work making it pretty but I do it if requested and yes I still recommend it as I have seen the difference it makes.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    Great write-up Trapper! I've enjoyed a few of these reviews you've put together lately, and anything "cowboy" (revolvers, lever guns like your Marlin) make for good reading IMO. This thread in particular makes me realize how much I've neglected enjoying my revolvers for too long. While I'd call this M19-5 "pretty shooter grade", it's incredibly accurate and has perhaps the sweetest SA/DA trigger of anything I own. Got this off a member here a few+ years back and have thoroughly enjoyed it. And I didn't lose the matching box! This is sporting aftermarket Altamont grips which fit me well, and I have the original (dare I say impeccable) magna grips in the box.

Please excuse my photography skills, your pics are much better.

NwhJMy4.jpg
    [/IMG]

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I've got a 65 and a 13 in the inventory...The 13 is a 3" Lew Horton Special from back in the day, bobbed hammer, matte blue finish and ported. It's DA trigger is beyond smooth into utterly fantastic!

Interesting! Do you have any pics or additional info? I traded into a Md 13 as described above. Got it from Indiucky who had taken it in trade in his shop. We both agreed we thought the porting looked like Mag-Na-Port work but this could be interesting.

Funny thing, Indi told me when he took in the Md 13 he immediately thought of me and figured he would hold it till I posted something he wanted. :):

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I don’t own a revolver with an adjustable rear sight. Model’s 10, 13 and 581 are my favorites. I’ll have to compare notes with Gregkl to see if my 3” Model 13 might have belonged to him at one time. The 581 is the best shooter of the bunch though.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don’t own a revolver with an adjustable rear sight. Model’s 10, 13 and 581 are my favorites. I’ll have to compare notes with Gregkl to see if my 3” Model 13 might have belonged to him at one time. The 581 is the best shooter of the bunch though.

Not unless it made its way back to Indiana from TN. My brother lives in TN.:)

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Very cool S&W Revolver...beautiful in the blue too! I've owned a few S&W's, but never a 13...maybe I need to get one???
    I, too, am a revolver guy, but I've been shooting Rugers since 1992...and have had to learn to do my own trigger work!
    My 5" GP100 has adjustable sights, but my 4" and 3" models have fixed sights, which I can shoot as good or better!
    I am actually comfortable shooting in DA mode...but also prefer to maintain the SA capability with my revolvers.
    I just wish I had the time to shoot competitively with them...

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Someone told me the first 200 had 4 ports in the barrel, later 200 had them in the rib due to objections from Magnaport. Mine has the four ports in the barrel so it would seem to be an earlier one. However, the Lew Horton ones came out in 1995 and mine, being a 13-3 model with an AWZ prefix, was manufactured between July & December of 1987. So I guess it is not a true Lew Horton special, likely then the bobbed hammer and ports were actually done by Magnaport themselves. I will blindly assume it was the sole inspiration for the later LH specials.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The 3” Model 13 feels just right to me. It’s the only revolver that I’ve invested in good leather for. I have holsters for the others but they tend to be the sub-$100 Galco level quality. The Model 13 feels good on the belt in quality leather

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I was taught DA revolver combat shooting back in the 80's by the good ol' USAF themselves.[/QUOTE]

Same here, however, it was the Smith & Wesson Model 15 Combat Masterpiece! My training is from the mid 70s.

Top Bottom