• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm looking for some open carry holster suggestions. I don't really open carry very often outside of my own property. I went in to the local Wal-marx this evening to grab a tarp and drop cloth.I'm worried about all the 5 year old girls I saw and my current set up. Any one of them could have taken it away from me due to the holsters I have. I recently went through my box of holsters and every single one of them besides my SERPA was designed primarily for concealed carry and none of them had any kind of retention. I don't really care for the SERPA because it sits far away from the body and feels like it flops around. What I carried in tonight was a White Hat hybrid. Love it but wish it was a bit more secure.

I mostly carry some form of a Glock, jeans or dockers usually with T-shirt or polo. I have a couple of the Wilderness Tactical belts with both the liner and without. 5'11" and 210. What I'm looking for is a comfortable holster that has some kind of retention and won't break the bank. What is everyone using?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Active retention, or Passive retention?

Doesn't really matter to me. I'll have to learn the system anyway since I have no retention holsters of any kind right now. I'm mainly looking for anything that secures the gun better than an open top hybrid. I'm not a huge fan of the old school leather thumb strap but they are not out of the question. The hybrids I have right now are so loose that if you bumped it wrong in the store with a shopping cart then it would be on the floor.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Doesn't really matter to me. I'll have to learn the system anyway since I have no retention holsters of any kind right now. I'm mainly looking for anything that secures the gun better than an open top hybrid. I'm not a huge fan of the old school leather thumb strap but they are not out of the question. The hybrids I have right now are so loose that if you bumped it wrong in the store with a shopping cart then it would be on the floor.

Im no expert, but it sounds like it's time for a new hybrid holster too, or at least reheated and reformed. My hybrids will just barely hold my loaded Glocks in while being held upside down.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Im no expert, but it sounds like it's time for a new hybrid holster too, or at least reheated and reformed. My hybrids will just barely hold my loaded Glocks in while being held upside down.

The holster is from White Hat is is about a year old. I've heated the kydex up and tried to tighten it but it doesn't help. If I put the gun in the holster and tip it, it slides out at about 45 degrees or less. I think I ordered the horse hide backing when I got it. It's very thin leather and slick.

ETA: It's the microtuck as well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    For perfect retention (which is subjective), just take the little allen wrench that comes with the holster and tighten down the retention screws 1/4 turn at a time until you get the desired retention. When you're finished, enjoy your Smarties.

Don't have an MTAC? Get one and then revisit the above.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I'm looking for some open carry holster suggestions. I don't really open carry very often outside of my own property. I went in to the local Wal-marx this evening to grab a tarp and drop cloth.I'm worried about all the 5 year old girls I saw and my current set up. Any one of them could have taken it away from me due to the holsters I have. I recently went through my box of holsters and every single one of them besides my SERPA was designed primarily for concealed carry and none of them had any kind of retention. I don't really care for the SERPA because it sits far away from the body and feels like it flops around. What I carried in tonight was a White Hat hybrid. Love it but wish it was a bit more secure.

I mostly carry some form of a Glock, jeans or dockers usually with T-shirt or polo. I have a couple of the Wilderness Tactical belts with both the liner and without. 5'11" and 210. What I'm looking for is a comfortable holster that has some kind of retention and won't break the bank. What is everyone using?

Take a look at MTR custom leather holsters. They are top notch. You don't need a thumb break with their custom leather holster, but I got one with the thumb break for OC and it is superb.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Take a look at MTR custom leather holsters. They are top notch. You don't need a thumb break with their custom leather holster, but I got one with the thumb break for OC and it is superb.

Those look nice. I'm leaning toward the Safariland ALS 6378 right now. I'll probably decide this weekend and order something on Monday.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A woman on north district was targeted for her OC handgun today. She had a simple forward cant Fobus and was able to feel the tug at her gun and trap it in the holster. Definitely not ideal, but the slight forward cant likely made the difference with the attacker being behind her. A full FBI cant would probably be even better.

If I were to OC, the ALS seems like a pretty good option. I don't like thumb straps, as I've found that it sometimes doesn't clear all the way, causing a drag and slowing my draw. I also don't care for the SERPA, as it can be clogged and locked closed.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    A woman on north district was targeted for her OC handgun today. She had a simple forward cant Fobus and was able to feel the tug at her gun and trap it in the holster. Definitely not ideal, but the slight forward cant likely made the difference with the attacker being behind her. A full FBI cant would probably be even better.

If I were to OC, the ALS seems like a pretty good option. I don't like thumb straps, as I've found that it sometimes doesn't clear all the way, causing a drag and slowing my draw. I also don't care for the SERPA, as it can be clogged and locked closed.

I've heard about the jamming on the SERPA, not super common but it happens. My main complaint about the SERPA is it doesn't fit very tight to the body and feels like it flops around. I've smacked it on things around the farm pretty often, that's why I don't use it anymore.

I know gun grabs aren't supper common either, but as you mentioned they do happen. ALS has been ordered.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I open carry with a Raven and it's really comfortable, but it doesn't have any real retention feature which the OP is looking for.

Ravens and similar kydex holsters have "passive" retention, like I mentioned above. ie: the holster is designed so the gun "clicks" in and is held securely. I have a Hooch holster(similar to the Raven), and I can hold my holster upside and it retains my weapon..

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I am very pleased with our Cuda by Simply Rugged. We have 2 for the M&Ps and are ordering another for the 92fs. Their belts are a nice addition as well and do a good job of handling the weight.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom