• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I'm relatively new to carrying a handgun and I just can't bring myself to carry it with one in the pipe. Am I alone or does anyone else feel this way? I know every second counts in a life or death situation but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    What gun are you carrying? If you're this nervous maybe you should get a revolver and
    carry it 'cowboy style' with the hammer down on an empty chamber.
    Modern firearms won't go off if dropped; if you carry a double action see if you can carry it with the hammer down and safety on. Then you can leave one in the chamber knowing there's 2 steps to firing...safety and a long trigger pull.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You need to get some training if you are nervous about carrying a gun (one in the pipe or not, doesn't matter).
    I dont see the point of carrying a gun unloead, but if you decide to do that you better train to chamber a round one handed since you will probably have your other hand busy or injured in a self defense situation (just like you should do even if you carry with one in the pipe).

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    You need to get some training if you are nervous about carrying a gun (one in the pipe or not, doesn't matter).
    I dont see the point of carrying a gun unloead, but if you decide to do that you better train to chamber a round one handed since you will probably have your other hand busy or injured in a self defense situation (just like you should do even if you carry with one in the pipe).

Sylvain has the right idea!

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I think a lot of people who are new to carrying have the same concern. After a while you begin to feel more comfortable with the gun and you'll decide to try keeping one in the chamber. Familiarity with the weapon over time will ease you mind a lot.

wizard_of_ahs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Terre Haute
    I dont see the point of carrying a gun unloaded, but if you decide to do that you better train to chamber a round one handed since you will probably have your other hand busy or injured in a self defense situation (just like you should do even if you carry with one in the pipe).

:+1:

If you don't have one in the pipe, might as well carry a stick :D JMHO ;)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carried "empty" for a week or so when I first started. Once I was a bit more comfortable, I loaded up and never looked back.

I cannot think of a good reason to carry unloaded now. The multiple safeties on my handgun prevent an accidental discharge, and my brain prevents a negligent one.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    In answer to your question, no one that I know of. My recommendation to you would be to become completely familiar with your carry weapon of choice and perhaps reassess if it really fits your needs. I also recommend a lot of training and familiarization at the range. Only through experience and knowledge will you be able to make a good decision on how you want to carry.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm relatively new to carrying a handgun and I just can't bring myself to carry it with one in the pipe. Am I alone or does anyone else feel this way? I know every second counts in a life or death situation but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

What type of handgun? With a Glock and other striker fired guns, it is easy to see if the trigger is fired. I tell people to carry it that way if they must, but have the trigger cocked for a while and notice that it doesn't fire on its own.

The danger with carrying an empty chamber with a cocked trigger is that you are not going to diagnose an empty chamber as quickly and might pull the trigger on an empty chamber before remembering to rack.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would only carry without one in the chamber if I carried a gun with no safety and no holster in a bag or something, where items in the bag (pens and such) could get into the trigger guard.
    But if you carry the gun on your person, with a quality holster then you should have on in the chamber.

25mux

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    I agree with the training and becoming more comfortable. You might as well carry a rock if you are carrying without one in the pipe. With the right training and confidence it is much safer to carry all ready to roll.

Ltrain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I've got a M&P 9c w/o a thumb safety. I do sometimes carry a Sig p238 but that has a thumb safety and I'm a little more at ease with it. I think a training course and perhaps a better holster is in order. Thanks for the input.

joshualee49

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 12, 2012
    Gas City, Indiana
    I carry with one in the chamber. I can understand from a new gun owner's perspective how it might be unnerving at first. But, as stated, a quality firearm in a quality holster will NOT go off by itself. Modern handguns all have one or more safeties built in to prevent accidental discharge. Especially compact and sub-compact sizes.

I have three small children and would never leave my firearm sitting around in "condition one". It's either on my hip or locked up at my home...

Consider the purpose - if you are honestly carrying the firearm in case you ever have to defend yourself, you don't want to have to add any more steps to the process than necessary. If I'm carrying the Glock, I have one in the chamber and the gun in the holster. Pull, aim, fire. 3 steps. If I carry my 1911, I carry cocked and locked - round in the chamber, hammer back, thumb safety on. Pull (sweep safey off while bringing the gun up to point of aim), aim, fire. 3 steps either way considering I am training myself to sweep the safety off as I draw the 1911...

Not having a round in the chamber adds an extra step of racking the slide (in a semi-auto) which may or may not make the difference in you getting off the first shot or being able to get a shot off before the BG closes - whatever the case may be. You might only be talking about 2 seconds, but a lot can happen in 2 seconds depending on what situation you find yourself in... :twocents:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I've got a M&P 9c w/o a thumb safety. I do sometimes carry a Sig p238 but that has a thumb safety and I'm a little more at ease with it. I think a training course and perhaps a better holster is in order. Thanks for the input.

The fast that your gun has a safety or not shouldn't have anything to do with your decision of carrying with or without a round in the chamber.

If you follow the four safety rules at all times then your gun is ALWAYS safe, no matter is it's a gun with no safety and a very light trigger or a gun with 5 external safeties and a 15 pounds trigger.

A holster that covers the trigger guard is a must, not matter what model you carry. :yesway:

Top Bottom