• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • polysom01

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2014
    Porter County
    I'm flying out of O'Hare in October, and want to take my pistol with me. I know about having to declare my firearm etc. The question is, am I going to be arrested, since Illinois doesn't recognize our states LTCH? I know I can legally carry in my vehicle, but what happens when I go from the vehicle to the terminal? It will be in my luggage, in a lockbox. Anybody run into this delimma? I've searched online, but nothing about this situation. Don't really want to change my flight to leave out of Indianapolis. Any help would be great.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ammo out of the gun, gun in a lockbox, you should be OK, if you are allowed to have the firearm at your destination. You are traveling interstate, and can lawfully possess the firearm here, so that's the only other required bit. FOPA, signed by Pres. Reagan, is supposed to protect you on a trip like this. The stop in IL is incidental to the trip, but the trip starts when you leave your home. Legally, you can carry up to the state line. IL allows it in your vehicle, but they could, conceivably, get you when you exit the car, unless it's already in the lockbox and empty.

Standard disclaimers apply: IANAL, IDPOOTV, IDSIAHIELN, TINLA.
    Additional disclaimer applies as well: I can't predict what police and airport staff WILL do, I can only tell you what the law says they're supposed to do.

Good luck and as always,

Blessings,
    Bill

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Just make sure it is unloaded and in your case before you exit your vehicle and there is no problem I can see. Jim.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You should be fine. Chicago is not like NY. As stated, do not get out of the car with it loaded. Since you are flying, you are probably best served to have it packed in the suitcase it will fly in.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I learned a long time ago that life is too short to fly through Chicago.

This. I have had more significantly delayed flights, and canceled flights in Chicago then all other airports combined. Most recent one was United Flight 3447 Chicago to Louisville last Thursday evening. Cancelled due to crew availability. What? Were they surprised by the need for a flight crew for a regularly scheduled flight? Instead of being home by 9pm I was driving a rental Kia across the damn state and didn't get home until 2am. I was exhausted for my meeting the next morning.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I find it best to notify the airport right away, just yell, "I HAVE A GUN!" as soon as you walk in the airport and the security staff will be with you shortly.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I've flown out of and into Midway 4-5 times with 4 handguns. It went really smoothly. Just follow airline/TSA regs and you'll be ok. It's legal to transport firearms in Illinois and Chicago as long as they're unloaded and encased (not talking about vehicle carry with LTCH) so since you need to have them this way for transport through the airline anyways, you're good to go.

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I've flown out of and into Midway 4-5 times with 4 handguns. It went really smoothly. Just follow airline/TSA regs and you'll be ok. It's legal to transport firearms in Illinois and Chicago as long as they're unloaded and encased (not talking about vehicle carry with LTCH) so since you need to have them this way for transport through the airline anyways, you're good to go.

This. I've flown out/into O'Hare 2x this year and 1x out of Midway. No problems.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Yeah, folks get pretty excitable about flying out of IL with a gun. Your main concern should be not breaking the fed/TSA rules for transporting it, and not breaking rules at your destination. Secure it in your luggage in the manner it's allowed to be transported via aircraft before you leave the house.

The only weird thing I've ever done was toss my work phone in my luggage with it. Since it's a smart phone and I have tracking software on it, I figure if my bag ends up at the wrong airport, is otherwise lost, or accidentally picked up by another traveler, it'll be easier to sort out. If you can't do that, I still wouldn't worry. It's just not anywhere near as big a deal as folks like to make it.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I like to ship my "Machining Parts" out ahead of me to my destination.
    This only works if I'm visiting friends or family though.

People say it's easier to fly with a gun now days but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Hint - If you have friends or family that are willing to let you borrow a gun while you're visiting, then no need to bring anything but your holster. :):

Can't wait for gun rental stores or gun vending machines.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Dead Duck said "I like to ship my "Machining Parts" out ahead of me to my destination."

Handguns can only be shipped USPS by an 01FFL. Anyone can ship handguns by UPS or Fed-X but according to federal law must be declared as firearms. The bad part of this is UPS and Fed-X require firearms to be shipped "overnite air." This is not by law but company policy of each because of less time for their employees to steal while in their system. Of course then there is the associated charges for "overnite." Last time I did this was a handgun going from Illinois to Taurus in Florida ten years ago and UPS hit me for about $60.
    Anyone that ships a handgun without declaring it as a firearm can save a fair amount of money and 99.9% of the time everything will be fine. But if something would happen; package stolen or damaged and firearm exposed the sender will be in deep stuff. Jim.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Dead Duck said "I like to ship my "Machining Parts" out ahead of me to my destination."

Handguns can only be shipped USPS by an 01FFL. Anyone can ship handguns by UPS or Fed-X but according to federal law must be declared as firearms. The bad part of this is UPS and Fed-X require firearms to be shipped "overnite air." This is not by law but company policy of each because of less time for their employees to steal while in their system. Of course then there is the associated charges for "overnite." Last time I did this was a handgun going from Illinois to Taurus in Florida ten years ago and UPS hit me for about $60.
    Anyone that ships a handgun without declaring it as a firearm can save a fair amount of money and 99.9% of the time everything will be fine. But if something would happen; package stolen or damaged and firearm exposed the sender will be in deep stuff. Jim.

Interesting when I sent my Glock 42 back to Glock for an update, they sent me an FedEx prepaid overnight label, but when it came back via FedEx is was sent two day and they also allowed me to redirected it to a Kinkos for pickup since I wasn't gonna be home all day and it needed a signature.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Yeah, folks get pretty excitable about flying out of IL with a gun. Your main concern should be not breaking the fed/TSA rules for transporting it, and not breaking rules at your destination. Secure it in your luggage in the manner it's allowed to be transported via aircraft before you leave the house.

The only weird thing I've ever done was toss my work phone in my luggage with it. Since it's a smart phone and I have tracking software on it, I figure if my bag ends up at the wrong airport, is otherwise lost, or accidentally picked up by another traveler, it'll be easier to sort out. If you can't do that, I still wouldn't worry. It's just not anywhere near as big a deal as folks like to make it.

What a great idea. From now on my work phone will be with pistol in the luggage.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Unless these rules have changed....again-
    Without holding an FFL License, you can ship your gun to FFL Dealers, Gunsmiths, Manufacturers and I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

But you can ship your (broken down, stripped or loose) machining parts to anywhere you want to.
    If you don't think it's a good idea, then you shouldn't do it.
    If you think it's illegal, then you shouldn't do it.
    If you think it's against some rules somewhere, then you shouldn't do it.
    If you think someone will steal your package but you trust those fine upstanding airport luggage handlers more, then you shouldn't do it.

I've lived through the days where they would put giant gun stickers on the luggage that you claimed as a gun. Same with shippers stickers so anyone can see them from across the warehouse. Thieves just say they're insured and take them. Have the rules changed for the better or worse now days? I don't know. It changes so often.
    I can't keep up with it anymore. I just know what has worked for me. I'm tired of having my stuff being a guinea pig for some paper pushers rules.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Unless these rules have changed....again-
    Without holding an FFL License, you can ship your gun to FFL Dealers, Gunsmiths, Manufacturers and I'm sure I'm missing a couple.

But you can ship your (broken down, stripped or loose) machining parts to anywhere you want to.
    If you don't think it's a good idea, then you shouldn't do it.
    If you think it's illegal, then you shouldn't do it.
    If you think it's against some rules somewhere, then you shouldn't do it.
    If you think someone will steal your package but you trust those fine upstanding airport luggage handlers more, then you shouldn't do it.

I've lived through the days where they would put giant gun stickers on the luggage that you claimed as a gun. Same with shippers stickers so anyone can see them from across the warehouse. Thieves just say they're insured and take them. Have the rules changed for the better or worse now days? I don't know. It changes so often.
    I can't keep up with it anymore. I just know what has worked for me. I'm tired of having my stuff being a guinea pig for some paper pushers rules.

I get what you're saying. To answer only the bolded line, this is true for everything but the registered part (usually the frame). That part is considered a firearm even when it is broken down and unable to be fired. That part is considered a firearm even if the slide, mag, ammo, and trigger group are all packed in separate containers and shipped individually, elsewhere.

I realize this will not change your practice. Do what you will, with knowledge of the consequences if things go other than as you plan. I post this only for those who may not know.

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom