• indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Spring Break in Arizona:

We went through this last year.

“Are you really going to take that, honey? I think my family would be freaked out. Look, there weren’t guns around my house when we were growing up. Well, my dad had a revolver that his dad gave him, but it was never out where we could actually see it. So that doesn’t count. Whatever. I know we’re all chipping in to rent this condo, but I just don’t think my family would understand.”

My wife continued then with a string of hypothetical and potentially uncomfortable “what-ifs”: What if your shirt rides up and someone sees it? What if one of the eight-year-old nephews sees it and asks my sister “why is Uncle Joe carrying a gun?” What if one of the boys goes into our room and finds your pistol locked up, suddenly morphs into MacGyver and picks the lock with a Nintendo DS stylus? What if a desert wind blows your Ruger into the living room and it lands in the middle of the girls’ game of Hungry Hungry Hippos?

Last year, I acquiesced. Fine. I’ll just bring my Olight and a Kershaw.

This year, though, I told her it’s good she’s thinking of “potential what-ifs.” I’m thinking of the what-ifs, too. I’m just thinking of different what-ifs. And it’s because of those what-ifs that I’ve been carrying regularly for nearly two years.

We talked it through. Sure, I’ll make some accommodations. Yes, I can be discrete. Inside the waistband is fine. Yes, I’ll bring the little Ruger instead of the Glock 19. Yes, I’ll put a mag-well lock on it when it’s not on my person and people are out by the pool. Great. Let’s go on vacation!

Doing the Homework:

Having come to an agreement and never having transported a firearm on an airplane flight, I started by doing my homework. I reviewed the TSA bulletin on “Traveling with Special Items” (TSA: Traveling with Special Items) and I made sure I was familiar with the airline’s own posted guidance (US Airways | Special items).
    The rules are not complicated. Basically (and make sure you read all the details for yourself):

• Unload it.
    • Package ammunition separately. You can put that separate package in the same hard-sided case as your firearm.
    • Put the firearm in a locked hard-sided container, which you can place in your soft-sided checked baggage.
    • You may put a lock on your suitcase, but may be asked to open it for TSA inspection.
    • Declare your firearm at the ticket counter when checking in.

Okay. Not too hard to follow.

Getting Ready:

Although probably overkill (and not required by anything I read), I made copies of the TSA and airline regs, and along with a cover page showing my personal contact information, placed those papers in a Ziploc bag duct-taped to the outside of the gun case.

I figured that if, by chance, my luggage would be inspected by a noob TSA agent or airline employee, making sure they had quick access to their own regs might help alleviate any misunderstandings on their parts. At the very least, including these papers would demonstrate (I’m guessing) that “this guy has done his homework and my assumptions can lean toward ‘everything is in order here.’”

1TSAregs.png

Ticket Counter:

I arrived at Indianapolis International about an hour prior to my departure. Next time, I’ll definitely get there earlier. Maybe 90 minutes, or better yet, two hours prior to departure. This was a 0600 am flight, and yes… I may have hit the snooze alarm one too many times at zero-dark-thirty.

Even at 0500, there was a fairly long line at the US Airways ticket counter. I took my place and looked at my watch, starting to perspire just a bit and cursing that extra 30 minutes of sleep. The line moved quickly enough, though. About 10 minutes later, I heard “next passenger in line, please.”

I wheeled my bag to the counter. I had rehearsed my lines, not wanted to blurt out something unfortunate like, “Hi there. I have a gun.”

Following my script, I said with a friendly smile on my face, “G’morning, ma’am. I need to declare that I’m transporting an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage here. Everything is in compliance with your airline regs and with TSA regs on transporting special items. I understand you’ll have some forms for me to sign?”

I was relieved that the ticket agent did not appear confused or alarmed. Part of me envisioned my declaration triggering alarm claxons, ticket agents diving for cover, women throwing their bodies atop their screaming children, and SWAT guys rappelling from the rafters.

No such excitement.

She looked at the bag and looked back up at me. “I’ll need to see it,” she said. “And yes, I have a form for you.”

As the ticket agent went to retrieve her paperwork, I hoisted my suitcase onto the scale and unzipped it. I had planned ahead and made sure that the gun case was on top; I assumed it was likely I’d have to open the case, and didn’t want to be fishing through underwear and socks to get at it.

I spun the dials on the two combination Master padlocks, and flipped the case open.

2padlocks.png

The ticket agent returned with her forms and bent over to visually inspect the contents of my case. Inside, she observed a Ruger LCP, a Ruger gunlock, a 6-round magazine, and an ammo box (containing seven rounds of Corbon JHP).

3interior.png

The Ruger was covered in gray cotton cloth. As the ticket agent scanned the contents, I pointed toward the firearm, but was very conscious of not actually putting my hand on it or near it, unless requested.

Satisfied with what she saw, the ticket agent filled out the right side of the red “US Airways Firearm(s) Unloaded” declaration, on which she wrote my flight number, the date, airport of departure, and her employee number. She then had me sign at the bottom of the form.

4unloadedformwithnameblankedout.jpg

Interesting note: I’d packed the Ruger LCP with its slide forward and almost completely wrapped in a cotton cloth. As she inspected the contents of the case, the ticket agent did not ask me to remove the firearm from the case and demonstrate an empty chamber. Thus, she herself did not visually confirm that the firearm was unloaded. While I would have assumed that this would be part of her process, I’m guessing that this did not occur either because of her unfamiliarity with firearms in general, or because she didn’t want a pistol out of its case and its owner racking a slide at a ticket counter with 50 people in line. Thankfully, this possible oversight on her part had no repercussions for me after this point. But on my return trip, I’ll plan on packing the pistol with the mag-well padlock installed (and a chamber flag, if I can find one), just to avoid any unnecessary questions or excessive handling of the firearm at the ticket counter.

Having completed her inspection, the ticket agent placed the red copy of the signed declaration inside the gun case and told me I could go ahead and lock it up. I closed the gun case and reattached the two padlocks.

I had a small “TSA-compliant” luggage padlock in hand and asked the ticket agent, “Can I confirm it is okay for me to lock my suitcase with this small padlock?” She said, “Yes, you can put a lock on there. The TSA inspectors at the security checkpoint might ask you to open it up again, though.”

I looked at my watch. Fifteen minutes until boarding and I again cursed my snooze alarm.

The ticket agent handed my boarding pass back to me with a copy of the firearms declaration stapled to the top. “When you get to the security checkpoint,” she instructed, “make sure you ask for a TSA supervisor and give them this form.”

No special tags or markings were applied to the exterior of my suitcase.

TSA Security Checkpoint:

Entering the security checkpoint, I presented the TSA officer with my photo ID (Indiana driver’s license) and my boarding pass with declaration attached.
    “G’morning, sir.” I said. I pointed at the firearms declaration. “I have a special item in my checked baggage and was told to ask for a supervisor when I got here.” The TSA officer was cool and did not seem taken aback in any way.

He went through his regular routine, checking my photo ID against the mug in front of him and against the name on the boarding pass. I was not asked to display an LTCH.

He turned his attention to the firearms declaration. “Long gun or short one?” he asked.

“Short,” I said.

“What kind of locks are on there? Key or combination?” he asked.

“There’s two combination padlocks on the hard-sided case, and a key padlock on the suitcase,” I said.

The TSA officer made some notes on the firearms declaration, separated it from my boarding pass, and handed the boarding pass back to me.

“Okay,” he said. “Go ahead through the checkpoint like usual. When you get through, go over to the supervisor’s booth and check in with them,” he said, pointing to a big cubicle on the far side of the security scanners. “I’ll run this form over there and get things started for you.” (My thought was that the officer actually sounded like customer service was important. Kinda nice.)

Through the metal detectors with no problem, I put my shoes and belt back on, laptop back in its bag, and walked over to the supervisor’s booth, which was occupied by two TSA officers.

“G’morning, guys,” I said. “I have checked baggage containing special items and I was told stop here.”

“What’s your last name?” the one asked. I told him. He checked his monitor.

“Okay, hang tight. They might need to come up and get the key to your suitcase,” he said.

Uh-oh. My flight started boarding five minutes ago. My 0600 am departure just started looking questionable.

The second officer said to the first, “Maybe not.” To me, “Give us a couple minutes.”

Watching 0600 creep up on my watch, I tried not to sweat or look fidgety. Those behaviors could be misinterpreted by guys in this line of work.

After about five minutes, officer #1 took a call, listened, looked over at me, and hung up the phone. “You’re good,” he said.

“I can go?” I said, hoisting a thumb toward the exit.

“Have a good trip,” he said.

Learning Points:

The rest of the trip was routine and uneventful. I retrieved my suitcase at the baggage claim at Phoenix Sky Harbor, verified that the external padlock was still in place, opened the suitcase and confirmed that the hard-sided gun case was still in there, Master padlocks securely in place.

Tips I’d offer when transporting your firearm in checked baggage:

• Give yourself plenty of lead time and arrive at least two hours prior to your departure. Give yourself plenty of buffer to allow for long lines or potential delays that might go along with various inspections of your baggage. I made my flight this time, but I had no cushion. If anything had gone less smoothly, if the ticket line had taken ten minutes longer, or if TSA had wanted to have its own look-see, I’d have been taking a later flight.
    • Pack the firearm with a cable lock, mag-well lock, and/or a chamber flag in place. Make it as easy as possible for an airline ticket agent or a TSA officer to visually confirm that the firearm is safe and unloaded without any unnecessary handling of the firearm.
    • Choose wisely the language you use when interacting with airline ticket agents and TSA officers. You’re not “carrying a gun.” You are “transporting an unloaded firearm in compliance with TSA and airline regulations.”
    • Make sure that your locked hard-sided gun case is readily available for inspection, accessible within your suitcase and not buried under your laundry.
    • Use of key-operated padlocks might make it quicker to get the case open for inspection on request. When asked to open the combo padlocks, I was admittedly a little nervous, and fumbled the combination at least once on each of the two padlocks.
    • It's actually not a bad idea to leave the hard-sided case unlocked until after you conclude your firearms declaration with the ticket agent. The ticket counters are not classified as "secure areas" of the airport (that is, the security checkpoints and beyond). So having an unloaded firearm in an unlocked case at the ticket counter does not put you outside of the law, and can make it quicker and easier for you confirm with the ticket agent that the firearm is unloaded. After you complete your declaration process, you can then lock the hard-sided case and continue with your check-in and security screening.
    • If transporting a handgun, make sure you have a clear understanding of the handgun laws in the state to which you’re traveling, most importantly whether they honor your state’s carry license. The Handgun Law site (Handgunlaw.us) or the NRA Reciprocity Map (NRA Reciprocity Map) are good resources. Arizona honors all other states’ permits and licenses, for example. Show up at the Newark airport, however, and your reception will not be so friendly. But again, who vacations in New Jersey?

A good understanding of the laws, regulations, and processes involved with airline transport of your personal firearm will keep you from running afoul of the law, and ensure you can continue to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights to protect yourself and your family even when traveling or vacationing outside of your home state.

Disclaimer: This posting is not meant to represent definitive legal advice. Policies of airlines and airports may vary. It is your responsibility to do your own research and ensure that you acting within the law whenever you attempt to transport a firearm in airline checked baggage.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Nice write-up. Glad it went well for you. One thing regarding the locks though. You could probably leave the case unlocked until you've handled your business at the ticket counter. Especially in a 2A friendly state like IN. There's not really a NEED to have your case locked ahead of time, as you'll just have to open it at the counter. Whatever you're comfortable with though...

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Absolutely fantastic report!!

This should be included in next month's Guns 'n Ammo Magazine!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Consumer quatities of ammunition (the definition varies by airline) packed so that primers are protected is (are?) fine.
    Check the airline web site to be sure of quantities.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Nice write-up. Glad it went well for you. One thing regarding the locks though. You could probably leave the case unlocked until you've handled your business at the ticket counter. Especially in a 2A friendly state like IN...

ryknoll3: This is an excellent point, and worthy of adding to the summary bullets (which I'll do). Thx!

Absolutely fantastic report!!

This should be included in next month's Guns 'n Ammo Magazine!

esrice: A challenge. Okay, I'll bite. Will let you know how it goes.

Can you explain how you got by with the ammo in the bag? I was under the impression you cannot transport explosives.

Integraholic: Good question and I think Bill B nailed the answer. Both the TSA and the airline web sites provide similar information, such as this, quoted from the TSA site:

• You must securely pack any ammunition in fiber (such as cardboard), wood or metal boxes or other packaging that is specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.
    • You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).
    • You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
    • You can't bring black powder or percussion caps used with black-powder type firearms in either your carry-on or checked baggage.

Thx, all.

Wwwildthing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    Arizona
    If your going to Arizona, you'll need to know the following...

If you are so licensed, you must have your permit in your possession when carrying a weapon. Persons without a permit, can carry under the Constitutional Carry provision (i.e. - as long as you are 21 years of age or older and legally able to own a firearm, you can carry anywhere it is legal to do so, including an automobile).

The method of carry (in either case) is your choice... open or concealed. There is complete state preemption of all firearms laws... open carry is common and law enforcement is well educated as to its legality.

There is no 'duty to inform' when contacted by a LEO, unless specifically asked if you are armed or the situation warrants that you notify them. The permit must be presented to any law enforcement officer, upon request, along with a drivers license, military ID, state ID card or passport. A law enforcement officer may temporarily take possession of a firearm during traffic stops or other official contacts with the public.

With a permit, you may carry a concealed weapon in an establishment that serves alcohol, unless the establishment has posted signs prohibiting weapons (A.R.S. 4-229). You may not consume alcohol while in possession of your firearm (A.R.S. 4-244). Open Carry in such an establishment is illegal by anyone, permit or not.

You may not carry in any place posted as follows: Where signage contains a pictogram that shows a firearm within a red circle and a diagonal red line across the firearm, with the words, “No firearms allowed pursuant to A.R.S. Section 4-229″... ( http://i990.photobucket.com/albums/af29/writing8686/Firearmssign.jpg )

Most government facilities will provide a location to temporarily store a firearm. Persons who refuse to leave and/or secure their weapon are trespassing and can be cited or arrested (per ARS 13-1502 or ARS 13-1503), depending on the venue (peace officers are excepted).

Arizona law permits private business owners (or their designates) to prohibit weapons from being brought onto their property, whether signs are posted or not. Private businesses are typically non-government operated businesses such as grocery and department stores, convenience stores, laundromats, banks, office complexes, etc. Failure to obey the request can result in your arrest for trespassing (ARS 13-1502 / ARS 13-1503).

Arizona is a Castle Doctrine state and has a Stand-Your-Ground law.

Tribal Reservations have their own laws and should be avoided or researched prior to visiting.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the great report. It helps to plan for the next trip.

I am surprised by the requirement to check with the security personnel. When I flew Fort Wayne-Ft. Myers and Fort Wayne-Jackson Hole, all I had to do was declare them weapons at check-in, allow the visual inspection (no mag locks or flags), lock and go. Goo to know this is happening.

I always arrive two hours in advance for any flight. Too many things can delay the process. Early arrival allows for a peaceful cup of coffee before boarding. Better than dashing through the airport like an out-of-shape OJ (hope you all remember that commercial).

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Excellent write-up! Thank you very much for sharing your experience - and great job on the preparation!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Thanks for the great report. It helps to plan for the next trip.

I am surprised by the requirement to check with the security personnel. When I flew Fort Wayne-Ft. Myers and Fort Wayne-Jackson Hole, all I had to do was declare them weapons at check-in, allow the visual inspection (no mag locks or flags), lock and go. Goo to know this is happening.

I always arrive two hours in advance for any flight. Too many things can delay the process. Early arrival allows for a peaceful cup of coffee before boarding. Better than dashing through the airport like an out-of-shape OJ (hope you all remember that commercial).

Every airport has a different procedure. (I don't know why) Some have an area where you have to take the case, place it on a table and stand behind a line while a TSA agent confirms that it is unloaded, others do it differently. Just be prepared to be flexible.

Top Bottom