Marginal luck with Tuck-able IWB Holster - Ideas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Picked up a De Santis SOF-Tuck for S&W hammer less J Frame (what was in stock while on a business trip, that fits what I have at this time). I am currently in the learning mode at the moment and appreciate any ideas on how to use a tuck-able IWB holster, other tuck-able IWB holster options and/or other options to carry something a little large than what fits in the pocket, and still be able to tuck in one's shirt (time and places were really need to be dressed a little better, in particular when 40 years past being twenty ;-). Already have covered the pocket carry and no real issue carrying anything less than MP5K with the shirt un-tucked ;-)

My initial experiences are:

- Behind hip carry location is harder (not viable?) to do as need both hands to draw and tuck in shirt.
    - Front of hip carry, which is shown on web site, leaves he muzzle pointing (or digging with longer barrels) in your upper leg, when seated
    - Clip tends to come off the bottom of the belt when moving around, as the holster is riding on the pants.
    - The clip is still visible and the over all package is fairly thick.
    - Tried pulling just a tucked tee shirt out and it can be hard to pull, to the point of needing a few trys (time outs suck in the real world ;-). Of course need to work on how much tuck and can see why the front of hip carry is recommended (use both hands easier).
    - For IWB and un-tuck carry like having both a tee shirt and square cut button up shirt to break outlines, don't think this will work work for this due to un-tucking effort.
    - Initial first pass thoughts are that this might not be any better option than a deep cover tee shirt or belly band which you have to pull up the shirt and is slow to draw, thus needing one to still carry a pocket gun etc.

Once (if) get use to a working setup for a tuck-able IWB holster or another option, will go shopping for a proper size hand gun
    - Pocket size (Colt Pony 380, Khar CM9), however, at this size point a pocket carry preferred and what I am doing with the Pony.
    - Sub-compact dual feed mag (CZ RAMI, G26 etc.) - a tucked IWB holster might be a nice match with the shorter grip printing less. If limited to un-tucked then will probably default to larger.
    - Sub-compact single feed or "larger pocket stye" (Kahar P9 or PM9, S&W Shield) - Thinner but as high (tall) as the sub-compact in many cases, interesting trade offs between the two and similar limits (i.e. both too large for most pants pockets).
    - Compact dual feed mag (G19, CZ 75D PCR Compact, USP Compact etc.) - possible the idea in size vs capabilities, if can hide well (or at least ok) with out leaving a shirt un-tucked (in which case can just carry the G17, P220 etc. ....)

Regards
    John

Top Bottom