• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Inverted Edge Tactics is the first edged weapon skill set based solely on anatomy and the human response to stress, instead of military need or cultural martial arts. It has one purpose, and that is to allow the average person with minimal training to cut an attacker off of them.

The human arm is only capable of three movements-

1. Swinging (typical slashing movements)
    2. Pulling
    3. Pushing (typical stabbing movements)

Early on, while teaching edged weapons, before IET, I would often be the bad guy during force on force. During our folder into the fight drill, I would be hitting students with boxing gloves while they attempted to draw a folder from their person and defend themselves. It was a drill and not a scenario, meaning that there was no use of force decision for them to make. They just had to get the knife out and get me off of them. After several cuts/stabs, I would stop the drill and evaluate my injuries.

Over the last few years, I have had everyone from complete novices to highly trained people. Many who are highly trained in edged weapons are used to doing lots of knife on knife work. Typical wisdom is that even though any cut is a good cut, a stab is preferred over a cut. This is on the premise that it does more damage and is more likely to cause death.

What we found doing the drill was that when people are being assaulted, especially if they are being pushed backwards, their brain becomes more focused on the natural movement of the hands and less on what is in it. When we are pushed backwards, our hands automatically go up and out to the side in an attempt to regain our balance. For another easy to understand but natural example is something else we have all experienced, a bug in our face. What do you do when there is a bug in your face? You swat at it, you don't poke (stab) at it. The bug is close, on top of you, taking away your depth perception and visualization of the attack. Your brain knows that the best way to hit something is to use the entire hand to swat to cover the most space increasing the likelihood of striking the bug. It usually works. You hit the bug, the amount of damage is far from guaranteed though. The same thing holds true when armed with a knife defending against an attacker who is continuing to damage you. With the knife in your hand, you will no doubt make contact and even knock/push the bad guy away.

What we found when evaluating the injuries to me and other bad guys was that about 90% of the cuts were to the outside of our upper arms and across our stomach. Every once in a while maybe a face slash. Seldom was there anything that would stop a dedicated attacker from continuing the assault, at least it would allow the attack to continue for several more seconds to minutes. These were the findings for just about everyone, no matter their level of training.

Now when you take those with a high skill level and put them at arms distance against someone else who has a knife, the training shows through. The trained "knifer" owns the other guy. He has the range and distance to pick and choose where he wants to stab. He can even target the knife hand of the attacker. The problem with this is that there is very few documented knife on knife combat, at least in the US. Once they move back into clinch range, things go back to slashing.

With the traditional grip on the knife, there was really not a lot we could do. The grip only allowed for swinging and pushing. At contact distance there was not enough room between the combatants to line blade up with the attacker push (stab) the knife into vital areas. Due to the close proximity, it was also hard to aim for specific targets. When they would revert to swinging (slashing), the results were as I previously stated.

By inverting the knife in the hand, hammer grip around the handle with blade up, we restricted the hand to pulling movement. The arm is approximately 30% stronger when pulling than pushing. Picture taking your knife and using it to cut a piece of rope, but pulling the blade towards you. That is the idea of using your anatomy for IET. Now, let's talk about your attacker's anatomy.

InvertedGrip.jpg

Our body's are very well protected from the head to the feet. There are no sharp angles to catch on. Think of the way water runs down your body in the shower. All of our major organs and arteries are protected when we are in the fetal position. When we look at the body from the toes to the head, we notice three primary "targeting funnels".

1. The V formed between the head and shoulders.
    2. The V formed between the rib cage and upper arms.
    3. The V formed between the legs.

Two secondary targets utilized in defending from the ground are the back of the knee, and Achilles tendon.

F0010077.JPG

MEDRF_22388.JPG

There is a term I coined called "The Law of Extension". Simply put, it means that there is no way someone can attack you with a contact distance weapons (open hand, stick, knife) without extending their head, arms, and legs towards you. They have to expose the targeting funnels.

With firearms, we all know the benefit of shoot / don't shoot training. How do we accomplish cut / don't cut training? This is easy if you are training knife vs knife. The other guy is an obvious deadly threat. I see the knife more likely to be employed by someone who is being overwhelmed with an open hand or impact weapon assault. Maybe losing consciousness from having their head smashed off the wall or ground. In this case, you will have to use your knife to cut the attacker off of you. Your knife is likely carried near the waistline. Once open it will come up and under your attacker. It will naturally funnel into the crotch and armpit area. You simply set the hook and pull. The natural human response to pain is to pull away, as they do it creates a scissor effect ripping arteries, veins,muscles, and tendons. These areas are super vascular. In one ripping cut, you are likely to damage the attacker to the point that they are unable or unwilling to continue the attack, allowing you not to continue to use force.

A very common problem when using open hands and contact distance weapons is over extending and using balance. When using IET this is not such an issue because you are always pulling back in towards your center.

Though some are more comfortable, there is no special knife needed for IET. Lock type does not make a difference since the knife is held open by the pull of the cut. We do recommend the Spyderco Endura/Delica because of availability of a drone/trainer. IET is based on folders, but will work equally well with fixed blades.

Think of IET as fighting from the position you are likely to find yourself in, not the one you plan on being in.

IET Video MODERN COMBATIVE SYSTEMS - Inverted Edge Tactics Teaser Video

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    mercop, I am very interested in getting this DVD, because I have started to carry a knife as I work in a place that doesn't allow firearms on it's premises.

Sticking along the lines of my "refusing to be a victim" thinking, have you heard or experienced many court cases where someone defended themselves with a knife?

While I understand the point is to survive and win the fight, to the jury the methods may appear brutal, if anything because they are "messier" than a gunshot wound.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    self defense is self defense no matter what you defend your self with. as long as you were in fear for you life, you have the right to defend yourself by any means necessary and either way no matter what i am trying to make it home to my family so how ever i have to defend myself is how i will do it. And in my honest opinion

your always always better off being judged by 12 than carried by 6

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    self defense is self defense no matter what you defend your self with. as long as you were in fear for you life, you have the right to defend yourself by any means necessary and either way no matter what i am trying to make it home to my family so how ever i have to defend myself is how i will do it. And in my honest opinion

I understand all that, I'm talking about the "being judged by 12" part.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Not trying to argue, but there are decisions to be made. Just because someone tries to lay hands (or a fist) on you, doesn't necessarily mean you have free rein to bring lethal weapons into the mix. Perceptions abound and could quickly turn into "the murderer used a weapon to end the fist fight."

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    OK let me go about it differently i guess because now it seems were talking about fist fighting ???? (a fist fight is just a fist fight. fighting is a totally different thing to me) i must have been confused i was under the impression we were talking about self defense as in someone is trying to rob, kill, or cause you serious harm not beat your a@@.

and again it doesn't matter what happens cause if your truly in a self defense situation you have to come out of it alive before you can even be sent to court. what i am trying to say is you can't really be worried about omg what's the jury going to think about me because i had to kill this guy who was going to murder me.

my next question is what makes you think their is going to be a court case? if it was self defense that is what it is and you don't usually have a court case over it. look at the man who strangled that guy in his house who was trying to rape his daughter. the police ruled it as self defense and there for no court case

but if you did have to go to court who can tell what the jurors will think they are each their own individuals but if i was sitting on the jury it wouldn't matter if it was knife wounds, gun shots, or whatever if it really was a self defense issue not somebody getting beat up and pulling out a knife cause they can't take an a@@ whoopin

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    we're getting off topic.

Watching mercop's video clip, they do a good job of sweeping aside the firearm, then using the blade to lay open the perp's bicep.

In another section, they slice up three different areas.

I kind of look at this from a "2 to the body, one to the head" stance... will the jury ask if the one to the head was necessary... or was your military training taking over causing you to take a 3rd and unnecessary shot?

Same with the knife, will they ask since we sliced the femoral artery, was the jugular necessary too? :D

Don't get me wrong, if I was in the situation, it's fight to live. In my case, some 20 year old kid pounding his fists on my face, it will quickly turn in to a knife or gun fight.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    It all depends. As a subject matter expert in edged weapons and especially my system what I can do is get someone with no training from the jury to act exactly as you did when attacked. Asked those that have trained with me, in the beginning of class I make predictions of things that will happen and they do. You know why? Because people are people and our bodies work the same way. Unlike other edged weapon stuff out there IET is worthless offensively. It will not allow you to "go after someone". It's only purpose is to cut your attacker off of you buy instinctively bringing your hands up.

IET also allows for probing cuts. If the BG wants to reach in for you he gets his palm sliced wide open. If he decides to come back for more it makes your case for depraved indiffference and allows you to further articulate your need to used deadly force.- George

Top Bottom