FL Deputy Threatens to Shoot Concealed Carry Licensee and Arrests Him for Lawful

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ectoman86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Just cause I'm me...anyone know the date this happened?
    Way back when I picked up my LTCH, spent some time looking for the proper way to handle getting pulled over while carrying. Seemed the universal response was to just hand the permit over when you hand over your drivers license, but refrain from stating you were carrying until asked by the LEO.

Bromiun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Goshen
    Just cause I'm me...anyone know the date this happened?
    Way back when I picked up my LTCH, spent some time looking for the proper way to handle getting pulled over while carrying. Seemed the universal response was to just hand the permit over when you hand over your drivers license, but refrain from stating you were carrying until asked by the LEO.
    In Indiana it's best to just keep your permit handy but don't let them see it. Them knowing anything about even a possible firearm can only make things worse.

In MI you have to inform, same with OH so if you travel over the boarder some it may be better to show, but I don't in IN

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    What is accidental exposure?

In some states/localities if you are issued a concealed carry permit it means exactly that. Any exposure or sometimes even printing is enough for them to arrest you for brandishing.

Assuming this was a standard pull over the one really stupid thing this guy did was get out of his vehicle. If you're pulled over, still still, shut your engine off, if it's night turn your cabin light on (as a courtesy) and put your hands where they're visible. If the officer wants you out of your vehicle he'll tell you so. Showing courtesy to someone who has no idea what they're about to walk up on isn't a violation of your rights.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That cop is being more than a little jumpy. He was not being threatened in any way. Yes, the motorist should have stayed in the car but arresting him for showing after threatening to "shoot (him) in the ****ing back" goes way beyond what is acceptable conduct for any LEO. I generally support LEO but this guy deserves to lose his job.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I don't know what everyone is excited about. The officer wasn't seen to filed strip the handgun and take all of the bullets out of the magazine...

Ripper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    Earth
    So tell us WHY you were ONLY an officer for 10 years???:dunno:

Lack of pay and respect for the service would be #1 in my book. Not an easy job and it probably (in today's world) feels like nothing you do makes a difference. If you are a Leo to truly make a difference vs. it's just a job... different driving forces. JMO of course!

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    In some states/localities if you are issued a concealed carry permit it means exactly that. Any exposure or sometimes even printing is enough for them to arrest you for brandishing.

That's actually why I'm a big OC law advocate even though I will never OC myself.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Lack of pay and respect for the service would be #1 in my book. Not an easy job and it probably (in today's world) feels like nothing you do makes a difference. If you are a Leo to truly make a difference vs. it's just a job then there are different driving forces. IMO of course!

It was probably like the Army, he was one of the good ones and thus was never going to get promoted. :):

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    You would think the LEO would simply:

1. upon seeing the pistol; ask guy to produce a permit.

2. suggest to the guy that he needs to rethink his clothing choices as to better conceal and not cause a panic.

IMO the officer panicked and then tried to cover by doing the power trip.

Last edited:

wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That cop is being more than a little jumpy. He was not being threatened in any way. Yes, the motorist should have stayed in the car but arresting him for showing after threatening to "shoot (him) in the ****ing back" goes way beyond what is acceptable conduct for any LEO. I generally support LEO but this guy deserves to lose his job.

The swearing was definitely uncalled for. Makes you think he just joined the force just so he can yell at people and be a jerk. He's not in an action hero movie!

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Lack of pay and respect for the service would be #1 in my book. Not an easy job and it probably (in today's world) feels like nothing you do makes a difference. If you are a Leo to truly make a difference vs. it's just a job... different driving forces. JMO of course!

Are you answering for him because you know this is why or just speculating?

Top Bottom