Building a AR15 with a 80% polymer lower.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Here's another fun project. A James Madison 80% polymer lower receiver and a 16 inch carbine upper. All built from kits.

The lower was designed to be able to be done with a mill or a drill press. I don't think I'd try this with a drill press. But it could be done. Just not by me! Especially since I have a mill!

The receiver is a James Madison 80% polymer. The upper kit came from a seller on weaponguild.com. It's a generic kit. The lower parts kit came from Remauto1187's parts stash. Thanks Mike! The buffer tube, butt stock and tooling came from JSE surplus. I bought the correct block to hold the receiver and the upper correctly. I bought a multi wrench to bolt the barrel and the buffer tube correctly. I doubt this will be my last build so the tools will be handy!

I used my 3:1 lathe/mill. It's an older Harbor Freight that I got a deal on a few ears ago. Basically was new when I got it. I have since added DRO's and a Aloris style tool post for the lathe side of things. It's a awesome machine for general gunsmithing stuff.

This is the lower with the milling jig. Picture courtesy of James Madison website.

This receiver is from there first batch of production. There turned out to be errors with the jig. I lucky when to there website and got updated instructions before I got started. Here is the jig/receiver in the mill vice.

I am centering the bit in the hole. This it the selector switch hole. the original directions said to drill the holes 3/4 way threw the receiver and flip it over and drill the other side. The jig was made wrong. the New directions say the fix is to just drill all the way threw the receiver. The holes lined up perfectly. The new jigs/receivers have bend updated

I did not get any pics of milling the trigger pocket (hard to film and cut lol) but it is straight forward. Just mill inside the lines. The directions give the depth of the different areas. It came out great. the trigger and the selector fits and functions fine.

I forgot to mention my assistant. My son "J" He help a lot with the upper barrel assembly. He learn a new tool. A torque wrench. He did well. He lined the gas tube hole up perfectly. He is really interested in gunsmithing and mechanics in general. I am proud of that. he's getting to be just like the old man. He is even learning how to run the mill and the lathe.

He did not like the smell of the Moly Lube we used on the barrel and the barrel nut. I told him he'll get used to it if he's a real man lol.

Here it is! It shoots perfect. And J is a really happy! I still need to tinker with he flash hider. I need some index washers to line it up correctly.

I did have one PIA situation with the gas block. I could not get the roll pin in. I would get it started and it would bend. I shake to much due to some health issues :-( But I don't let it get me down! I ended up using the drill press as a arbor press. I flipped a drill bit upside down and us it as the punch. I was able to push my bent pin out and press the new pin in. It all worked out well. Problem solved.

The next AR 80% build will be a aluminum one. I learned a lot doing this one. It was fun to build another gun with my son! Hopefully we have many more builds in our future. Another Sten gun is ready to be welded but that a subject for another post...

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's a .223/5.56 build. This poly lower is suppose to handle:
    .17 HMR, .22 LR, .223/5.56, .204 Ruger, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 SPC, 6.5 SPC II, 9mm, .50 Beowolf, .300 AAC

I feel totally comfortable with the .223/5.56

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Glad to see you got the bent gas tube roll pin situation straightened out...you see what I did there? :): Nice milling machine you got there. I need to invest in one myself. I might have to give the 80% poly lowers a try myself jsut because they are so cheap and unpapered. But first I got my 80% LR308 to do! :rockwoot:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Glad to see you got the bent gas tube roll pin situation straightened out...you see what I did there? :): Nice milling machine you got there. I need to invest in one myself. I might have to give the 80% poly lowers a try myself jsut because they are so cheap and unpapered. But first I got my 80% LR308 to do! :rockwoot:

Ya got me there :(

Did you get a jig with that? I am still undecided on who's aluminum 80% to go with. Tactical Machining's are really popular. I a going to sick with .223/5.56 I have tons of ammo. I hate to have to stock another caliber. Plus 308 seems to disappear every time a election comes around!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

If you were closer you would be welcome to try to mill it on my machine. It's nothing special but it gets the job done. I might order a aluminum lower tonight. I keep try to talk my self out of it but I am not convincing enough!:(

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    If you were closer you would be welcome to try to mill it on my machine. It's nothing special but it gets the job done. I might order a aluminum lower tonight. I keep try to talk my self out of it but I am not convincing enough!:(
    As long as you dont answer yourself...you are good to go. I might have to take you up on that. I dont know if my drill press can handle the LR308 receiver trigger pocket. I have to go up to south bend a couple times this summer anyway.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I am going to limit myself to advising that you review your third paragraph and consider some of the things that can come to mind when one is a bit tired and loopy.

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I really wouldn't recommend trying this on a drill press. Even if you get the proper mill bit, you still run in to the possibility of head chatter. Chatter can cause some serious issues and even damage the drill press.
    Just a thought.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I really wouldn't recommend trying this on a drill press. Even if you get the proper mill bit, you still run in to the possibility of head chatter. Chatter can cause some serious issues and even damage the drill press.
    Just a thought.

The polymer machines so easy. You could probably do it ok. But the aluminum Na.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Im wanting to do one of these so bad just need the money and buy one from a private party since the alphabet police raided ep and ares i dont want to chance it with another brand

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Im wanting to do one of these so bad just need the money and buy one from a private party since the alphabet police raided ep and ares i dont want to chance it with another brand

EP was doing things so wrong. They did not follow the rules. I would not fear buying one of these. I am looking at a aluminum 80% as the next AR build.

nice. I didn't know 80% lowers were available in polymer.

how much time did it take?

It went pretty fast. Probably 15 minutes or so.

Looks great man.

Thank you!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I had time to take it to the range today. I put 80 flawless round threw it! I am really happy with everything but the scope. I am going to go with open sights on this one. That's a subject for another post.

wlr2

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I had time to take it to the range today. I put 80 flawless round threw it! I am really happy with everything but the scope. I am going to go with open sights on this one. That's a subject for another post.
    Very nice indeed! Contemplating a poly lower myself, after I rebuild my mill. Computer freaking turned into a self deprecating zombie and ate its self.
    Is your mill manual or computerized?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    It's a manual mill. I did add a DRO. That's a must if you don't CNC it. I have the stuff to CNC this but I am holding out until I get a little more experience with this thing.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Very cool project buddy! Glad you could get the boy involved!

I was skeptical of the poly lowers, until I got one for my birthday last year! Built it on the cheap, since I still wasn't sure of it, but after I pinned an upper on it and shot it, all apprehension went away! I figured there would be a lot of flex/feedback under recoil, but it felt exactly as it should, only lighter! I wouldn't want to go into battle with it, but as a range toy/backup gun, (Mine is actually a backup for my backup!), I don't think you can go wrong!

Top Bottom