• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Hey, INGOers!

Just got back from completing my Glock Armorer re-cert. Learned new stuff as always, this time it was primarily related to the internal part changes on the Gen4 pistols. The new PowerPoint animations showing how the internal parts interact are also very good. I did pick up a few tidbits that y'all might be interested in hearing:

1) Glock will be unveiling two new guns at SHOT 2014 in January. The instructor, Lynn Freshly, did not specifically say they were *pistols*. Read into that what you will. He said he had handled both and they were "good guns". He also said "stay tuned" regarding Glock pistols in .380. No indication whether Glock plans to produce the 25 and 28 in the USA for the commercial market, or whether one of the new guns will be an entirely different model in that caliber.

2) Glock factory threaded barrels will be available as a regular production item after the first of the year.

3) A change to the trigger spring design will take place in the near future.

4) There is no physical difference between USA-made and Austrian-made Glock pistols, other than the markings. The ones made here are made on the *exact* same machinery and with the same quality as those made in Austria. For awhile, almost the entirety of USA-produced Glock pistols were being exported, and we were getting Austrian guns. Go figure.

5) As much as GlockTalk members might like to take credit for it, the official request for the Model 30S originated with the LAPD SIS (Special Investigative Service) division - the same guys who had a Kimber 1911 made for them several years ago.

6) Glock has not used the Tenifer process on their slides since 2011. Since then, they have used "nitration," which involves the use of gases rather than chemicals to regulate the treating process, giving a more consistent end result.

7) I find it interesting that every time I have taken the Armorers Course (5 times now; roughly every 3 years since 1999), there has been a different instructor and a different Regional Manager. Seems like Glock chews up employees and spits them out at a pretty fast rate.

FWIW.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey, INGOers!

1) Glock will be unveiling two new guns at SHOT 2014 in January. The instructor, Lynn Freshly, did not specifically say they were *pistols*. Read into that what you will. He said he had handled both and they were "good guns". He also said "stay tuned" regarding Glock pistols in .380. No indication whether Glock plans to produce the 25 and 28 in the USA for the commercial market, or whether one of the new guns will be an entirely different model in that caliber.

2) Glock factory threaded barrels will be available as a regular production item after the first of the year.

Shut-up-and-take-my-money-580x362.jpg

msk

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Do they offer the class for anybody who is willing to pay? I would be interested in taking it myself.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I happened to be on the Glock USA website last week. The .380's are listed on the site, but the images of them are darkened. I have no interest in them, but was on there looking up something else.

Jon

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Curious on point 3. Did they say why the trigger change, and what it will entail? Will it be on both Gen 3's and 4's and does it alter anything that would make new guns not backward compatible with older parts, etc?

Thanks for the update Mark.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Do they offer the class for anybody who is willing to pay?

No; you must be: 1) military or LE, 2) a dealer/dealer employee, or 3) a GSSF member. The latter is a relatively easy way for an "ordinary Earth person" to get into the class. Annual membership is like $30. Armorer's Course tuition is $195.00.

Did they say why the trigger change, and what it will entail? Will it be on both Gen 3's and 4's and does it alter anything that would make new guns not backward compatible with older parts, etc?

Very little information given, other than it was going to happen. It came up in the discussion when the instructor said his ideal Glock trigger would involve a NY style spring tuned to ~5 lbs, because of the greater durability, smoother pull and faster reset offered by that spring design. He said he had floated the idea to the folks in Austria, but because they were getting ready to change the spring design, he was pretty sure it wasn't going to happen.

I expect the design change, whatever it is, will affect both Gen3 and Gen4 guns.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I don't give a crap's butt about people and their hate of .380, I want a 25 and 28 in the worst way, literally. I actually bid on Gunbroker on an LE trade in 25, once it it 800 bucks, I turned in for the night. Something about the compact and subcompact (but big) for .380 screams awesome trainer gun for the girlfriend (which ever one I'm dating... :D ). A G19 in .380 seems just a nice, soft shooting gun in .380.

cswan

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Howard County
    I was told by a very reliable source that the american made .380 will be introduced at the 2014 shot show too. Might be a step towards a single stack 9. Maybe wishful thinking..

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I think it's about time Glock makes a pistol caliber carbine! I will take one in 9mm and one in 10mm please. Maybe that's what the two new guns are? Hmmmm........:popcorn:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Does that mean both mine & my wife's Gen 3 G19's are obsolete.

Not just no, but HELL no! Glock is still producing the Gen3 guns side-by-side with Gen4. And even if/when they stop building new Gen3 pistols, they will still make the necessary parts. I was amazed at how many "legacy" parts Glock still produces to support older guns. Which is a good thing, as all my 9mm Glocks save for my 26 are 2-pin frames. :fogey:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    6) Glock has not used the Tenifer process on their slides since 2011. Since then, they have used "nitration," which involves the use of gases rather than chemicals to regulate the treating process, giving a more consistent end result.

I know better than to belive everything I read on the internet. I trust your opinion as you are employed at a large busy LGS. I only own older gen 3 Glocks all pre 2011. I have read that the finish on the new American made (non Tenifer) slides are not as durable finish wise as the older Glock finish.

Question: What is your opinion?

4) There is no physical difference between USA-made and Austrian-made Glock pistols, other than the markings. The ones made here are made on the *exact* same machinery and with the same quality as those made in Austria. For awhile, almost the entirety of USA-produced Glock pistols were being exported, and we were getting Austrian guns. Go figure.

Again I don't own a Gen 4 Glock. This question is based on my vast :rolleyes: knowledge gained from the interwebs.
    There is discussion about Gen 4 Glocks, American made, having warped frames, ie; Pignose. I won't mention names (TheYankeeMarshal) has a video on how to straighten out the frame (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGhsyh3Gvrc). He does mention that Austrian guns suffered from Pignose also but I have never seen one.

Question do you see problems with Pignose frames on American made Glocks?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have read that the finish on the new American made (non Tenifer) slides are not as durable finish wise as the older Glock finish.

Don't confuse the slide finish (i.e. the black stuff) with the Tenifer or nitration process (which is basically a heat-treating process that surface-hardens the metal to a depth of several thousandths of an inch). The slide finish has undergone a number of formula "tweaks" over the past several years, most recently from a sort of textured look to a smoother appearance, as Glock has attempted to strike a balance between abrasion and corrosion resistance. We have examples of both US and Austrian built guns in the shop, with both finish types. The smooth finish is the newer standard, and should provide better corrosion resistance, albeit with slightly less abrasion resistance. No matter what the finish, the metal underneath is still protected by the nitration process. Both the slide finish and the nitration process are the same, regardless of where the gun was built.

Question do you see problems with Pignose frames on American made Glocks?

I have never seen or even heard of that phenomenon on ANY Glock, until just now. :dunno:

I'm betting his "pignose" gun would've run just fine without having to take a heat gun to it.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Thanks for the info shooter. I figured as much. I had never heard or seen the Pignose phenomenon until that video. If you google pignose glock you can see in some forums people say that it is a very common problem.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Curious on point 3. Did they say why the trigger change, and what it will entail? Will it be on both Gen 3's and 4's and does it alter anything that would make new guns not backward compatible with older parts, etc?

Thanks for the update Mark.
    JMHO, but they will probably copy S&W, just like they did with the adj. backstraps..... :laugh:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I second every thing Shooter said, as I went through the class again July 9th . We had a fella from Glock who claimed to be the newest District Manager then too. My class was at the Hamilton County Sheriffs Office 95% LEO class. I loved the GUNNY, commercials after his Be back in your seats in 10 min breaks.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    My USA made Glock slide has the dark-coppery Teflon frying pan finish, rough looking but slippery feeling. An Austria made one I had exhibited the dull dark gray finish which is more grippy. I wish Glock would quit jacking around with the slide finish and stay with the dark black Teflon-like finish from a few years ago. That stuff is indestructible.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County

I'm curious as to the purported lack of Tenifer treatment on post-2011 pistols. My G23 is an early 2013 and it (the paperwork that is) clearly states that it is Tenifer treated. Edit: Just finished reading Glock website, they still use the Tenifer treatment as a selling point. I am now more confused, awesome. Additionally, the gases must also be chemicals. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom