• 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    History:

The Sten gun's were developed out of necessity during WW2. It was 500+ round per minute sub machine gun that also could be fired semi-auto. It fired from an open bolt. Not a very complex gun. Less then 40 parts were used in the final design. Most of the troops hated them because they were finicky little SOB's at time's but they did the job. Many Nazi's lost there lives to it. And it helped win the war. Better guns were made but none came from the drawing board to the battle field faster. Enough history from me. There is much info on line if you are interested. It is a interesting read.

So why would anyone in there right mind want to build such a gun when you could just build a AR15. Well this is a part of history that is disappearing fast. It's great to keep history alive. It's a gun that can be build with little gun building skills. You need at minimum a dremel, a few files, drill bit's and a welder or someone that can weld. The Indianapolis Ordnance semi auto kits are great. I highly recommend them because of there known track record. Plus they are in Indiana! It's an expensive build. But I think it's rewarding enough to be worth it.

Here is the demilled kit:

This is the semi auto conversion kit from Indianapolis Ordnance:

This kit has the top sight rail like the original. It is the only kit to have the rail that I know of. It makes the gun look more original:

The top rail might keep me from using my mill to do the tube. My vise won't hold it right. i might make a adaptor to go over the rail so I can hold it in my vise. We'll see. I can always dremel.

More info to come as it progresses.

Last edited:

hrearden

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    There are more STEN builders on here than I realized. I got an MKIII kit years ago when I still didnt know what I was doing and screwed it up (I know, I know. Screwed up a STEN?!). I kept a lot of parts from it. I wish I would have kept all the extra mags that came with it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    What did you keep? It might be possible to bring it back to life! If you are't going to do anything I'd be interested in the parts. PM me!

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Please keep posting as you work on this. Love the history, I have an Aussie issue SMLE dated 1914 I brought back from a butcher job.

It broke me heart to discover a Sten kit could not be made full auto legally, it's the only full auto I ever wanted (well... a Lewis gun).

YHJ

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Even though it's now a semi it is still fun to shoot. 15 lb trigger and all lol! I'll for sure keep the updates coming!

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I'm surprised that there aren't any companies doing builds of these.

I think Apex still has a lot of parts and some kits in stock if anyone here is wanting to do a build.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I agree. It's a simple enough build. All the Stens are pretty much simple. If it is not commy gun no one seems interested. They are way easier then a AK. There are a lot of kit's floating around. The Mark II's seem to be the harder to find.

I would love to see a lot more Indiana Sten builder's! I think there are 3 more in the works.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I got mine completely de milled, but the cold weather is killing me, no garage work for me either. I order the tube(receiver) this week. I'm stuck between the one with the sight and the vented one. Then black paint and into the oven at work for 3 or 4 hours to bake it. The sighted one will be OK to cook. It's welded on.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I went with the full length sight rail. It looks a little closer to original. I noticed that IO have 16in barrel back in stock yesterday. I would snag one if you are doing a carbine. If you want I can work with you on the 922r crap. I think I have a plan! "I think" is the key word in that phrase. lol

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    I'm interested in them but I have no idea what to look for in the kits or parts. There is a lot more information out there on AKs which makes it easy to put together. I see all the Sten MKs at apex but need a starting point first.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The Sten is a much easier build then a AK. The AK is a better weapon but a lot more work. needs more special tools. You can build a Sten with as little as a dremel tool and a welder. The Mark III is the most common. Indianapolis Ordnance (indianapolisordnance.com) sells a semi auto kit that includes everything you need to turn a demilled kit in to a functioning gun. You will have to follow the 922r rules and reg's to build a carbine. Most guy's just build a pistol. Check out my Sten Mark II build to get the rough ideal https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...7-building-sten-mark-ii-semi-auto-pistol.html

Apex's is a great source for kits. Stenparts.com and AA-OK.com are great for parts. Although AA sucks at fast shipping.

If I can answer and more questions just ask.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am getting back on track. The last piece of the puzzle arrived today. A 16 inch barrel. I will be doing this as a carbine. I ordered the barrel from Terry at Hellbox Armory. When I ordered the SA kit from Indianapolis Arms they were out of stock on the 16" barrel. It took a while to get it but In Terry's defense he was up front about being slow to ship due to health issues. I can relate to that. NP

It's getting warmer so I will be able to work in the shop some more. I'll be back with updates!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I got to feeling better and the garage was warmer (just a little). I spent a about 20 minutes on the mill. I got a bit more done. Here is the front barrel section before cutting it up:

Why drill when you can mill right? Na I was just being lazy:

Punching out the rivets! Note to self: Don't use cheap punches. They just bend and break.

Here is the front trunnion and the barrel out. It was a bit of a PIA. The barrel had a been peaned on the end. I'd guess from being dropped or ran in to a brick wall lot! I had to file the peening off the edge and it came right off.

The PIA was rescuing the finger guard. It took longer to get this off without bending it then it did to take the rest of the project apart.

I'll strip the receiver-trigger guard next. More to come when I get off my butt !

Enjoy and feel free to comment, The good, the bad and the ugly.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am looking forward to warmer weather too! I have so many projects. Including a 80% AR15 lower. The list grows.

Currant 80% projects to finish:

4 more Sten's

2 PPS43's

2 10-22's

1 AR15

Going to be a busy summer :spend:

Top Bottom