Indianapolis Airport: Declaring a Firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I will be traveling with a firearm. (I work in St. Louis; having the means of personal protection may unfortunately become relevant shortly, depending on the timing of a certain grand jury decision announcement.) My current EDC is a Ruger SR9c, and rather than risk anything happening to it, I just picked up a second one to use specifically for such travel.

I have never flown with a firearm, so this will be a new experience. I would appreciate any pointers, tips, gotchas, etc.

Ruger ships the SR9c in what appears to be a suitable, hard-sided case. A quick pass with the drill press, and it has a nice, 3/16" hole in the center of the clasp, for which I've purchased a conventional (i.e. non-TSA keyed padlock. Opening either of the two side clasps, the gun can't be accessed when padlocked. So, I think I'm good on packaging.

I will be putting the locked gun case inside of a small suitcase, that I will check. I believe I understand the process to be like so:

1. Put gun in hard-sided case
    2. Padlock hard-sided case with non-TSA lock, and keep control/possession of the key at all times
    3. Put the padlocked, hard-sided case inside the luggage to be checked
    4. Arrive at the airport with spare time (I'm figuring an extra 30 minutes?)
    5. Proceed to the airline (United) check-in counter (I'll already be checked in - I assume I can check in online still?), and state that I have a firearm to declare in my checked luggage
    6. The airline will have a TSA agent inspect the checked firearm
    7. I will unlock the luggage, then unlock the gun case for inspection, while keeping the gun-case padlock key on my person (i.e. don't give the key to the TSA agent)
    8. The agent will inspect the firearm, and then add a declared-firearm tag of some sort
    9. I will re-lock the gun case, then re-lock the luggage
    10. The airline will have me sign a firearm declaration form, and then handle the checked luggage as per normal

Is there anything else? Does this appear to be correct, and have I covered all the bases?

Also: I can carry up to 11 pounds of ammunition, provided that it is in appropriate packaging, in the checked luggage?

Has anyone encountered any issues regarding flying with firearms, or doing so at Indy airport specifically?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Take a copy of the TSA regs with you, as well as United's regs.

Odds are you will have no issue, however there was a time I went there and, long story short, was told by the TSA guy, "Either give me the key or the combination, or you can have the bag back!" I had taken a shuttle bus, so did not have my car there, and also was short of time, so I allowed him to take my key and inspect my bag out of my sight. Everything was in order, and other than the great big F.U. to the rules by the agent, everything turned out OK.

I raised an enormous stink once I returned from the trip, and probably to no good, however on the few subsequent occasions I've flown with my gun since then, when I've been prepared for it, everything has been by the book and handled professionally.

Still... Be prepared with rules in hand and time to fight, in case the same mope is on duty that thought the rules didn't apply to him.

Blessings,
    Bill

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Take a copy of the TSA regs with you, as well as United's regs.

Odds are you will have no issue, however there was a time I went there and, long story short, was told by the TSA guy, "Either give me the key or the combination, or you can have the bag back!" I had taken a shuttle bus, so did not have my car there, and also was short of time, so I allowed him to take my key and inspect my bag out of my sight. Everything was in order, and other than the great big F.U. to the rules by the agent, everything turned out OK.

I raised an enormous stink once I returned from the trip, and probably to no good, however on the few subsequent occasions I've flown with my gun since then, when I've been prepared for it, everything has been by the book and handled professionally.

Still... Be prepared with rules in hand and time to fight, in case the same mope is on duty that thought the rules didn't apply to him.

Blessings,
    Bill

Great advice. I'll have the TSA page and United's page pulled up on my phone, just in case.

sigpro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 2, 2012
    Avon
    A TSA officer will not inspect it at the counter, an airline rep will. The only way TSA will see it is if the inline X-ray system pulls the bag for inspection. At that point they will look inside the case and will need your key to do so. They will page you to come to the checkpoint and ask for a supervisor.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    So does the airport still have the sign on the door saying firearms are not allowed in the terminal? The airport authority has banned fireams in their buildings. I know it carries no force of law but it is kind of ironic. If you want to have a silly conversation ask one of the airport cops if you are allowed to carry (with a LTCH) in the terminal and then ask them about the sign.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    A TSA officer will not inspect it at the counter, an airline rep will. The only way TSA will see it is if the inline X-ray system pulls the bag for inspection. At that point they will look inside the case and will need your key to do so. They will page you to come to the checkpoint and ask for a supervisor.
    This, it is only airline personnel that will look to ensure it is unloaded. They will give you an orange tag/sticker to put on it stating Firearm(s) Unloaded
    So does the airport still have the sign on the door saying firearms are not allowed in the terminal? The airport authority has banned fireams in their buildings. I know it carries no force of law but it is kind of ironic. If you want to have a silly conversation ask one of the airport cops if you are allowed to carry (with a LTCH) in the terminal and then ask them about the sign.
    still there, it's actually illegal since it's state owned. I work at the airport and while most of my travel is on privately owned aircraft, I do fly the airlines frequently and travel with a firearm quite frequently. Returning to indy I usually hit the stall in the family bathroom and load up before calling for my ride.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ...Also: I can carry up to 11 pounds of ammunition, provided that it is in appropriate packaging, in the checked luggage? ...

This is the first I've heard of a 10+1 round limit. Is this a new stipulation across the board, a quirk of your airline, or what?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes the sticker is there at the top of the door, most people don't look up. Signage is there telling you not to take one through the security checkpoint. Declaring you have an UNLOADED firearm to your air carrier, is step one.
    Ammunition must be in a box or magazine that is in a box or pouch. No loose ammo. The authorities only get involved when the rules are not followed.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Technically ammo is a hazmat you have to watch amounts as to not exceed what can fall under "limited quantities" and whatnot.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Gee, I thought all you had to do was walk into the middle of the ticket / booking area, and in a loud, clear, and succinct voice, state, "I. Declare. FIREARM!" :lmfao:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    The sign I am talking about is on every entrance door to the terminal building, not the entrance to the gate concourse. If you cannot bring a firearm into the terminal how are you supposed to declare it and check it in? I understand that this has nothing to do with the law - it is an Airport Authority rule. It is on their website also (or it used to be).

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    The sign I am talking about is on every entrance door to the terminal building, not the entrance to the gate concourse. If you cannot bring a firearm into the terminal how are you supposed to declare it and check it in? I understand that this has nothing to do with the law - it is an Airport Authority rule. It is on their website also (or it used to be).

Guns are only disallowed in the secure areas of the airport. You're good to go in every other area.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    My experience was very good with folks at Indy airport when i travelled with a long gun. Took about 2 minutes longer to check in. I got a lot of strange looks riding the bus from the parking lot though.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I travel a lot and have never had an issue when checking my handgun. I keep my handgun and ammo in a locked Pelican case. The ammo is in a reloaders case with a Velcro strap around it in the same case with the handgun.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just last month I checked my Glock in New Orleans on Sept. 11th boarding with a one way ticket. Even had the manager move me to an earlier flight. No problem at all. I have also checked handguns from Indy, Orlando, Sioux Falls. Again not a big deal. I like it because in every instance I watched my suitcase exit the plane and they did not lose my luggage.

Top Bottom