Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I wanted to title this:
    Hey, My Steel Target Has a Hole In It!
    but I thought better of it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

In the last year, I've spent more time behind rifles than pistols. I also got into reloading two years ago.

These two interests, rifle shooting and reloading my own rifle rounds led me to want to shoot farther out and with greater accuracy.

One of my highlights of the year, shooting wise, was a trip to INGO member 42769vette's farm and the opportunity to shoot at 700 yards!

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/206008-aar_long_distance_shooting_with_42769vette_and_que.html

However, I am normally limited to 200 yards at my property, so I opted to put smaller and smaller targets around the place to provide increasing difficulty. Last November I built a set of steel targets across the pond from my deck.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/general_firearms_discussion/180685-built_a_6_position_steel_target_stand.html

The smallest targets on that stand are 4". That's 2.9 MOA at 132 yards.

The targets are mounted using a 1/2" bolt hole, so getting the steel target much smaller becomes a problem.

2eyeyvl.jpg

I contacted ZbornacSVT, owner of Bobcat Steel (Bobcat Steel - INGunOwners) and asked if he would cut a 12" round target with a 2" circle cut out of the center. Being the helpful person he is, he said "sure"!

I'm not sure if this is the right terminology, but I've been calling this steel target a 'negative' target because if you don't hear a 'ding' then you've hit the hole. (Assuming you didn't miss it altogether! :D) TopShot did a version of this requiring the participants to shoot through the center of compact disks.

I received the negative target today due to the thoughtfulness of INGO member Noisy Cricket. She was in the area and dropped the target off! :rockwoot:

Here is the new target on the existing steel target stand.

k2ldat.jpg

The center hole is exactly 2" in diameter. At 132 yards, that is 1.45 MOA.

2ywssye.jpg

Well, today was a gorgeous day and I had a long list of things I didn't want to do, so I decided to try out the new target!

I shoot from my deck toward this target stand. Here's a picture showing its location. The next pic shows what it looks like from the deck.

30iuo9k.jpg

332qh5t.jpg

I shot prone using a bag and shooters mat. The rifle is a Remington 700 BDL chambered in .223 Rem. I was feeding it reloads I built for it. They are fire-formed Lake City cases filled with Benchmark powder and tipped with 55 grain Hornady V-Max bullets. The rounds are loaded long; just a few thousandths off the lands.

219owvo.jpg

I took a few sighting shots at the 12" square and the 4" circle. Then I shot 5 rounds at the negative target.

In the picture, you can see the one hit I had on steel. The other 4 went through the hole!

2b5vyc.jpg

The dark spots in the upper left portion of the target are patches of scale from the steel manufacturing. It appears that the fragments from the one hit or the hits on the target to the right scoured the slightly higher spots removing the paint.

339rk12.jpg

In this very close-up view, you may be able to make out some of the places where the other rounds went through the rubber mat material. The hole you see is one of a series of mounting holes in the target straps. I didn't hit all my other shots in such a small area. (I wish!)

6863kp.jpg

I decided to try my Savage .22 bolt gun using CCI Subsonic rounds.

30wwlug.jpg

I took many sighting shots and just wasn't getting consistent placement of the hits.

I went ahead and shot the negative target five times. Unfortunately, I heard 'ding' four times. Only one went through the hole.

300dziw.jpg

I'm very pleased with this training target. It is a real turn-around...rather than wanting to hear the ding, the ding is bad.

Being Bobcat Steel in AR500 material means it will probably outlast me!

The one drawback I can see from this design is that you have to trust your shooting buddies when they claim to have hit the center when there is no 'ding'. They could easily just shoot wide. Depending on how much you trust your friends, you can always slide a piece of cardboard in behind the target without telling them!

We don't want to let shooting become like golf...a game where the ball lies poorly and the player well! :D

Last edited:

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I still call this a liar's target, lol...

Good to see you are putting it to such quick use!

Last edited:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    eh, seems anti-climatic to me. I think I'd have gone with a flapper.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    This is the first negative review I've seen, congrats Bobcat Steel. (Never thought I'd write that sentence before.) :D

This would be fun to put in front of a reactive target so you would have to thread the needle to make it react (go splat, explode...pending the type of reactive target available.)

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    This would be fun to put in front of a reactive target so you would have to thread the needle to make it react (go splat, explode...pending the type of reactive target available.)

You are a genius! I have the H2Targets material for this. I just have to be careful not to blow up the stand! :D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    You are a genius! I have the H2Targets material for this. I just have to be careful not to blow up the stand! :D

next time you fell a tree id like to see you use these targets to make it a little more dificult:D

on a side note my range opens back up in a couple months, are you ready to brave some cold weather for another long range day? i may have found a way to make my 700 yd range a 1300 yard range. (mabye i have to wait on the crops to come out to check)

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Very cool target but I would have to go with something reactive as well. OR POSSIBLY a dual cut out and a dualing type set up. Two hole off each side of center with a hinge dead center on the back side. One side of the flap yellow one side orange. Hit the yellow in the left hole see the orange right and vice versa. I noramlly dont throw awesome ideas like this out there but if you use it and make money off of it yoh can just give me one for free...lol

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This is the first negative review I've seen, congrats Bobcat Steel. (Never thought I'd write that sentence before.) :D

Sounds fun :D

..but that gave me an idea..

Could you put a different thickness of steel behind the hole, but not touching the front target, so it makes a different sound depending on which target it hits? DING is a "hit" and DONG is a miss?

Would there be enough difference in tone to make it work?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Sounds fun :D

..but that gave me an idea..

Could you put a different thickness of steel behind the hole, but not touching the front target, so it makes a different sound depending on which target it hits? DING is a "hit" and DONG is a miss?

Would there be enough difference in tone to make it work?

Roadie, your post is evidence that great minds do think alike. :D

I was over at the target stand earlier today thinking of a simple way to put a 4" or 6" target about 4" behind the larger target. I too thought that they would have very different 'dings' and you can see the hits on the white paint of the main target as well.

Give me a couple of days and I may have something!

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If hanging it on a rubber strap doesn't produce a different enough tone, you could hard mount it to a 2x4 and that will definitely change the tone enough to make a difference. Just remember to slightly angle it down. :)

Another excellent review from the Lovemywoods camp.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Roadie, your post is evidence that great minds do think alike. :D

I was over at the target stand earlier today thinking of a simple way to put a 4" or 6" target about 4" behind the larger target. I too thought that they would have very different 'dings' and you can see the hits on the white paint of the main target as well.

Give me a couple of days and I may have something!
    :rockwoot:

Can't wait to try it out :D

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Very cool idea !!!

Wonder if a certain 308 could hit the hole ? ;)

After seeing your thread on your new rifle build, the answer is "Without a doubt it could hit the hole!"

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns/232967-i_think_she_shoots_ok.html

I shot at the target this afternoon with a friend's Savage 110 in .308. The ammo was some 168 grain Hornady Match bullets fueled by Benchmark powder.

2iuccra.jpg

This time, I put a cardboard backer behind the hole. It was attached to the thick rubber pieces that the plates are mounted to. It sat a couple of inches behind the steel and the steel was free to move about a bit.

I shot 7 times. One time I hit the edge of the target, 6 times it went through the hole. As is typical, the error was mine, not the rifle. :)

hx59ue.jpg

The cardboard backer was torn on the bottom in what looked like a splatter pattern. It baffled me a bit. The only explanation I came up with was that the one round that hit the edge of the steel tilted the steel target inward enough for the fragment spray to catch the lower edge of the carboard.

The cardboard piece showed the 6 holes with an MOA of 0.856. (The hole in the steel is 1.45 MOA.) The circle in the picture below is not related to the hole in the steel. It's part of the target program.
    2jdo0h4.jpg

Last edited:

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    Isn't it illegal to shoot across bodies of water in Indiana?

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]IC 14-22-6-10[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]Shooting into or across waters of the state[/FONT]

[/FONT]Sec. 10. A person may not shoot into or across:
    (1) the waters of the state; or
    (2) the boundary waters of the state;
    except in the lawful pursuit of wild animals.

Last edited:

need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    You DO realize, don't you, that shooting across a body of water in Indiana is illegal don't you????

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]IC 14-22-6-10[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]Shooting into or across waters of the state[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]Sec. 10. A person may not shoot into or across:

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold](1) the waters of the state; or[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold](2) the boundary waters of the state;[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]except in the lawful pursuit of wild animals.

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

I am thinking that means waters owned by the state and not private property waters. Am I correct?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I wish I had personal property like yours. I have access to property, but not for any kind of real distance and it's pretty densely overgrown this time of year.

Those little Savage 22s are a blast aren't they.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    You DO realize, don't you, that shooting across a body of water in Indiana is illegal don't you????

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]IC 14-22-6-10[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]Shooting into or across waters of the state[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]Sec. 10. A person may not shoot into or across:[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold](1) the waters of the state; or[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold](2) the boundary waters of the state;[/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT,Bold]except in the lawful pursuit of wild animals.[/FONT][/FONT]

Hogwylde,

I've had this concern raised several times. I'll assume you're trying to be helpful.

As others have chimed in, it's a pond, not the 'waters of the state'. I am blessed enough to own the land all around this little bit of nature.

So no, I don't believe that shooting across my own pond is illegal in Indiana.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Hogwylde,

I've had this concern raised several times. I'll assume you're trying to be helpful.

As others have chimed in, it's a pond, not the 'waters of the state'. I am blessed enough to own the land all around this little bit of nature.

So no, I don't believe that shooting across my own pond is illegal in Indiana.
    If things were THAT bad here...I believe I'd be altering my residence. ;)

Well, maybe not if I had property like this LOL

Top Bottom