• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Ok so for those of you who have not seen my other thread recently, I did the chop on my Glock 22 to take G23 mags. It was MUCH easier than I thought it would be so I thought I would post a step by step with some pics.

First thing I did was "measure" the gun next to a G23. I found that if I cut at such an angle that I was connecting the top of the cutout on the front of the frame at the bottom with the bottom of the texture on the back of the frame I would leave enough room to sand down to the shape I wanted.
    5127408259_4ac7ee382e_m.jpg

Give Yourself Room For Mistakes

I started cutting along the line I made on the side of the frame, and then when I got a groove to work with I rotated the frame and started cutting from the front to the back using a hack saw.
    5128014692_c7b1ba69e3_m.jpg

Hack Saw Away

When I got the first chunk cut off I sanded down the frame with 100 grit sandpaper until the G23 magazine fit. (it was kinda snug because I had not chopped off the back of the frame and so it pushed forward on the magazine base plate.
    5127410741_d471e729c4_m.jpg

Check The Fit Often While Sanding

After sanding down to leave a little gap (like it would be stock) I measured for the cut of the rear of the frame and started on that with the hack saw.
    5129195576_4ae7a95664_m.jpg

Chopped Off The Back

When the back of the frame was off I sanded it smooth with 100 grit and then took 150 to the whole bottom to smooth it all out.
    5129200100_f256635a99_m.jpg

Sanded It Smooth

After that I did the stippling (see other videos and threads on this, there are a ton) and when the iron had cooled I switched out the tip for a tip that held a razor blade. With the heated razor blade I was able to make the bevel of the magwell.
    5128605721_f8a8784c48_m.jpg

Magwell

When everything was done I hit the whole thing with some 1000 grit wet sand paper to smooth it all out.
    5129203836_89f7abfdff_m.jpg

Carry Mode

5129205038_ae0a25ffd9_m.jpg

Night Stand Mode

The whole set of pics can be found here: Chopping - a set on Flickr

Last edited:

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Great job! Have you noticed a difference when carrying?

I feel like it doesn't print as much as it used to with the G23 mags in it. I did so much at once (chop and texture) that it feels completely different, but it still points the same because the "hump" is the same.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    thats cool i am looking to do something like that to mine i just hate to mess it up

I was REALLY nervous to try this, but I am so glad I did. As long as you follow the basic rule of measure twice cut once and leave yourself some extra material on that you can sand down, it will come out great. For the chop I only used a hacksaw, and a 2x4 with 100 or 150 grit sandpaper. If you want to remake the bevel all you would really need is a candle and an exacto knife. And to do the stippling just use a wood burner/soldering iron.

Cheap to do this and very easy. I love it.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom