• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Had to go to my parents house this evening for some family stuff. While I was there, figured I might as well put some rounds thru my new M&P 9c.

I had 2 malfunctions. And I'm not sure if they are mag related. I've never encountered this before.

The slide was stuck open. And I saw the brass was still in the barrel. And the next round from the mag was forward, and lodged against the brass, keeping it inside the barrel.

I attempted the 'tap rack bang!', but it didn't do any good. And when I attempted to eject the mag, it was stuck in place.
    So I had to force the slide open more, and use my finger to move the round so I can remove the brass which was in the barrel.

Once that was done, I inserted the mag in again, and finished it off. Put the next mag in, and didn't have any problems.
    I then reloaded my mags, and then I had the problem all over again. When I was able to fix it, like before, I shot thru 2 more mags without any problems.

I've no idea if it was the magazine. Or if it was ammo related. It was 115 grain Federal FMJ, that I got from Wal-Mart. Or if it was just a regular malfunction.

I don't know which magazine it was, but I loaded the mags up again before I called it quits, and had no problems that time.

I'm hoping someone can give me some info.
    Here's some pictures:

9ab482ed.jpg

0de7b77a.jpg

1b312b84.jpg

c755aa1d.jpg

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I am far from being an expert but it could be extractor issue or the rim on the back of the ammo may be too small (bad batch of brass)

twostepadin

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    Rockville Indiana
    that usually happens when the extractor fails to eject the round, then tries to feed the next one. happens to my brother's walther p22 with newer smith mags. based on the pictures your gun is obviously in mint condition. so id leave your mags loaded for a bout a month or so to tame the springs a bit. wouldnt hurt to brush clean that extractor either. but for all this typing it may never happen again M&P seem to be a good gun.

id guess this one would be a pull-rack-tap-rack bang. :P

Yote69

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Logansport
    If you do send it to them they will repair the problem as well as polish the ramp and go through other items. Your pistol will be better than off the shelf, that's how Smith takes care of any customer complaints that I have seen or been told about. It will take about 2 week.s total for return

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's called a phase 3 malfunction. NYPD had issues with their Glock 19's. It could be something from the magazines or ammunition but is most probably the extractor more times than not. On phase 3/double feed malfunctions you have to at least lock the slide back because there is a lot of force being pushed on the magazine onto/against the mag release so it wont really want to be released unless the slide is locked back. The clearing procedures in a situation is 1 RIP (remove magazine) 2. Rack (slide a couple times) 3. Tap (a new magazine into the weapon) 4. Rack again (to chamber a round) and 5 Shoot.

I would finnsh your ammo off and try some different types and see if there is a pattern. If so then call S&W they will repair it. Good luck

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I only had the 2 malfunctions, and put 200 rounds thru it today. But have 300 total.
    So I'll shoot the rest later, and find a different brand to try.

And I'll just see what happens. I'm really hoping I won't have to send it to S&W.

AF Gunner

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Jul 26, 2011
    North East, Indiana
    What we have here is a failure to..... extract.
    As already explained it happens when the extractor does not do it's job and pull the fired case from the chamber. Then as the slide moves forward to load the next round it get wedged between the spent shell and the slide.

As suggested above I would take it out and shoot it again and if you continue to have an issue send it to S&W, they will take care of you. Sure it sucks but it will work when you get it back. Now on to clearing.

If you are shooting and you are practicing you should practice failure drills.
    First - Tap Rack and Bang, This will not work for this type of failure.
    Second - Some say strip the mag and let the slide go forward but as mentioned above the mag is under pressure and it is very hard to get the mag out. So I always lock the slide to the rear then strip the mag, which can still be hard because of that round that half way out of the mag.
    Third - as you strip the bad mag shake the gun to try to dislodge the spent case and extra round that may have fallen out of you mag. Note: You do retain the mag, but that mag is suspect. So if you have another go to that next.
    Forth - Send the slide forward. If the case did not come it will give it another chance to grab the case.
    Fifth - Insert the new / fresh mag and rack the slide.
    Sixth - Bang!!! Hopefully.
    Like I said this is how I train for a failure in a gun fight. And if you don't train like you fight you may revert to bad habits of...... or simply lock up.
    Now, sure if it happens repeated times while shooting we have an issue and need to really look into it to see what's going on.

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had a couple of FTE's with my M&P9 pro during my first couple of hundred rounds through it. It's my first pistol so my grip my very well have been at fault. I wouldn't ship out just yet. I've got 1600 rounds through it now and after those first few malfunctions, it runs like a clock now.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I've no idea if it was the magazine. Or if it was ammo related. It was 115 grain Federal FMJ, that I got from Wal-Mart. Or if it was just a regular malfunction.

You've got some great advice above but I just wanted to add that I have used this ammo and just about every other brand through my M&P with no issues. Love the M&P, hope you get yours sorted!

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Happened to me a couple of times when my M&P40 was new. Had to drive the empty case out with a dowel rod once. Switched ammo, never happened again. A couple of hundred rounds later, tried the suspect ammo again with zero issues. 1000+ rounds later has never happened since. Just keep shooting it.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You've got some great advice above but I just wanted to add that I have used this ammo and just about every other brand through my M&P with no issues. Love the M&P, hope you get yours sorted!

Same here, 1000 rds through the wife's 9c (mostly UMC, some Winny), no FTE. Lucky I guess.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Like others have said, type 3, failure to extract.

I like the ditty as follows:
    Lock
    Strip
    Rack Rack Rack
    Insert
    Rack

Lock the slide back
    Strip the mag
    Rack the slide 3 times to clear the round
    Insert a new mag (or the old one if it is your only one)
    Rack the slide to insert a new round

I can do this malfunction clearance in about the time it takes to say the ditty and I bet you could too with enough practice. Good drill to know for sure. Call S&W and see if they can send you a new spring maybe?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I've had a few failures to extract on my M&P357 as well, they were all within the first 1k rounds or so. I stopped using chunky-dirty AA#7 powder, and the problem hasn't come back up. At some point, I'll get the Apex extractor.

Top Bottom