• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    I'm getting ready to take my first airline trip with my Glock. I am traveling to Florida on Southwest. Can anyone share their experiences with TSA, Southwest, and Indianapolis Int. I've read through the guidelines on the TSA and Southwest's website but I curious on what I should expect. I have also a "TSA approved" case thanks to Premier Arms in Brownsburg for that

Thanks in advance

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I've never had any problems. Make sure it's unloaded, locked in a hard case and declare it at check in.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Then cross your fingers that the TSA, a baggage handler, etc. doesn't steal it!(Lost an S&W 442 some years back, at least they left the case!)

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Check it no big deal. Also you may want to weigh your ammo if your taking more than a few rounds. I rember the last time I flew my baggage made it to my destination before I did. The next day my bags were literally under the guys desk at the destination airport.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Southwest is great!
    make sure you use a hard secure case, no Ammo in the gun. Loaded mags are fine!
    make sure your gun case is easy to get to so you can show it to the ticket agent at check in. By the way, you can not check in curbside.
    another option is to use a hard sided suitcase as your secure case.
    Use a padlock(s) that only you have the combination or key, not the generic tiny padlocks that anyone can open. Do not give anyone the key or combination. The case (if they want to inspect it) must be opened in your presence.
    get to ticketing a little earlier than you normally would just in case they want to inspect your gun case. Not likely, but possible. And if they do, it might take you an extra 15-20 minutes.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    gun_catch_at_jfk_sept._6_2016.jpg

JAMAICA, N.Y. – Transportation Security Administration officers at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK) prevented a man from bringing a loaded handgun onto a flight this morning, Sept. 6, just five days before the 15th anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
    The man was stopped at the checkpoint with the 9 mm gun loaded with 15 bullets and later was arrested by Port Authority Police on state weapons charges after the TSA officer who was staffing the checkpoint X-ray machine detected the handgun as it passed along the conveyor belt inside the man’s carry-on bag.
    As a reminder, weapons—including firearms, firearm parts, ammunition and antique or realistic replica firearms—are not permitted in carry-on bags. Travelers who bring firearms to the checkpoint are subject to possible criminal charges from law enforcement and civil penalties from TSA.
    Passengers are permitted to travel with firearms in checked baggage if they have the proper permits and if the guns are properly packaged and declared. Firearms must be unloaded, packed in a hard-side case, locked, and packed separately from ammunition. Firearm possession laws vary by state and locality and travelers are advised to check those laws before bringing a gun to an airport.
    TSA’s website has details on how to properly travel with a firearm. Airlines may have additional requirements for traveling with firearms and ammunition. Travelers should also contact their airline regarding firearm and ammunition carriage policies.

Of course this never happens....................

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I travel frequently and seldom have issues with my firearm. Once I was told my ammo had to be separate from the firearm. I have since started placing my ammo in a reloaders plastic case secured with Velcro. One other time I was told I could not use a combination lock on my case. That was several years ago. I had to leave my handgun behind that trip.

aspiringsnd

Plinker
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 24, 2016
    Westfield
    I travel regularly (every 2-3 weeks) with my carry weapon (normally with Delta).

IND is great to deal with flying out. I recommend not keeping mags loaded -- While IND will let you leave with loaded mags, other airports will say ammo must be in an ammo box.

also -- buy a good lock. Don't use anything that allows TSA access.

Mike F

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Each airport is different.

At IND it's not too difficult. Declare the firearm when you go to the counter to check your bag. I usually say "We need to fill out a firearm card" The agent will fill out the card for you to sign. You place the card inside the locked case with the firearm. They attach a piece of paper to your boarding pass asking you to check in with the TSA supervisor when going through security. Go through security and stop at the glass booth with the supervisor and police officer. The supervisor will call the baggage room and ask if your bag has gone through. You may be asked to wait for 5-10 minutes. They may come up an ask for the key to your case. That's about it.

Again, the return airport will likely have a different routine. Lately, I've noticed there'll be a note in your travel record that you checked a firearm. You may be asked by the Kiosk to see an agent to check in for the return flight. Just follow what they tell you to do. I've always thought the agents were professional.

Top Bottom