• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    We normally feel safer in our homes and many don't feel the need to carry there or keep a gun near by. This is one more example of why you don't have time to retrieve a gun from your home if a person breaks in. Sad and sick, 4 Yutes break into an older mans home who sells tractor implements and beat him with a wooden handle. He had brain surgery due to the injury and will never be the same. I would rather have read "4 Yutes shot in an attempted robbery, in other news ...."

18-year-old charged in severe beating

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Also: the attackers used a scary, black, assault wooden handle, didn't they?
    A friend of mine had a younger brother who was mean as a snake. He did the same thing with his bare hands in 1994, and was released from prison around 2008. I believe he got about 30 years and did half of them. Odd thing was 2 of my friends each had a mean younger brother. Both of them beat an old couple half to death. I read about it years after I left the area. One actually thought they were "just going to rob" the older couple, then the other went crazy beating the older man. The one was given a lighter sentence because he actually pulled the other guy off him and restrained him. Choose your friends wisely. Those 2 Yutes are both dead, one died drinking and driving a 4 wheeler across a train track while the train was using it, the meaner one who actually started beating the old man served about shot himself during a police stand off. Amazing how people can grow up in the same house with the same parents and be 2 completely different people. Regardless, a person breaks into your home trying to do you harm, I will try to stop them by any means necessary.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I try to keep one nearby / within reach at home but don't always wear it. The thing I have to make an effort to remember is to move it to the bedroom at night. I have caught myself on a couple of occasions when I left it in the living room or kitchen and had to get up from bed to retrieve it. Would be bad if someone broke in and was able to get to your firearm before you could.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    As others have written, to have handy is your one chance to react. You do need to rethink plan "B" if you are moving about, a couple secured firearms unless little ones(kids) are around. Only way is high and secure for everyone's safety.

My 2 sons have never infringed on our safety by "finding Daddy's gun". They were trained young, and the "pumpkin explosion" demo always cured the curious side of handguns.

My older son belonged to a rifle team using 22lr. Younger one has zero vested interest, despite going hunting with me, in firearms. Even children have different opinions raised in same household. Do your best, safety first.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Carrying on body at home solves a lot of problems. If it's always on, there is never a concern about where it will be, getting to it or little one's getting there first.

Icing on the cake is that you become intimately familiar with carrying. It feels odd when you are not carrying. Never a concern for how comfy or concealed you will be when you "gun up."

I don't sit in front of the TV in my jammies without a handgun, knife and light.

Years ago I used to chuckle at rhino, thinking he had to carry at home...:laugh:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To those who keep something "close by" or "within reach," that's great . . . until it's not close enough or within reach enough. You don't know how much time you'll have to even take one or two steps. You may have to be moving away from where you stashed it.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Gun goes on immediately after the pants. And, since pants SEEM to be required.....

Lots of other tools in close proximity, too.

^this. The only time I don't carry something is if it would be a felony to do so and then I'm pissed about the infringement of my right to arms!

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Reminded of the gal over the weekend who confronted an intruder in her house...ran to grab her gun but in the stress of the situation looked in the wrong place for it....so she grabbed her backup [strike]gun[/strike] , uh, sword. It worked, she subdued him until the cops got there.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I admit to not always wearing pants at home...
    But I do keep my doors locked (dead bolts on all entry doors) and having a pistol by my side when not dressed.

Top Bottom