• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont see many revolvers chambered in 9mm, why is that? :dunno:
    I dont actually know any besides the Taurus 905 that are currently made.

taurpic2905029.jpg

Im wondering wat could be the use for one.
    For the same price and size (a slim pistol would be even smaller) you can get a semi-auto pistol with more rounds capacity that would work much better as a carry gun.

The only thing I can think of, and that's why I got interested by one, just for the sake of owning a revolver, is that if you want to get a revolver and already have a stach of 9mm, you dont need to start to buy another type caliber.

What do you think?
    Do you have one? (905 or other model)

:ingo:

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I've been told it has something to do with the ridge on the casing of a 9mm round. They do not extend out past the periphery of the casing say like a 38 spec. This makes ejecting the empty casing from a relvolver difficult.

Please do not take my words as gospel here, OK? When I was looking for a 9mm for my first carry weapon, I seem to remember someone telling me that. But I could be very wrong.

Hope that helps? :dunno:

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    A lot of 9mm and (and I think .45acp for that matter) revolvers use moon or half-moon clips. Not sure about the Taurus.

I suppose if your full size cary weapon was a 9mm, and you wanted the reliability of a revolver as your backup, they could share the same ammo.
    9mm also does better out of a short barrel than the .38 special, it doesn't lose as much velocity.

I agree that in 9mm there are better options in the semi autos, which is probably why you don't see them that often.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I believe there have been several convertable models over the years, 357/9mm, 45 colt/45 acp, etc.. You're right though, not many around! And yes I believe they use half moon clips.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    ditto to the last two posts. Most revolvers use ammo that has a lip/rim. (.38 spl., .357., .44, .22, etc.) It's all about functionality. If you have to use an extra piece (like a half-moon clip) to hold the casings in the cylinder, it's already problematic, and adds and extra step and piece that's otherwise unnecessary. THe opposite is true in semi-autos, where not having a lip is advantageous. The ejector can hold the case much more solidly. I hope that makes sense. In theory they could make a revolver that would shoot any caliber, but it makes sense for them to make revolvers in calibers that have a lip/rim at the bottom of the case. Feel free to correct my terminology... I'm no expert but I understand the basic concept in this case.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Do you not find many 9mm revolver because semi-auto pistol are so reliable now and offer much more capacity for the same size?
    I understand people who like revolvers better than pistols for the .22 caliber.
    Most of .22 handguns have about 10 rounds capacity (both revolvers and pistols) and in that caliber revolvers are just more reliable than pistols.
    But I dont understand why someone would want a 9mm revolver.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I shot a Smith 625 revolver in IDPA. It used full moon clips that held all six .45acp rounds in one piece. Loading was quick and easy, and emptying the cylinder was flawless. They make a model 610 that does the same thing with .40 S&W. I have seen some Rugers that could be ordered for 9mm, but the market really does not support that demand. A .38 works so well in that size pistol, and Safariland makes those great CompIII style speedoaders, very few would want to buy anything else.

At least in a revolver, a reloader would not have to pick his spent brass off the ground.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The Ruger SP101 is avail. in 9mm. The taurus is a clone of it I think. I personally don't get it....Yes to all who commented about the difference in rim design auto ammo has a rim designed for the ejector to grab and revolver ammo has a lip on the rim to keep it from falling through the cylinder and jamming the wheel up...typically.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Revolvers in semi auto calibers have some advantages...

Moon clips make reloading faster than rimmed revolver cartridges in speed loaders. How fast? Google Jerry Miculek.

Second, the short pistol cartridge is easily ejected from the cylinder, so empties are less likely to stick or get stuck. The next time you look at a snub nose revolver in .38 Special, compare the length of the case to how far the ejector pushes them out. It's worse with a .357 Magnum. The ejectors are plenty long for the 9mm and .45 ACP cases (most common).

The disadvantage is in the same size gun you could have 12 rounds instead of five or six.

Ruger also made the Security Six/Speed Six in 9mm. Today they offer the Blackhawk with extra 9mm cylinders (.357 Blackhawk) and .45 ACP cylinders (.45 Colt Blackhawk).

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    As a carrier of 9mm for primary, I can see a 9mm revolver as a good choice, especially if one reloads that cartridge. The moon clips are necessary, but would take the place of a speed loader right?

As mentioned above it would not lose as much velocity as the .38 spl in a short barrel and brass could be captured easier. I think you just talked me in to talking myself into a 9mm wheel gun...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    My Smith doesn't use clips, it has spring loaded beryllium copper pins that catch the extraction groove in front of the cartridge head.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I think I would enjoy having a revolver with an interchangeable cylinders; sort of like this one.

ARCUS Co.

(Navigate to Products/Firearms/Revolvers)

Just to have something to help you shoot up all that extra ammo, and so that one day, if a specific type of ammo is cheaper, you're more likely to have something that can shoot it.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Since I already have a couple of 9mm semi's, I wouldn't mind having a 9mm revolver as a SHTF back up. I mean, I already have the stockpile of 9mm and it's so common that you would have a good chance of finding it. Just makes life simpler if you only need one handgun caliber and one rifle caliber. It makes it easier to stockpile.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    I know it is a week old...

Another benefit to the 9mm revolver is a 9mm round out of a 2" barrel is comparable to a 357 magnum out of a 2" barrel. Standard velocity 9mm preforms similar to 38spl and 9mm +p compares to a 357 magnum. Yes, a 357 can be loaded up, but would not often be done for a 2" CCW. Also, the 9mm round is much cheaper that the 38spl and the 357 magnum, which allows for the most important thing, practice.

Top Bottom