Moving out of state, what becomes my lifetime licence?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frostymonk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2013
    I’m retired and thinking of moving south, Georgia or Florida. What will happen to my Lifetime resident license? Can it be altered to non resident status, or do I loose it?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    When you move, contact ISP and give them your new (out of state) address. Your license becomes "inactive" but doesnt go away.

If you ever move back, submit a new (Indiana) address and your license is active again! (you'll have to pay to have a new permit printed)

The good thing is Indiana honors quite a few other permits, so odds are the resident permit you get after you move will cover you when you come back to visit.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    You loose it

When you move, contact ISP and give them your new (out of state) address. Your license becomes "inactive" but doesnt go away.

^^ This. ^^
    Cite please. I can't find anything in the IC or IAC that says that. Can you?
    But here are some other threads to check out.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/321226-lifetime-ltch-moving-out-state.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fense/351613-carry-permit-legal-question.html

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Cite please. I can't find anything in the IC or IAC that says that. Can you?
    But here are some other threads to check out.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...se/321226-lifetime-ltch-moving-out-state.html
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...fense/351613-carry-permit-legal-question.html

This.

Nothing happens to it other than you have to change the address. It remains valid in Indiana as well as any states that recognize Indiana's LTCH as long as they don't require you to be a resident of the state where your license was issued.

It does not go dormant, it does not go "in the ice box", I'd does not get deactivated.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Nothing happens to it other than you have to change the address. It remains valid in Indiana as well as any states that recognize Indiana's LTCH as long as they don't require you to be a resident of the state where your license was issued.

One caveat, it may not be valid in your new state of residence. Some states even though they honor other states permits require a resident to have that states license. IN is one for instance, we honor all state and foreign country permit/licenses as long as you are not a resident of IN.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I’m retired and thinking of moving south, Georgia or Florida. What will happen to my Lifetime resident license? Can it be altered to non resident status, or do I loose it?​

Update your address to:

123 Ballotchad Way
    Alligator Alley, Florida

or

321 Banjo Way
    Brownjug, Joejuh

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    What on earth are you all doing , GUESSING?

You cannot have a VALID IN ltch as a non resident UNLESS you work full time in IN. I was a resident of IL up until spring of last year and had a VALID IN non-resident ltch and a IL drivers license to go along with it. Indiana State Police required me to have my manager sign a paper that stated I worked full time in IN at my place of employment. The address on my LTCH was my place of employment in IN.
    This is my actual experience....not a guess.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    The address on my LTCH was my place of employment in IN. This is my actual experience....not a guess.
    That was your experience to GET the LTCH, once you have the LIFETIME Indiana LTCH, you have it for a LIFETIME. The only exception is if you commit a felony or other crime that makes you not able to own a firearm. That isn't a guess, that's the facts. Weather other states consider it a non resident license and honor it, that is another question. I would change my address as required, and also get a FL license since Florida will only honor an out of state license for 90 days after you become a FL resident. Keep the IN LTCH, it is still good. I'm in the same situation conisdering a FL residence, and will follow that process.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

You cannot have a VALID IN ltch as a non resident UNLESS you work full time in IN. I was a resident of IL up until spring of last year and had a VALID IN non-resident ltch and a IL drivers license to go along with it. Indiana State Police required me to have my manager sign a paper that stated I worked full time in IN at my place of employment. The address on my LTCH was my place of employment in IN.
    This is my actual experience....not a guess.

The Indiana code only states that licenses will not be ISSUED without a residence or place of business in Indiana. It makes no comment on maintaining residency or place of business after the LTCH is issued. The code is also very specific about the criteria for revoking a license. Moving out of state is not one of these criteria.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The Indiana code only states that licenses will not be ISSUED without a residence or place of business in Indiana. It makes no comment on maintaining residency or place of business after the LTCH is issued. The code is also very specific about the criteria for revoking a license. Moving out of state is not one of these criteria.
    I never stated the license would get revoked. But I am stating that it is NOT valid once the holder changes residency to another state or is NOT working full time in IN while a resident of another state. The OP asked if it could be converted to a non-resident...which the answer is no since the OP did not mention that they were going to be employed full time in IN and the OP also asked if ltch would "lost".... Not lost but totally useless unless the OP returned to IN as a resident or full time employee/employer later in life.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    But I am stating that it is NOT valid once the holder changes residency to another state or is NOT working full time in IN while a resident of another state.

Show me where it says that in the code. You won't find it because it doesn't exist.

Here's all the Indiana code says about when a LTCH becomes "NOT valid":

A lifetime license is
    valid for the life of the individual receiving the license.

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I never stated the license would get revoked. But I am stating that it is NOT valid once the holder changes residency to another state or is NOT working full time in IN while a resident of another state. The OP asked if it could be converted to a non-resident...which the answer is no since the OP did not mention that they were going to be employed full time in IN and the OP also asked if ltch would "lost".... Not lost but totally useless unless the OP returned to IN as a resident or full time employee/employer later in life.

Are you guessing?:lmfao:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Are you guessing?:lmfao:

Well, he is just not on the same frequency as the OP.

I have to e-mail Pete Wood about some other stuff Saturday AM. I'm using this to remind me to see if he cannot include this on the ISP website.

Update your license with the new address, move, your license is in the freezer until you come back to visit or move back, no big deal.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Your apples are not his oranges.

new-apple-orange-small.jpg

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Nope, no guessing. Going by the IC and IAC along with info provided by the ISP. The info provided by the ISP is in the thread I linked above along with some of the info from the IC and IAC. I'll provide the relevant IC here.
    IC 35-47-2-5
    Suspension or revocation of license; failure to return license; rules
    concerning procedure for suspending or revoking license
    Sec. 5. (a) The superintendent may suspend or revoke any license
    issued under this chapter if the superintendent has reasonable grounds
    to believe that the person's license should be suspended or revoked.
    (b) Documented evidence that a person is not a "proper person" to
    be licensed as defined by IC 35-47-1-7, or is prohibited under section
    3(g)(5) of this chapter from being issued a license, shall be grounds
    for immediate suspension or revocation of a license previously issued
    under this chapter. However, if a license is suspended or revoked
    based solely on an arrest under section 3(g)(5) of this chapter, the
    license shall be reinstated upon the acquittal of the defendant in that
    case or upon the dismissal of the charges for the specific offense.
    (c) A person who knowingly or intentionally fails to promptly
    return the person's license after written notice of suspension or
    revocation commits a Class A misdemeanor. The observation of a
    handgun license in the possession of a person whose license has been
    suspended or revoked constitutes a sufficient basis for the arrest of
    that person for violation of this subsection.
    (d) The superintendent shall establish rules under IC 4-22-2
    concerning the procedure for suspending or revoking a person's
    license.
    IC 35-47-1-7
    "Proper person"
    Sec. 7. "Proper person" means a person who:
    (1) does not have a conviction for resisting law enforcement
    under IC 35-44.1-3-1 within five (5) years before the person
    applies for a license or permit under this chapter;
    (2) does not have a conviction for a crime for which the person
    could have been sentenced for more than one (1) year;
    (3) does not have a conviction for a crime of domestic violence
    (as defined in IC 35-31.5-2-78), unless a court has restored the
    person's right to possess a firearm under IC 35-47-4-7;
    (4) is not prohibited by a court order from possessing a
    handgun;
    (5) does not have a record of being an alcohol or drug abuser as
    defined in this chapter;
    (6) does not have documented evidence which would give rise
    to a reasonable belief that the person has a propensity for violent
    or emotionally unstable conduct;
    (7) does not make a false statement of material fact on the
    person's application;
    (8) does not have a conviction for any crime involving an
    inability to safely handle a handgun;
    (9) does not have a conviction for violation of the provisions of
    this article within five (5) years of the person's application;
    (10) does not have an adjudication as a delinquent child for an
    act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the
    person applying for a license or permit under this chapter is less
    than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (11) has not been involuntarily committed, other than a
    temporary commitment for observation or evaluation, to a
    mental institution by a court, board, commission, or other lawful
    authority;
    (12) has not been the subject of a:
    (A) ninety (90) day commitment as a result of proceeding
    under IC 12-26-6; or
    (B) regular commitment under IC 12-26-7; or
    (13) has not been found by a court to be mentally incompetent,
    including being found:
    (A) not guilty by reason of insanity;
    (B) guilty but mentally ill; or
    (C) incompetent to stand trial.
    240 IAC 3-2-1 Temporary suspension; notice; hearing
    Authority: IC 10-11-2-10
    Affected: IC 35-47-2-3; IC 35-47-2-4
    Sec. 1. SUSPENSION–TEMPORARY. (1) The Superintendent will temporarily suspend a firearm license upon the written
    request of a local police department, sheriff's department, prosecutor or full time police officer, without prior hearing.
    (2) The request for suspension must state reasonable grounds for such suspension.
    (3) Upon suspension, the licensee will be given notice of right to immediate hearing and grounds for the suspension.
    (4) An authority requesting suspension must appear and prove the grounds for permanent revocation of the license.
    (5) Failure of the requesting authority to appear at the hearing may cause reinstatement of license to licensee.

Yep, but we back ours up with cites.

Top Bottom