• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    I purchased a Liberty Fatboy (880 lbs) on Thanksgiving morning at Gander Mountain. Picked it up and had it in my truck until yesterday. Rented a 1,200 lb dolly and gathered up some help to move it and didn't have any problems getting it out of the truck or in the house.

Problem is that I have a landing at the top of the stairs with a wall on two sides. You go in the opening and there is a wall in front of you and one to the left with the stairs on the right. The landing is about 4' square. Anyhow, after the five of us messed around for 2 hours, we just couldn't get to the point where we felt safe dropping it over that first step. Getting it tipped back to a 45 degree angle put the wheels near the edge and the top of the dolly up against the wall. We had three guys on the downhill side and two at the top and we all agreed that we didn't feel safe doing it. I even cut a hole at the base of the wall to the left (which my wife really loved) and bolted a hook through the plate and sub-floor and connected a safety chain from it to the dolly.

I even contemplated cutting a very large hole in that wall so that safe could be laid down and then "eased" down the stairs. Heck, I would have even bolted a winch to the floor if possible but with the holidays fast approaching the misses wouldn't have appreciated something like that.

So now I'm looking for a company to move the safe. I've called James Weimer with Valut Mover twice (this is the company Gander Mountain recommends) and can't get a return call (once yesterday and once about a week and a half ago before I purchased the safe). I know he is probably very busy but I need someones help that is experienced in handling safes.

So fellow INGO members, can you help a brother out with a moving company idea?

Craig

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Load

That's a dandy safe. It sounds like you are trying to put it in a basement. I'll proceeed with that assumption. Gunsafes, like any flat- bottom item, distribute the weight evenly and that Fatboy has a lot of square inches to spread the load. If you think getting it down the stairs is tough, wait until you try to haul it back up. Hiring it done is your best bet and make sure whoever does it is bonded and insured. I'd leave it upstairs, put it against an exterior wall, and call it furniture. :D

If you must proceed, look into removing the safe door. It probably weighs at least 200 lbs by itself.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    James Weimer moved mine and did a great job. Got mine at Indiana Gun club. He's probably swamped after the Black Friday sales.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

0750turbo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    Pittsboro
    He blasted them in a post here and I am sure they read it.
    I had a thread a couple of weeks ago asking about Johnson Safes which you must have read. I went to their shop and checked them out and gave a write up of what I saw as the pluses and minuses of the two (Liberty Fatboy and Johnson). If you consider that I "blasted :ar15: them" then so be it.

As I said in that write up, I knew it would probably ruffle some feathers as I knew that a lot of people really like them.

Also, I did get a call back from Jamie. I sent him some pictures of the situation and he is going to call me in the morning.

Craig

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I had a thread a couple of weeks ago asking about Johnson Safes which you must have read. I went to their shop and checked them out and gave a write up of what I saw as the pluses and minuses of the two (Liberty Fatboy and Johnson). If you consider that I "blasted :ar15: them" then so be it.

As I said in that write up, I knew it would probably ruffle some feathers as I knew that a lot of people really like them.

Also, I did get a call back from Jamie. I sent him some pictures of the situation and he is going to call me in the morning.

Craig

Glad to hear it. Says even more about him. Maybe blasted was a little strong, but you know what I meant.

troy28

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    Behind the crosshairs
    James Weimer moved mine and did a great job. Got mine at Indiana Gun club. He's probably swamped after the Black Friday sales.

He does an excellent job and would recommend paying someone else to do it. I watched him and his crew put in my buddies. I was expecting all these crazy tools for lifting heavy equipment. It was completely opposite. Besides the dolly it was all simple tools with a little geometry and physics. Completely amazing to watch.

If I understand your landing correctly :dunno: the trick is blocking up a false landing. As you go down the stairs put in blocking so 1 or 2 stairs before the landing you extend that stair strait out as if that was the landing. This will add a few extra feet to swing the turn a lot easier. Once around the turn it is almost there. I have seen this blocking done with cutting down a pallet to fit the stairs. The question now is how much do you trust your carpentry skills.

Best of luck. Sometimes it is just worth paying the premium for an insured expert to do the job.

Best of luck!

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

[FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]
    HUGE +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mr. Weimer took care of everything on my AmSec BF6030. This man was very professional and careful for my property, not just the safe.

Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1911 Mechanic[/FONT]

James moved my Fathers Fatboy earlier this year, and did it all by himself. its all about having the proper tools and knowing what your doing. You will be charged on the amount of work will be done stairs will cost ya $$$. I second that he is probably swamped with work after all the sales. But if I remember correctly he has a few workers and they go all over the state.

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    After dealing with Jeff, I'll NEVER mess with anything except a Johnson Safe. You do get more for your money, and they stand behind their product.

StreetStrip01

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Florida

Craig

Read the post.

Ehh.

I will still put my Johnson up against any of the others.

Still not sure how folded sheet metal door is stronger than plate steel, but whatev.

:)

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    He does an excellent job and would recommend paying someone else to do it. I watched him and his crew put in my buddies. I was expecting all these crazy tools for lifting heavy equipment. It was completely opposite. Besides the dolly it was all simple tools with a little geometry and physics. Completely amazing to watch.

If I understand your landing correctly :dunno: the trick is blocking up a false landing. As you go down the stairs put in blocking so 1 or 2 stairs before the landing you extend that stair strait out as if that was the landing. This will add a few extra feet to swing the turn a lot easier. Once around the turn it is almost there. I have seen this blocking done with cutting down a pallet to fit the stairs. The question now is how much do you trust your carpentry skills.

Best of luck. Sometimes it is just worth paying the premium for an insured expert to do the job.

Best of luck!

HUGE +1 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Mr. Weimer took care of everything on my AmSec BF6030. This man was very professional and careful for my property, not just the safe.

Good luck!

Regards,

Doug

Resurrecting an old thread. Apologies.

Anyone have contact info for Mr. Weimer, I'm interested in having a safe delivered. I've called Johnson and Nick of Time to get some preliminary info, but would like to contact Mr Weimer if he is still in the business.

Thank you in advance.

Update: ok, found his info: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local-gun-shops/154151-professional-safe-vault.html

Thanks all

Top Bottom