• ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    From the Glock FAQ...

What are the different frame styles or 'generations'?
    The Glock frame has evolved through 3 styles known as generations. There are quite a few sub-generations, limited runs and experimental frames but these are the major breakdowns:

1st generation smooth grip no finger grooves no rails
    2nd generation textured grip no finger grooves no rails
    3rd generation textured grip finger grooves accessory rails* *accessory rails are not available on the subcompact Glocks

Here's an EXCELLENT picture contributed by Butch Barton that shows all three frames together:

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    2nd Gen. has no finger grooves, no thumb rest (if you can call that little dent a rest :) ) and no accessory rail on the dust cover.

I actually like the 2nd gen best. Although I've not seen in person a 4th gen yet.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Generation 2.6

I remembered a comment in an older Glock thread and had to search for it.

I've heard there are 2.6 with finger groves and just a hint of rail.

:lmfao:Quoted for being being a memorable LOL. Thanks indyjoe!

Check out that whole thread for more Glock generations info.:yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What about the 1st Generation XDs?? :dunno:

1991064.jpg

:D:D:D

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So I take it Generation 1 glocks aren't all that great? Like say a G19?

1st Gen Glocks (limited to G17s and a very few - as in less than two dozen - G19s) are primarily collector's items now. A 1st Gen G17 isn't functionally any different than later versions, and could be retrofitted with the 6-part upgrade kit (circa 1992) to bring it up to current specs.

The 1st Gen G19s were actually made from cut-down G17s, and so are somewhat different, dimensionally (grip angle, locking block, barrel) from the later generations.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    1st Gen Glocks (limited to G17s and a very few - as in less than two dozen - G19s) are primarily collector's items now. A 1st Gen G17 isn't functionally any different than later versions, and could be retrofitted with the 6-part upgrade kit (circa 1992) to bring it up to current specs.

The 1st Gen G19s were actually made from cut-down G17s, and so are somewhat different, dimensionally (grip angle, locking block, barrel) from the later generations.

SO would a 1st Gen G19 be a good shooter if I got one? Would it be a reliable carry piece?

Also, would it be good to get the grip stipled if I use it as a carry piece?

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    SO would a 1st Gen G19 be a good shooter if I got one? Would it be a reliable carry piece?

Also, would it be good to get the grip stipled if I use it as a carry piece?

Before I did anything with it, I would check its value. You might be able to get a newer G19 and a little cash back, then not have to do anything.

I'm with Lars in preferring the 2nd Gen., although you can shave off the finger groves if they don't work for you. Mine is a police trade in 22 with thousands of rounds through it. I wish police carried 23s instead, because they are fine weapons at $350, even well used.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ok well scratch that. I'm actually looking at a Gen2 not a Gen1. Whew. I think I might just get it instead of waiting for an AK deal. :D Yes, I'm joining the darkside. May God have mercy on my soul! :):

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ok well scratch that. I'm actually looking at a Gen2 not a Gen1. Whew. I think I might just get it instead of waiting for an AK deal. :D Yes, I'm joining the darkside. May God have mercy on my soul! :):

Too late... your already screwed!!!

I wouldn't have a problem owning a 1st gen G17 or G19 as I'm not a fan of the finger grooves, but the locking blocks have been upgraded plus you have a place for a tac light which circumvents the duct tape method of light attachment.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    HAHA I overcame the darkside powers! Bwhahaha No glocky for me! :D

It's ok though. maybe next time. :p

Top Bottom