A Day at the Range with colt45er, esrice, and lovemywoods (pics/vid)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    With Basic Training fast approaching, colt45er desperately wanted to get out and shoot his new AR. Always willing to help out an INGOer in need (;)) lovemywoods and I invited him down to Brown County to help get it sighted in.

Our goals for this range session were pretty straight forward:

• Zero colt45er's BUIS on his new AR
    • Zero colt45er's new Aimpoint C3 in LaRue LT-129 cantilever mount
    • Function test colt45er's new .22 conversion bolt from Spike's Tactical
    • Fam-fire colt45's WASR AK and Mosin
    • Test lovemywoods' latest batch of .223 handloads

We got to lovemywoods' property around 9am. After chatting about guns and loading up our gear, we got down to the range for some initial zeroing.

Here was our setup:

1205409c.jpg

3b45e24e.jpg

As the AR bug has bitten colt45er HARD, his new rifle arrived at the range in LaRue's Discreet Case, made specially for them by Tactical Tailor.

95de7e46.jpg

8aa1ca38.jpg

We started zeroing the BUIS by shooting off a bench at 50 yards.

40d21949.jpg

However, we weren't even hitting paper. So we decided to move up to get a starting point.

819c0693.jpg

4a82ff38.jpg

Once we were on paper, we resumed zeroing at 50 yards.

33b25ea5.jpg

097760cc.jpg

8dac3e4c.jpg

Ok, I think we got it. :yesway: (colt45er has a solid grasp of shooting fundamentals btw)

dcd548aa.jpg

Next we moved on to zeroing the Aimpoint. We made gross adjustments by moving the dot so that it sat on top of the front sight post. Finer adjustments were then made by checking groups.

ad988656.jpg

f2927ae8.jpg

a61b192f.jpg

Once we got the dot hitting to POA, it was time for colt45er to reach out and see what he could do. He decided to try his hand at shooting steel targets 211 yards away. Targets used were 3 IPSC targets in various sizes from Bobcat Steel.

He had no problem making consistent hits on the 66% IPSC target-- prone, kneeling, and standing. :yesway:

52b1c2d2.jpg

be558ecd.jpg

3da04a7b.jpg

9c47b413.jpg

5afb5249.jpg

To give you a better idea of the range, here is a series of pictures that get progressively closer to the target.

f44fce19.jpg

85e08826.jpg

d7ee2645.jpg

8425fbfc.jpg

1c7679e5.jpg

Next we moved down to the pistol range for some closer-in work. colt45er made quick work knocking down bowling pins.

787350ca.jpg

f46558b1.jpg

He also enjoyed shooting a sheet of THICK (2"??) Plexiglas that lovemywoods had used for some ballistics testing. He even tagged a hanging softball through the Plexiglas.

6a4178be.jpg

bb9b7190.jpg

cb83894c.jpg

Next came time for some function testing of colt45er's Spike's Tactical .22 conversion bolt.

bcbdfeae.jpg

And since we'd be shooting .22s, why not throw on a Thompson Machine Zephyr XL? :D

0103142e.jpg

bd720583.jpg

Think you can make hits at 211 yards with subsonic .22s? This guy can--

f5c8932a.jpg

0c8fb7cc.jpg

2e554406.jpg

Of course, lovemywoods and I also got in on the action. :rockwoot:

c236e566.jpg

de97f0f6.jpg

7be06d67.jpg

Then colt45er was kind enough to assist lovemywoods with some testing of his latest .223 handloads.

e4629b86.jpg

faf47657.jpg

Completely thrilled with the performance of his new AR, colt45er then brought out a couple other long guns (AK and Mosin), giving lovemywoods and I some instruction on their operation.

555e2946.jpg

508bd98c.jpg

2a0719a9.jpg

e5036bcf.jpg

f3a6f308.jpg

8d724a08.jpg

Paying homage to wars gone by, colt45er decided to fully exploit the features of the Mosin, giving the sheet of Plexiglas some hell.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shWDBQYLz4s[/ame]

a2b623d2.jpg

dc37f7d8.jpg

So what did we learn?

• Carhart coveralls make it possible to shoot in shirt-and-tie work attire. :D
    • Aimpoints are made with magic and fairy dust.
    • The safety on a Mosin is quite unique. :n00b:
    • Laser rangefinders are freaking awesome.
    • Subsonics in a TM Zephyr XL are stupid quiet.
    • colt45er is almost as OCD as lovemywoods.
    • Shooting stuff is fun!

I want to give a big thanks to lovemywoods for not only proving the venue, but also for joining us in the fun.

I also want to thank colt45er for the service that he will be providing our Country in the very near future. Good luck and stay safe! :patriot:

Last edited:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Looks like a lot of fun. If those pictures are recent it looks like the drainage project is working well. Also looks like the grass filled in as well. Sorry I'm a landscaper, the guns look great also.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If those pictures are recent it looks like the drainage project is working well.

They are recent-- taken this morning. :D

The drainage project was indeed effective. The range is actually probably at its worst right now in terms of time-of-year. Most of the grass held up well through the winter. It should be looking great in a few months. :yesway:

Do plans exist for that or will I just have to eyeball????

They exist!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...3-built_my_own_shooting_bench_-_pictures.html

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    The range was in great shape despite the rain, etc we have had.

When I get some time later tonight I will add to his AAR.....not that he left much for me to do:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Colt, good luck in bct.

We can work on running a bolt weapon when you get back (geez, you guys didn't teach him).:D

Let us know if you need anything--like some socks for your ear protection on a cold day.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Great pics and report! Also, that was some nice shooting.

Colt45er is a gifted shooter. He is very smooth on the trigger and waits a long time before releasing the trigger to the reset point. He credits Appleseed with improving his rifle skills. (Now he needs to get himself a good GI sling!:D)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Evan, I almost called you today because I was in your neck of the woods. Now I'm sorry I didn't :xmad:

If it makes you feel any better, we were done by 1pm, so you probably would've been too late anyway. (any better? :D)

Top Bottom