• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana
    I just picked up a 300 blackout pistol. I was looking to get a Sig Brace but have been getting conflicting answers on the legality of it. Is there a good alternative to it or does anyone have a recommendations for or against the Sig Brace? My main purpose for this will be to hunt with it. Thanks.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    You can get the sig brace if you would like. KAK also makes a stabalizing brace as well. Either one will work for your hunting applications and the final say is up to you.

As far as legality there are a few things you just need to watch while shooting it. Watch this. He is an Indiana guy as well and explains this legal issue in detail.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77impGwnEtE

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    The basic info is that if you get the Brace "with the intention" of shouldering it you are in violation. If you get it intending to cheek weld it you are good to go. If you, or someone you loan it to, accidentally shoulders it you are not in violation. It all falls into manner of intent.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Great question -- Here are a couple of options:
    Besides using a standard "pistol buffer tube", you could consider an Odin Works tube, KAK tube/supertube, Midwest Industries pistol buffer tube --> These tubes are slightly longer, and have a bit of a "shoulder/ledge" that keeps a Sig brace (or similar) at a longer length.

Others have addressed the legality issues.

For the actual brace, you should also STRONGLY consider a THordsen Customs buffer tube cover and saddle - very comfortable and affordable. THe cheekrest portion (top half) feels similar to a SOPMOD stock, and there's no big part protruding down to rest your shoulder on (unlike the SIG brace). I will tell you that if you shoulder it, it is a lot more comfortable than just the plain tube, and allows for an excellent cheek-weld. This item is less controversial than the sig brace because it doesn't look like (or act quite like) a variant of a seemingly regular stock. THere's also the Shockwave blade as another option.

Also, for those of you that care about technicalities -- the Midwest Industries pistol buffer tube w/ Thordsen stock, plus a 10.5" barrel makes for an overall length of 26.5" which is very cool.
    once a "handgun" gets to be over 26" it loses the "ability to be easily concealed" and can be considered a "firearm" instead of strictly a handgun, so it gets into a bit of gray area. This means that if one wanted to, they could put a vertical (yes, vertical, not just angled) foregrip on it and it would be considered a "firearm." Google it before you try to tell me differently :) If it were shorter, it could only take an angled foregrip without being considered an SBR (same reason you can't use a regular buttstock etc, since the barrel in under 16")

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Trying to make it a rifle....without making it a rifle...buy/build a rifle?

Just get a tax stamp and SBR it.
    problem solved

:+1: I feel like people that get ar pistols want a sbr with a folding stock but don't want to get the stamp....and settle for a dumb looking nub coming out of the back of the pistol.

.... I get it. An SBR can be a great option.
    Consider...
    1) some people know they're moving to another state and don't want to deal with the NFA hassle
    2) Other people don't want to pay the $200 based on being opposed ("moral grounds") to the tax existing at all
    3) EDITED -- erroneous info
    4) Some people don't want them to be registered
    5) Some people travel and want to take their ar pistol with them... without begging the ATF overlords permission months in advance (I know a trust helps alleviate this issue)

you can't insult someone for NOT wanting to get an SBR if they don't WANT an SBR.*
    *Assuming, of course, they know that there is the option to even go the SBR route. Many non-gun people don't realize this is even a viable option

EDIT: "insult" might be a bit strong, but I stand by the sentiment of this post. The OP was NOT asking about NFA items, so why sell him on that???

Last edited:

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    Consider...
    1) some people know they're moving to another state and don't want to deal with the NFA hassle
    2) Other people don't want to pay the $200 based on being opposed ("moral grounds") to the tax existing at all
    3) Some people don't want to grant the ATF potential access to their house
    5) Some people travel and want to take their ar pistol with them... without begging the ATF overlords permission months in advance (I know a trust helps alleviate this issue)

you can't insult someone for NOT wanting to get an SBR if they don't WANT an SBR.*
    *Assuming, of course, they know that there is the option to even go the SBR route. Many non-gun people don't realize this is even a viable option

Wasn't trying to insult​ anyone.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Consider...
    3) Some people don't want to grant the ATF potential access to their house
    5) Some people travel and want to take their ar pistol with them... without begging the ATF overlords permission months in advance (I know a trust helps alleviate this issue)...

I understand a lot of folks have sunk a lot of $ into stamps. ^^^This is a pretty big deal though, especially after the assault on our 2nd Amendment today.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Thordsen Buffer Tube Cover worked for me. A lot lighter and more compact than a Sig Brace. Cheaper too. It was either that or a Shockwave Blade.

AR%20Pistol%20SLD.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    Trying to make it a rifle....without making it a rifle...buy/build a rifle?

Just get a tax stamp and SBR it.
    problem solved

:+1: I feel like people that get ar pistols want a sbr with a folding stock but don't want to get the stamp....and settle for a dumb looking nub coming out of the back of the pistol.

In addition to all the other valid reason listed above by throttletony, the OP mentioned wanting to hunt with his AR pistol. If he's referring to deer hunting, it's only legal if he keeps it as a pistol. That's the main reason I've never gone ahead with getting a tax stamp for mine. I'll make do with the SIG brace so I can use it for (deer) hunting if I ever want to.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    In addition to all the other valid reason listed above by throttletony, the OP mentioned wanting to hunt with his AR pistol. If he's referring to deer hunting, it's only legal if he keeps it as a pistol. That's the main reason I've never gone ahead with getting a tax stamp for mine. I'll make do with the SIG brace so I can use it for (deer) hunting if I ever want to.

excellent point!

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The shockwave blade is a million times better than the sig in my opinion. Looks less silly too. You can get a tube that has spots for the set screw to locate in so you have an adjustable brace.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have the Shockwave on my AR 300BO build and am very happy with it. It's nice that it cost less than half what the Sig brace cost too. With a decent sling for bracing, it gives a good cheek weld and blade sits between my fore arm and sling making it very stable for legal shooting. I don't know if the Sig brace would work well like that. It may be bulky at the tail end.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    The shockwave blade is a million times better than the sig in my opinion. Looks less silly too. You can get a tube that has spots for the set screw to locate in so you have an adjustable brace.

Odin Works makes a tube and a collar for it, and then KAK and Midwest industries have tubes with a shoulder/ledge on them too (not moveable though)

tripwire96

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2014
    Fishers
    I own several stamped SBRs as well as a pistol lower with a Shockwave Blade. While the blade is not nearly as good as a true stock, it is worlds better than the Sig offerings and allows for easy interstate movement.

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    Just got me a used sig brace today cheap and I love it. But that's coming from a Phase5 tube and foam pad.. And as a truck gun if SHTF it works great as a stock ;)

Top Bottom