• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    My teenage sons were off school today since they haven't used any snow days this year. I took them to the range. The range we go to has 5 different bays four of which have metal targets. Two of those have reactive metal plates. We were lucky enough to have the range to ourselves most of the time we were there until an older gentleman pulled up and decided to use the shooting bay we were using.

I was a little surprised when he pulled into the bay we were in because all of the other bays were open at the time. I had the boys put all of the guns down and wait for him to put his ears on and get set up. The guy turns to me and asks if there is a problem. I said no, we are just giving you time to get set up. He replied that we could all shoot. I just nodded.

He put his ears on and proceeded to start shooting. After a bit I told the boys to start packing up so we could move to one of the other open bays. About the time we were loaded up he started slamming his gear around and just left.

It isn't a big deal, but I never shoot in a bay where someone or a group is already shooting if there is another open bay. If is was just me it would be one thing, but with my boys there that is enough to keep track of for safety purposes.

Is my thinking off or is this a normal expectation?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My teenage sons were off school today since they haven't used any snow days this year. I took them to the range. The range we go to has 5 different bays four of which have metal targets. Two of those have reactive metal plates. We were lucky enough to have the range to ourselves most of the time we were there until an older gentleman pulled up and decided to use the shooting bay we were using.

I was a little surprised when he pulled into the bay we were in because all of the other bays were open at the time. I had the boys put all of the guns down and wait for him to put his ears on and get set up. The guy turns to me and asks if there is a problem. I said no, we are just giving you time to get set up. He replied that we could all shoot. I just nodded.

He put his ears on and proceeded to start shooting. After a bit I told the boys to start packing up so we could move to one of the other open bays. About the time we were loaded up he started slamming his gear around and just left.

It isn't a big deal, but I never shoot in a bay where someone or a group is already shooting if there is another open bay. If is was just me it would be one thing, but with my boys there that is enough to keep track of for safety purposes.

We always try to give as much space as possible and respect others already set up.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Maybe he liked the particular targets you were shooting at, or maybe he was lonely and wanted some fellow gun owners to talk to.

We had a similar instance years ago down at Crosely on the 200yd line. We were practicing for an M1 garand match, and an older guy came down and stood at the shooting table while we were down range checking targets.

Freaked us out a bit, but when we got back he was really friendly. He was just interested in what we were shooting and loved the Garand. So we ended up talking to him for a while and had a great conversation! :yesway:

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville

Red Brush correct? Were you in the main pistol rang, if so alot of people just use that one defacto.

TLHelmer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Evansville area
    We were in that bay, but the next bay over has the same reactive targets he was shooting at in the bay we were in.

He certainly wasn't friendly or talkative.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    That does some weird. I wonder if something was going on with him that made him upset. Not something you did, but something else. Still seems like he could have been more courteous.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana

If there are open bays, it would seem to make sense for a shooter to go to one of those and have it to himself instead of entering a bay that other shooters are using. Just my :twocents:.

inlineman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Maybe you should have replied with the truth when asked if there was a problem,probably would be less speculation now.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    It seems odd to me......... But I have very little range experience. Do most of my shooting on private lands.........

But I do think a shooting range would be a bad place for pervs to troll. And yes, I do know you guys were making an attempt at humor. :cool:

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Laundry list of reasons why he'd want that bay. Perhaps it was his late wife's favorite spot. Either way it sounds like you guys respected him. That's how it starts. The important thing is that were all alive to set and talk about it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Like mentioned above, I normally shoot on private lands so when/if I do go to a range, I'd probably make some etiquette mistakes. As a general rule, where ever I go, I try to be polite and respectful...To your point, I would normally try to separate myself from an already established group upon arrival--assuming all the facilities were equivalent, safe, practical, etc.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Seems like poor range etiquette to me when someone squeezes into a lane you are shooting in, I always wait for a lane to open up if full but would make me question what was up if someone set up where I was.Seems he would at least ask if he could join you or have a valid reason to .

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    Reasons he might have been upset when he was getting ready to shoot:

He realized he left his ammo at home
    His wife texted him she found out where he was and he was in trouble
    Realized he brought the wrong ammo with him
    Remembered he was supposed to be going to the store for his wife and got side tracked
    Remembered he was supposed to be picking up the wife from the hair salon and now was in deep crap
    Was just lonely and then you shunned him like a leper and hurt his feelings

You should have asked if everything was ok.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    If there are open bays, it would seem to make sense for a shooter to go to one of those and have it to himself instead of entering a bay that other shooters are using. Just my :twocents:.

Could be he just wanted to be around other folks. Lonely old men often have a hard time talking to folks. Next time, trying talking to him, asking about his weapons, might make a new friend.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yes, his behavior seems a bit off to me. I would have gone to another open bay, and avoided another group, especially if there are kids involved, etc. The more people you have to keep track of, especially if it is someone you don't know, in addition to kids, becomes a possible distraction. I'd say general range etiquette would be to utilize a separate bay/area when others are already established in an area.

Top Bottom