• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    hello all had some questions about getting my 45 back from my friend, so a few years ago I bought a 45 and was living in Michigan and with my parents, they found out about the gun a freaked out so I gave it to my friend who has held onto it for all this time, I talked with a gun dealer who said I could have my friend send it by FFL dealer, he also said if my friend just writes up a receipt saying he is giving my gun back with the serial number I can just take it back to Indiana, is this legal ? will Michigan accept this ? any info be helpful thanks

wizardfitz

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    franklin,in
    I see you're in Noblesville, so wouldn't it be easier and less time consuming to ship it from michigan then driving there? Ffl fee 15 shipping 30 bux roughly.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Ok, i am currently in MI.
    Most important question - has he registered the pistol under his name in MI. (Yes, Michigan has handgun registration).
    If not, *i think* you would be fine to accept it from him in person. (I consider that th e same as having borrowed a gun from a friend or family member)

If he has registered it under his name, I'd say you would likely need to ship thru FFL

Edit to add: I am not a lawyer, look before you leap, do a good turn daily, why did the chicken cross the road?,ummm.. etc. etc.

Last edited:

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    contact your state police and ask them, they may or may not know the answer but... My understanding is more on IN laws not MI laws. That being said I would say the safe bet is to meet at a local gun store and just pay them to transfer the gun to you

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    if there has not been any paperwork on the gun since you bought it, what difference does it make that your friend "borrowed it"??
    It's still your gun. If you owned it in Michigan then moved to Indiana there would be no paperwork to do here.
    I'd say there's nothing to worry about.

However, if your friend registered it in Michigan, then technically the gun is probably his and you would have to go through an Indiana FFL for a legal transfer.
    Just to be safe, you might consider transferring it and eliminate any legal issues.
    It's complete and total bull crap that we even have to worry about this stuff... but that's a rant for another day...

RW97

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2016
    Muncie
    If it was your gun, it's still your gun unless you transferred it into your buddies name. Therefore still yours. If you filed it in his name it has to go through an FFL because you live in separate states. Which is illegal

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    Well I talked to Indiana state police and they said I had to go through a dealer, since I live in noblesville I called markesmen shooting sports and a transfer would cost $35, that seems kinda high

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Well I talked to Indiana state police and they said I had to go through a dealer, since I live in noblesville I called markesmen shooting sports and a transfer would cost $35, that seems kinda high

I;ve seen worse. USDS in Greenwood is the cheapest around. But you'll blow that savings on gas from noblesville. Just do it.

Nojoy621

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 10, 2016
    Crown point
    When you gave it to your friend, did he fill out an ri60 and submit it to local PD? If not the gun is still yours as far as Michigan law is concerned. Just go get get it, if your friend submitted his ri60 to local PD then you will have to go an FFL transfer. If you just gave it to him with no paperwork, he is basically just holding it for you, and if he doesn't have a CPL he is actually doing so illegally in Michigan.

burt gummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 14, 2012
    noblesville
    No we filled out the paper work, like I said I had to give it up cause I was living w my parents and them being so "crazy" and they wanted paperwork to make sure,

Top Bottom