• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I have never really heard both sides of this debate.

What reasons, if any, should Intellectual Property rights be considered Government Interventionism? Why should it not be included as a necessary part of Capitalism?

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    The hard-core Libertarians do not believe in intellectual property and believe that the intellectual essence of anything you've created can be freely used by anyone else the moment you manufacture it or express it on paper.

If you design a new fuel-injection system that lets cars get 5,000 miles, per gallon, you are only entitled to make a profit on your design if you can manufacture it cheaper than anyone else. You say you're in inventor who designs for a living? They say "too bad." It's now everyone's.

I view that position as the outright theft of the economic output of an entire occupation in the division of labor.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you design a new fuel-injection system that lets cars get 5,000 miles, per gallon, you are only entitled to make a profit on your design if you can manufacture it cheaper than anyone else.

The problem with this is the word "entitled". In a true free market, you are not entitled to anything. The product of your efforts will only have the value that someone is willing to pay for it.

We have a system where the government creates a fake demand for the "inventor" job market by holding back the supply in the supply/demand equation. This is done to spur more growth, research and development.

I'm not necessarily saying this is a bad thing. But I can understand why proponents of liberty would be opposed to the government holding back the supply of a certain product in order to artificially raise its market value.

I think this leaves two questions.

Does this artificial demand actually help us to advance technologically?

If so, is the sacrifice of liberty worth it?

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    (pretty much my thoughts copied from another thread...)

I am pro-capitalism/free market(and libertarian), Without Govt. intervention in not allowing others to merely copy a product, innovation would suffer greatly. If corporation "A" spends several million in research, and developement, should Corp. "B" be allowed to make an exact duplicate of the product while only using a miniscule fraction of money for their own development of said product? Corp. "B" would then be able to offer this product for significantly less because they would not have to recoup for the initial enormous investment Corp "A" had in the research and developement. This would allow Corp. "B" to excell in the market and unlitmately Corp. "A" would never recover. And thats assuming there is only one other competitor. If there was a price war amongst 2 or 3 Corp. who made copies, this would speed up the demise of Corp. "A".

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    The problem with your argument is that it proceeds from a context shift of the word "entitled."

I'm not totally sure what you mean by this.

I was just trying to point out the difference between the government entitling you to a certain profit and the inherent value of your product creating that certain profit.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'm not totally sure what you mean by this.

I was just trying to point out the difference between the government entitling you to a certain profit and the inherent value of your product creating that certain profit.

It means he generally prefers to focus on failed semantics and logical constructs rather than dealing with ideas as presented.

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    (pretty much my thoughts copied from another thread...)

I am pro-capitalism/free market(and libertarian), Without Govt. intervention in not allowing others to merely copy a product, innovation would suffer greatly. If corporation "A" spends several million in research, and developement, should Corp. "B" be allowed to make an exact duplicate of the product while only using a miniscule fraction of money for their own development of said product? Corp. "B" would then be able to offer this product for significantly less because they would not have to recoup for the initial enormous investment Corp "A" had in the research and developement. This would allow Corp. "B" to excell in the market and unlitmately Corp. "A" would never recover. And thats assuming there is only one other competitor. If there was a price war amongst 2 or 3 Corp. who made copies, this would speed up the demise of Corp. "A".

That's correct. The hard-core Libertarians approve of what you just described.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Oh, how the conquered do protest.

Much to your displeasure, you can't proceed from false premises, and you can't change the meaning of words.

"conquered"...very cute.

You're obviously a bright kid. Why don't you step out of battlefield logic text and step into the real world where people discuss things civilly, rather than try to gain points, score wins, or "conquer"?

You can still point out logical fallacies but, if you do it with a kind hand, you might actually serve your cause, whatever that might be.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Oh, how the conquered do protest.

Much to your displeasure, you can't proceed from false premises, and you can't change the meaning of words.

entitledAadjective
    1 entitled

qualified for by right according to law; "we are all entitled to equal protection under the law"

So entitled means you only receive that profit because by law you are qualified.

My point is that in a true free market, no law should be necessary to qualify you for that profit.

So how did I change the meaning of the word?

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    "conquered"...very cute.

You're obviously a bright kid. Why don't you step out of battlefield logic text and step into the real world where people discuss things civilly, rather than try to gain points, score wins, or "conquer"?

You can still point out logical fallacies but, if you do it with a kind hand, you might actually serve your cause, whatever that might be.

Try publishing a journal article with the "real world" rigor you learn here. This place is fun, but it ain't the bigs. When it comes to regimented and exacting discourse, this place is a long way from the "real world."

You can have all the tavern chat you want, but I'll be playing at a higher level.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Try publishing a journal article with the "real world" rigor you learn here. This place is fun, but it ain't the bigs. When it comes to regimented and exacting discourse, this place is a long way from the "real world."

You can have all the tavern chat you want, but I'll be playing at a higher level.

Congratulations on your excellent rigor. Please feel free to play through.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County

Wow. You make some good points sometimes. But if your arrogant condescending manner represents the "higher level", I'll be glad to just hang out with Lex in the tavern.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I've been involved in IP discussions regarding my own work, and the decision was ultimately left up to me. I chose to release it into the wild. I've never regretted the decision, as my innovation will spread to the work of others and help them to create better products just as my own product was improved by it.

One of the greatest criticisms that can be leveled against technological advancement in hardware is that there isn't enough iteration in design. Bringing more iterations into the design process results in better products, and slowing or stopping iteration results in relatively worse products. It is an inescapable consequence of the IP process that the iterative design cycles are necessarily reduced.

Another criticism of IP is that it permits people to lock up ideas. Ideas (as regards technology) are no good to the rest of us unless they're actually implemented. It's possible (and indeed it's already happening) for a company to simply patent/copyright various ideas, never create a product that does anything with it, and then wait to sue folks who independently come up with something very similar, making money on IP instead of products. It's an abuse of the idea of IP, and disregards completely the fact that many ideas are convergent -- that is, at some points in technological progress, there are junctures of advancement where multiple people will come to the exact same conclusion about what's "next". The problem with IP is that it rewards the first to get to the Patent Office, not the first to get to market with a product people can use.

At the same time, as I've said, I've been in the position of having to decide whether to protect my own IP. I already had a product in the market, and we were receiving some accolades for the improvements I'd made, and I would have been sorely disappointed to see someone else take my idea, copyright it for themselves, and then sue us for using "their" copyrighted material. IP allows people to do this. Frankly, all I wanted was credit for the idea -- the truly exciting part of the thing was what the idea did, not the idea in and of itself. If others could make similar improvements to their products using my idea (or a convergent idea with the same results), that was even cooler.

Granted, other innovators might not want that sort of result from their efforts, and I'm not sure -- which is to say, I haven't fully decided -- whether their concerns are sufficient for me to restrain my opposition to IP.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    That's correct. The hard-core Libertarians approve of what you just described.

I dunno, smoking. I'm a pretty hardcore libertarian (lower case intentional); in fact, the only thing I've heard from that group with which I disagree is the concept of borders and immigration. Because our system is NOT libertarian and does reward whoever shows up, I can't back that position.

Much the same way, because it's always easier to copy a breakthrough than it is to create one, I can't back a concept which harms, albeit financially, the one who works to create and rewards the copycat.

I am for minimal government and minimal government intervention. I can also see how copyright and patent law contradicts that. This is something on which I'll need to do some thinking... however, it's not something on which I'm going to make an absolute stand.

Wow. You make some good points sometimes. But if your arrogant condescending manner represents the "higher level", I'll be glad to just hang out with Lex in the tavern.

Steveh has addressed here what I've thought, reading which of your posts I have: Arrogance, abrasiveness, and belittling condescension don't win people to your way of thinking; quite the reverse. You don't seem to care about such things as "friends" here, so it may not matter to you, but to me, it comes across as a lesson in how to lose friends and alienate people.

INGO is not a contest, not a courtroom, not a competition. You don't get points for "winning" or "conquering" others. Well, you do, sometimes... but usually, they're accompanied by one of those
    reputation_red.gif
    pips.

I can't make everyone get along, but it sure makes our jobs as mods easier when people do.

Blessings,
    Bill

smoking357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2008
    Mindin' My Own Business
    Steveh has addressed here what I've thought, reading which of your posts I have: Arrogance, abrasiveness, and belittling condescension don't win people to your way of thinking; quite the reverse. You don't seem to care about such things as "friends" here, so it may not matter to you, but to me, it comes across as a lesson in how to lose friends and alienate people.

These people can't poke me with a stick then complain when I smack them over the head with it.

I give what I get.

Top Bottom