• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    This is an old mossberg 42a from early world war 2 era. I believe it was made to be sent to the british as a 22lr trainer for the enfields. The gun was put into storage w/out proper oiling and here is what it takes to get it back to 100 percent condition.

IMG_0937.jpg

What it looked like once out of the wood

IMG_0938.jpg

RUST

IMG_0939.jpg

Nasty old paint on the rear sight

IMG_0941.jpg

rust, and you can see in the background how rusty some of the screws were once they came out.

IMG_0942.jpg

RUST

IMG_0943.jpg

DUST

IMG_0944.jpg

I took this picture to show general grime, and to take as a before to show what a thorough cleaning will do, including the threads of every screw/bolt that came out.

IMG_0945.jpg

RUST

IMG_0946.jpg

ok, now that its all apart, lets do a very complete cleaning, scrubbing, degreasing, and degriming. I have my parts washer rigged up to a foot pedal so i can have on demand solvent w/out it constantly running splashing me w/ the stuff. It also has bubblegum scent added to it to keep the shop from stinkin up.

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

The main stuff i used to get the rust off. 0000 steel wool and CLP

IMG_0947.jpg

After a bit of scrubbin

IMG_0950.jpg

These screws had to be cleaned before they would even come out.

IMG_0951.jpg

Look at the differance of the screw on the right compared to the left, thats why my screw driver wouldnt fit. Thats after i cleaned the junk out of the screw on the right.

IMG_0952.jpg

Got it apart.

IMG_0953.jpg

and some more dissasembly, look at the crud under this sling swivel.

IMG_0954.jpg

Some rust thats not just surface rust will not come up with just steel wool this is an example.

IMG_0955.jpg

I have a 100 year old screwdriver i bought off a fellow ingo member that since the ends are so dull, it works perfect for sraping thick rust. be careful though you need a feel for it. to much and you gough the metal under neith. not enough and you remove nothing. dont slip and scratch the bluing either.

IMG_0961.jpg

Here is the proggression of the rust from scraping to steel wool.

IMG_0956.jpg

IMG_0957.jpg

IMG_0958.jpg

This is when you know its time to get a fresh piece of steel wool.

IMG_0959.jpg

More rust that was scrape worthy, before and after.

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0978.jpg

Cleanin up the bolt.

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

Proggression of cleaning up the barrel.

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

Cleaning the crappy old paint off the rear sight to return it to original condition w/out messing up the patina.

IMG_0969.jpg

What the once clear solvent looked like after some scrubbin.

IMG_0970.jpg

After pictures of the trigger group once it was cleaned and reassembled, and the after picture of the forend screw once it was cleaned up.

IMG_0971.jpg

IMG_0972.jpg

I put some clear shoe polish on the unsealed wood inside the stocks inletting. this helps prevent it from absorbing moisture then releasing it back onto the metal causing more rust in the future.

IMG_0973.jpg

Then EVERY square inch of metal was very generaously coated w/ rig grease and allowed to sit for around an hour.

IMG_0974.jpg

After pictures of the grease wiped off, and the rear sight after the paint was removed and the sight relubed.

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0976.jpg

Hopefully this give you guys an insight into what it takes to clean up that old gun you inherit. Time, patience, the proper tools, and a bit of experience really helped turn this bucket of rust into a a rather fine firearm. It checked out perfectly w/ the headspace guages and while it was difficult to pick rounds up out of the mag, fired them w/out a hitch leaving a really nice looking firing pin indentation.

After all this, i hope i preserved this gun enough to make it last until at least the next generation gets it.

Last edited:

jmdavis984

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Greenfield
    The gun looks GREAT. Nick did a great job on this one. The care and patience it must have taken to get all that rust off was WAY more than what I would have done for it.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Very nice write up.I enjoyed it.Hopefully posts like this will give us our gunsmithing subforum that we need.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Very nice write up.I enjoyed it.Hopefully posts like this will give us our gunsmithing subforum that we need.

Thats the goal. It was a MAJOR PITA to take these pictures w/ oily hands just to get a subforum where i can browse and learn. But i am doing my part, so lets ALL make some gunsmithings threads.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I'm enjoying your posts on gunsmithing. I wanted to be a tool and diemaker but all the shops left here around the time I graduated.
    But that hasn't stopped me from rounding out the shop for farm maintenance and the capability to do smithing work which I dabble at.

nicajack

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 21, 2011
    Miami County
    I have done this to many guns over the years. It is a hobby that I thoroughly enjoy. Always challenge myself to make them look better than I thought they could.
    I never scrape any exposed surface of a firearm with a steel object, as you do with the screwdriver. I take an old .30-30 or .30-06 case and flatten the case mouth closed with a hammer, then use it as a scraper. The brass is much easier on bluing and will not mark the steel. Solvent removes the brassy colored residue on the gun metal.....Brass brushes, also. A copper or brass kitchen pot scrubber is also a good item to remove rust and will not scratch the finish, either.
    Refinishing stocks is another project in which I take pride in my work....John

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Nice job! What did you use to reblue the sight? I've got the barrel of the Mauser i'm working on down to bare metal and am not sure how i'm going to refinish it yet, i've tried a couple cold blues but haven't found anything that holds up worth a darn yet.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have done this to many guns over the years. It is a hobby that I thoroughly enjoy. Always challenge myself to make them look better than I thought they could.
    I never scrape any exposed surface of a firearm with a steel object, as you do with the screwdriver. I take an old .30-30 or .30-06 case and flatten the case mouth closed with a hammer, then use it as a scraper. The brass is much easier on bluing and will not mark the steel. Solvent removes the brassy colored residue on the gun metal.....Brass brushes, also. A copper or brass kitchen pot scrubber is also a good item to remove rust and will not scratch the finish, either.
    Refinishing stocks is another project in which I take pride in my work....John

If time were not of a concern that is great advice, and also good advice for the average person. I have always used a rounded steel screwdriver tip, and the ability to use a 100 year old screw driver at that is kinda cool. MANY MANY MANY hours doing this on probably 50 plus firearms i have never had a woops, and have always used steel. Brass, would be the safer choice though.

Nice job! What did you use to reblue the sight? I've got the barrel of the Mauser i'm working on down to bare metal and am not sure how i'm going to refinish it yet, i've tried a couple cold blues but haven't found anything that holds up worth a darn yet.

I did not reblue the sight. I did not reblue ANYTHING as that would have taken away from the value of the gun. All the blueing you see is original it just wasnt able to be seen before because of all the rust.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I needd to check my prescription, it says relubed, I read it as reblued.

LionWeight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 17, 2011
    Merrillville
    Looks pretty good. If you don't mind my asking can you pm me what you paid for it? I want to try to get a couple old guns and see what I can accomplish with them.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Looks like it turned out great! A few months ago, I found an old Winchester model 67 in my attic, and it was all rusted. I had a lot of fun getting it cleaned up, and I wish I would have taken photos of it before and during the process. This weekend I'll snap a few shots and post them...

EDIT: Photos are up, and you can see them here.

Last edited:

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    It didn't seem to remove any of the blueing, just the surface corrosion. I tried it on some less important parts first. I had read that it did on other forums if you leave it in too long but I didn't see it happen. I used a battery charger and left it in for 3 or 4 hours. I had my doubts but I was pretty impressed with how it turned out.

I did drop a rusty horseshoe in and it didn't touch it but it may have had too much corrosion on it. It was fun to mess with.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    It didn't seem to remove any of the blueing, just the surface corrosion. I tried it on some less important parts first. I had read that it did on other forums if you leave it in too long but I didn't see it happen. I used a battery charger and left it in for 3 or 4 hours. I had my doubts but I was pretty impressed with how it turned out.

I did drop a rusty horseshoe in and it didn't touch it but it may have had too much corrosion on it. It was fun to mess with.

on a gun w/ no intrinsic value i think this would be an excellant idea. however this particular guns value goes up the better the original finish is. i dont think i could feel comforitable using that method on something like this. and old savage .22 or a nagant or something sure, but i definatly wouldnt want this job to be the one to try it out on.

It might be something worth considering if it DOES remove blueing. polishing a gun out for reblueing is a PITA and the more blueing that can be removed w/out using paper the better

either way, thanks for posting that, might be a good skill to master.:yesway:

Top Bottom