• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I read this earlieer this morning. I understand he was trying to do the right thing by checking it in, but if he would have been a responsible carrier he would have checked the state laws first to see if it was legal to carry in that state. Its really his own fault and should have educated himself prior to the trip.

Its no different than if someone were to make a machine gun then try to register it without knowing the law. Your still gonna get screwed, and ignorance is not an alibi.

ratfortman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2009
    Yep,ya gotta know the law. The article mentions his "IN registered handgun". Hmmm. I must have missed something.
    It also mentions that he was carrying $15K in gold, which i guess is not all that much in weight now.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    Yep,ya gotta know the law. The article mentions his "IN registered handgun". Hmmm. I must have missed something.
    It also mentions that he was carrying $15K in gold, which i guess is not all that much in weight now.

Im just assuming by "registered", they mean that he could legally carry in IN.

RMOR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Anderson
    Not sure what "Indiana-registered handgun" means. I assume they're talking about his Indiana LTCH? I feel bad for him too. Not sure what to think, I guess you have to be aware of the law wherever you are. Sad situation especially since he tried to do the "right" thing.

pipman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    SW Indy
    I feel bad to him too, but as a LTCH holder, if I am traveling to other states I always check their laws. Even if I have been there before I'll check to make sure there haven't been any changes since the last time I was there. I do travel to New York a few times a year and unfortunately have to leave side arm at home. I don't like it, but what can I do... I'm also a veteran, but would never use that as an excuse to get out of something that I should inquire about being a responsible LTCH holder. Just my :twocents:.

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    You always hear that no knowing the law is no excuse, but come on! It's F'in ridiculous that there are so many damn laws from state to state that only impact law abiding citizens.....Here's a challenge.. with looking it up.. your traveling to Nebraska... do they recognize IN's permit.. can you carry there?? how about....west Virginia?

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    You always hear that no knowing the law is no excuse, but come on! It's F'in ridiculous that there are so many damn laws from state to state that only impact law abiding citizens.....Here's a challenge.. with looking it up.. your traveling to Nebraska... do they recognize IN's permit.. can you carry there?? how about....west Virginia?
    I travel a lot and I always check the laws where I am going. It takes a couple of minutes to find out online Handgunlaw.us

By the way WV I must open carry if I only have an LTCH from IN and do not have a non-res from Florida or Utah. Nebraska does not honor IN Permit, but once again if I have an Utah or Florida non res I can carry there.

Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. As I said when I opened the post I felt bad for him.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Ok, let me help you with this. When you come on to a thread where the opening post has a title "Marine Arrested" and there is a link to the story, in the post already. You don't have to ask the question "Anybody already posted this story about the IN Marine that took his 45 Ruger to NYC? " and repost the link.

The fact you are on such a thread would indicate the story has already been posted.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Ok, let me help you with this. When you come on to a thread where the opening post has a title "Marine Arrested" and there is a link to the story, in the post already. You don't have to ask the question "Anybody already posted this story about the IN Marine that took his 45 Ruger to NYC? " and repost the link.

The fact you are on such a thread would indicate the story has already been posted.

Threads Merged for $1000, please, Alex!

(just a guess btw)

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

It might have been combined with this thread if he started another one. it happens.

Anyone think this should go to the supreme court as a 2nd Amendment case? Unconstitutional laws aside he should have known better but at least now he could be a test case for national reciprocity based on a court case instead of legislation.

What kind of cop ARRESTS a person JUST for having a gun anyway??? A crime, sure. Tack on an additional charge of carrying but just having a gun, come on. Take off the jackboots for a minute.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    We're talking about MAIG Bloomberg's NYC and its not a jaywalking or spitting on the sidewalk he's accused of. I'm sorry, I'm not the least sympathetic for the guy. He should have checked BEFORE entering the state.
    Hanging the "Former Marine" title does nothing but besmirch the Corps, A deliberate attempt to mitigate his error by saying he's somehow exempt because of his military service.

I agree the law is stupid and needs to be changed, but "doing the right thing" should have occured prior to his visit. No different than the Head of the Tea Party who recently got busted when checking in his pistol at La Guardia after being in the State for several days.

Yes, I wish SCOTUS would just blanket rule that there is one law governing firearms, The 2nd Amemndment, and no other can trump it, but it hasn't and until they do, if the do, we are stuck with what we have.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville

It is difficult! But the USCCA database makes it a lot easier, and I always recheck it before traveling: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/travel/

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Threads Merged for $1000, please, Alex!

(just a guess btw)

:whistle: 50 post perhaps?

Top Bottom