• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Fun, quick 105mm shell crate project

I picked up some 105mm crates at the local rural King this weekend. I didn't really have a plan for them, but came up with at least one. One hour and $30 all told for a cool storage bench.
    IMG_20140303_121554139_zps15jwvgwl.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    IMG_20140303_121633170_zpsxxemzbte.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Edit: DOH! Darn fat fingers!.......PROJECT

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I had thought about doing this, but I've got nowhere to put it. Definitely an attractive price on those crates though.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Looks great hammer! Which Rural King did you get yours from? I could see one or two of these coming in handy on our deck (covered).

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    That is awesome idea for workshop - loading room storage bench. Personally I would like this in family room, but will not pass WAF wife acceptance factor

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    That's very cool! My old doctor did a very neat project himself, and I wish I had a picture of it. A couple years ago he bought a crate of Mosin Nagants at the 1500. He took the top off of the crate and put glass in place of it. Added legs to it, and some ammo and standard mil-surp pouches and Mosin accessories inside. The perfect man cave coffee table!

RangerRider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Fountain County
    I saw these the other day in Lafeyette but was'nt sure what to do with them. I guess I will be makeing a trip back there this week, Thanks for the idea Hammer

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I'm planning on hanging at least one over my bench in the garage for storage, and may make a display case out of a couple others. BTW, as of last Friday RK in Martinsville still had a few (maybe a dozen or so).

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Awesome!

I bought one also. I have a different plan. Mine will be turned into a wall mount for my 1938 mosin carbine with glass front. Inside it will have rifle mounted, ammo pouches with ammo, Russian winter cap, and a bottle of Kalishnikov vodka.

i was going to do an AK rifle but they are too expensive for a decorative piece.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Picked up my own crate at the Martinsville Rural King a couple of weeks ago. It was pretty slim pickings by the time I got there, and the one that was in the best condition was painted an olive drab color. I decided to paint it more of a desert tan, but I wanted to preserve the stenciling, so I masked it off and then went back with a little artist brush and painted around the lettering. Tedious, but I like how it turned out. Thanks to the OP for a great idea!

IMG_2460_zpsb707bd23.jpg

IMG_2461_zps57bf0191.jpg

IMG_2462_zps08405eab.jpg

IMG_2463_zps6574b0da.jpg

IMG_2466_zpsf194cb10.jpg

IMG_2465_zpsffa12707.jpg

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    My grandfather worked at Crane NSW after he got out of WW I I. He built a 20'x30' pole barn style garage and he bought several pickup loads of ammo crates like these for little or nothing, from Crane. He cut the lids down to half, length ways and nailed them on. He then stood the crates on their sides and lined three sides of the garage with them. They would be filled with quarts of oil, nuts and bolts, gloves, chains, etcetera.
    Great project Hammer. Turned out really nice!

Last edited:

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Very Cool! Btw, those are tank gun training rounds. APFSDS-T is "armor piercing, fin stabilized, discarding sabot".
    the "T" is for training. Pronounced "SAY-Bow", as in "Gunner...sabot...tank"

Hope I'm not Mr Obvious here..... Rural King made a nice catch!

Top Bottom