How could this happen with the right holster.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Very vague on detail. Why did he have it out of the holster? Did he pull it out to show someone? Or is this one of those guns you hear about jumping out of the holster and going on a killing rampage all by itself?

Guy probably was pulling it out to show it off, or coonfinger it with his other gun buddies.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I agree.
    Many of the "cleaning" accidents are reported that way to avoid embarassment from the shooter who doesn't want to say he was dicking around.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It does not say it was in the holster.

It does:

after the weapon fell out of a customer's holster.

Anyway.

Cheap holsters will cough out a gun if you move wrong. Those cheapy fabric Uncle Mike's with the plastic clip are a great example. I bought one for a Beretta 9000S years ago when there weren't many holsters available yet and I wanted to be able to use it at the range while my custom holster was being made. The inside was so slick and there was no retention, no way would I have used it off range.

Oh, and dupe:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...scussion/288691-nd_in_fort_wayne_walmart.html

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Potential lessons:

• Use a quality holster.
    • Carry a handgun that's a modern drop safe design.
    • If a gun does fall - LET IT GO. In the course of trying to grab it in the air you can slip a finger into the triggerguard and bad things can happen. Far safer to let it go and pick it up off the deck afterwards.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Glockcidental discharges are common. Many claim there is no "external safety". Which means there is no operator useable safety. Any internal safety's are strictly for drop protection or keep it from firing out of battery. If it snags on the holster, a finger, or anything else it can easily discharge. Many say the safety is between the ears, or use the overly general term "quality" holster. No one specifies which holsters are quality, how many times you can holster the weapon before it needs replaced, or how to count how many times it has been holstered. How to measure it for wear with a micrometer, etc. To those claiming a revolver has no safety they are wrong, the revolver is a double action handgun. There is a huge difference in a short striker fired trigger pull and a long hard double action trigger pull. I hear of glocks discharging often, I have never heard of a revolver accidentally discharging due to holstering.
    The information is not out yet. There are a few reasons to unholster, and you should not have to worry about a gun discharging when you reholster.

I have even read where people forget when they lay their gun on a toilet paper holder because they didn't want some degenerate grabbing their gun underneath a stall while they were on the toilet with their pants and holster down around their ankles.

I would reserve judgement until the details are released, if they are ever released. I was at a gun show once where a cop shot a 10mm bullet through his femur. You guessed it, seeing if a new holster would fit his Glock. A simple google search for Glockcidental Discharge.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...83,d.dmQ&fp=c1566bd9f347232c&biw=1366&bih=569

Last edited:

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Do you have some actual data or just a few anecdotal stories? I have been looking for hard data but all I have found are mostly second hand interwebs legend.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Interesting Stories...

Glockcidental discharges are common. Many claim there is no "external safety". Which means there is no operator useable safety. Any internal safety's are strictly for drop protection or keep it from firing out of battery. If it snags on the holster, a finger, or anything else it can easily discharge. Many say the safety is between the ears, or use the overly general term "quality" holster. No one specifies which holsters are quality, how many times you can holster the weapon before it needs replaced, or how to count how many times it has been holstered. How to measure it for wear with a micrometer, etc. To those claiming a revolver has no safety they are wrong, the revolver is a double action handgun. There is a huge difference in a short striker fired trigger pull and a long hard double action trigger pull. I hear of glocks discharging often, I have never heard of a revolver accidentally discharging due to holstering.
    The information is not out yet. There are a few reasons to unholster, and you should not have to worry about a gun discharging when you reholster.

I have even read where people forget when they lay their gun on a toilet paper holder because they didn't want some degenerate grabbing their gun underneath a stall while they were on the toilet with their pants and holster down around their ankles.

I would reserve judgement until the details are released, if they are ever released. I was at a gun show once where a cop shot a 10mm bullet through his femur. You guessed it, seeing if a new holster would fit his Glock. A simple google search for Glockcidental Discharge.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclien...83,d.dmQ&fp=c1566bd9f347232c&biw=1366&bih=569

Not sure about the "pants and holster down around their ankles." part??

When I carry (Glock or otherwise) I will ONLY carry in a good holster.
    For me-Finger is NOT on the trigger until the sights are on the target...Bill.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    It's all about the weakest link. Crappy gun or crappy holster or crappy user or crappy combination of those three.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Not sure about the "pants and holster down around their ankles." part??

When I carry (Glock or otherwise) I will ONLY carry in a good holster.
    For me-Finger is NOT on the trigger until the sights are on the target...Bill.

Some carry in a inside the waistband holster that is attached to their belt. If they are in a public bathroom stall in a #2 bathroom function, their pants/belt/holstered gun would be on the floor or around their ankles where someone could easily reach underneath the stall while they are occupied and snatch a gun from the holster and run. Meanwhile you sit there with an empty holster, your pants around your ankles, and some slightly used toilet paper in your hand. The guy could be long gone before you could catch them if they snatch and run. Some choose to unholster the gun and lay it somewhere the guy in the next stall can't easily reach it, like on top of the toilet paper holder, then reholster when the job is finished. Under this situation, if they re holstered with a holster that drug on the trigger it could go off. That is the pants around the ankles scenario. Kinda makes you want to go to a shoulder holster and avoid the problem altogether.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Repeat after me....This is my safety (while holding trigger finger straight out.)
    That doesn't really apply if the gun falls to the ground and discharges on it's own [unless I misunderstand the incident?].

That said, proper gear goes a long way. I don't get why people pay $$$$$$ for guns and $ for holsters/accessories/training.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    That doesn't really apply if the gun falls to the ground and discharges on it's own [unless I misunderstand the incident?].

That said, proper gear goes a long way. I don't get why people pay $$$$$$ for guns and $ for holsters/accessories/training.

True, I couldn't read the story on my phone. I'm curious as to the gun/holster combination.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Most important take away--it is not just fingers:

1. Holsters cause guns to fire.

2. Gravity causes guns to fire.

3. All kinds of goofy stuff other than fingers cause guns to fire.

4. Loading and unloading cause guns to fire.

It is a gun, not a magic charm. Treat it as a snake not a toy.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Thanks (I Think??) for the clarification...

Some carry in a inside the waistband holster that is attached to their belt. If they are in a public bathroom stall in a #2 bathroom function, their pants/belt/holstered gun would be on the floor or around their ankles where someone could easily reach underneath the stall while they are occupied and snatch a gun from the holster and run. Meanwhile you sit there with an empty holster, your pants around your ankles, and some slightly used toilet paper in your hand. The guy could be long gone before you could catch them if they snatch and run. Some choose to unholster the gun and lay it somewhere the guy in the next stall can't easily reach it, like on top of the toilet paper holder, then reholster when the job is finished. Under this situation, if they re holstered with a holster that drug on the trigger it could go off. That is the pants around the ankles scenario. Kinda makes you want to go to a shoulder holster and avoid the problem altogether.

Paul, I appreciate you spelling that out for me??
    I DO realize the FAIL in having your EDC in the holster, on the floor of a public restroom.

For ME, I adapt as needed-Coat hook, TP dispenser, back of the toilet tank, etc.....

Hell, I have even been known to just let my EDC "Swing" in my "Tighty Whiteys", where "Fred" usually rides! JUST TRY to get it out of there..HA HA...Bill.

Top Bottom