• ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Back in January of this year, I built a large stand to hold some steel plates at the far end of our pond. I posted some pictures here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ade_target_stand_for_long_distance_steel.html

It originally had a mild steel plate and flange. I intended to eventually get some AR500 steel targets for it.

I recently was able to get several AR500 IPSC type targets from Bobcat Steel (INGO advertiser).
    http://bobcatsteel.com/

I painted the targets white and replaced the mild steel plate and flange with the new durable steel for shooting rifle rounds.

I installed a 66% IPSC in the middle, a 45% IPSC on the left side, and a 25% IPSC on the right side. The stand sits 206 yards from the dam where I am shooting.

My thinking in selecting the various IPSC targets was that the largest target approximated the ‘center body mass’ of a human being. (The 66% steel is 12” wide.) The two smaller targets simulated the size of the 66% target at distances farther than I am able to shoot on my property. The 45% target is equivalent to the 66% target at 300 yards and the 25% target is equivalent to the 66% target at 550 yards.

[Some people may be more comfortable relating to a full sized IPSC target. If you imagine a 100% IPSC target at 200 yards, then the 66% target would be equivalent to that 100% target at 300 yards, the 45% would be 450 yards, and the 25% would be 800 yards. Confused yet?]

Here’s the stand with the three targets.
    9s9sle.jpg

I have some other steel and paper targets at the north end of the pond.
    2dkves.jpg

This is what the targets look like from the dam.
    2afy93n.jpg

First hits on the new steel targets. I was shooting Remington .223 55 grain (MC L223R3) out of a Colt AR with 14.5” barrel.
    34xn6kj.jpg

Close up of 2 hits
    equk3r.jpg

I felt the surface of the targets and they are absolutely smooth. The splatter pattern can fool your eye into seeing a crater or raised center, but it isn’t really there! I had touch-up painted the targets after my shooting this evening. I went back down to the targets and took another picture to show that it is smooth under the paint.

30j02km.jpg

As you can see in the ‘after’ picture, the hardened steel held up remarkably well!

Here are the equivalent distances of the different sized IPSC targets.
    2uf7tp3.jpg

I really like the satisfying ‘ding’ you can hear when you make a hit on steel. Through the scope, I could see the black circle on the white target letting me know where I hit the targets. That’s why I like shooting steels for either pistols or rifles, near or far!

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I like your set up
    I Think I like the pond better:)
    Ive been looking for a place like that ,just as soon as my last one graduates in may.:D the search will become very serious

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    I have to agree with the OP - I've got a 12 inch round gong from Bobcat Steel and love it. It's hung up with similar chain and no problems. Granted - I am a bit jealous seeing that setup... :D

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    I just bought a few targets from Bobcat as well (100% IPSC and two 10" Rounds).

For my stand I set (2) 4x4x10' posts (cut down from 12') 12' apart. I then took another 4x4x12 and mounted it on the top of the two posts w/ lag bolts. The targets are mounted by chains and eye bolts. It's a very nice set up. I need to mount the two 10" plates, but once I do I will post a picture.

Nice set up lovemywoods! Happy shooting ;)

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    Wow, every time I see your property LMW I am even more motivated to accelerate my savings towards a similar piece of property.

+1 for creating such masterpieces and +1 for sharing them with the rest of us via pics!

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I love, and I *really* love the idea of the different %'s as replacement for actual range.

I may have to purchase some more from Bobcat Steel. Maybe he'll give me a discount for letting him set up at the SKS shoots :D

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Very nice set up.... I was pondering which % target to get, now I believe the 45% will do at 100 yds.

Thanks for the pics, especially the before and after impact/ repaint, maybe that should be used on the Bobcat site !!! :dunno:

Top Bottom