Peruta Wins: 9C. agrees that the 2A protects a right to be armed beyond the home

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/02/13/ninth-circuit-strikes-californias-restrictive-rule-against-licensed-carry-of-handguns/?tid=hpModule_ba0d4c2a-86a2-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394

Ninth Circuit holds Second Amendment secures a right to carry a gun

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/02/13/huge-win-for-gun-owners-in-california/

http://www.ca9.uscourts.gov/content/view.php?pk_id=0000000722

The 9th Circuit joins with the 7th Circuit in upholding this right, diverging from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Circuits. Hello, Supremes! Do you hear us knocking?

Once California's state legislature passed their repeal of unloaded, unlicensed open carry, San Diego's may issue regime for concealed carry licensure became unconstitutional.

Tell me again how OCing only leads to worsening of gun control regimes, never loosening.

"Yeah, CA law ALLOWS OCing, but no one should do it because then they'll just make it illegal again."

*pttttui!* I spit on those arguments!

Last edited:

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2014/02/13/ninth-circuit-strikes-californias-restrictive-rule-against-licensed-carry-of-handguns/?tid=hpModule_ba0d4c2a-86a2-11e2-9d71-f0feafdd1394

Ninth Circuit holds Second Amendment secures a right to carry a gun

Federal Court Just Dealt a Major Blow to Anti-Gun Advocates in California | TheBlaze.com

EDWARD PERUTA V. COUNTY OF SAN DIEGO, 10-56971

The 9th Circuit joins with the 7th Circuit in upholding this right, diverging from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Circuits. Hello, Supremes! Do you hear us knocking?

Once California's state legislature passed their repeal of unloaded, unlicensed open carry, San Diego's may issue regime for concealed carry licensure became unconstitutional.

Tell me again how OCing only leads to worsening of gun control regimes, never loosening.

"Yeah, CA law ALLOWS OCing, but no one should do it because then they'll just make it illegal again."

*pttttui!* I spit on those arguments!

x10000!

Edit: I especially liked this part,"An act needn't amount to a complete destruction of the right to be forbidden by the explicit language of the constitution, since any statute that diminished or impaired the right as it existed when the constitution was formed would also be void."

WOW!!:D

Actually, the rest of that paragraph is AMAZING.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The Court has already stated in dicta that there are "secured areas" where carrying a handgun can be restricted (a la time, manner, place restrictions of the First Amendment). Thus, if there are "secure areas" outside one's home then there are a whole bunch of non-secure areas outside one's home where carrying a handgun is a right.

If carrying a gun is a fundamental right, then only strict scrutiny would apply. California's or Maryland (as in Woollard) will not survive s.s. review.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    San Diego has said that they will appeal for an en banc hearing of the case. Do you think they will get it, and what are the chances that the full 9th Circuit upholds the panel ruling?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    "The majority of peace officers killed in the line of duty are killed by guns," Mayer said. "If you have a domestic violence incident and a gun is available, it's more likely to be used. ... It increases the harm to law enforcement and to the public."
    So. Much. Fail.

Last time I checked, weren't most LEOs who are killed on the job killed with cars, not guns?

The issue at controversy here is the carrying of guns outside of the home. Domestic violence, as the name implies, tends to happen in the home, where the issue of the possession of firearms is a settled question. This judgement doesn't affect that issue one iota.

I find it funny that this Liberal apologist thinks more firearms on the streets "increases harm to […] the public", when we know that a disarmed public is harmed more than an armed public.

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    So. Much. Fail.

Last time I checked, weren't most LEOs who are killed on the job killed with cars, not guns?

The issue at controversy here is the carrying of guns outside of the home. Domestic violence, as the name implies, tends to happen in the home, where the issue of the possession of firearms is a settled question. .

Sometimes they dont see the forest for the trees. Great point Cath

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I read 50 pages of the opinion last night. While I think this is a step in the right direction, I wasn't thrilled with all of it. Particularly where they state that "arms" can be regulated based on the history that they've been regulated in the past, since we can't let the citizens carry scary arms. I'll have to find the specific sections later, as I was primarily interested in reading as much as possible last night.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So states cannot ban both Conceal and Open carry, must allow at least one of them.

Do states still have the authority to punish "printing" in CC-only states? Would seem discriminatory... since it's only really based on the "fear" they perceive people to have.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    So the San Diego sheriff chose to NOT seek an en banc review. This seems good. But we've seen legal wrangling before, and is this part of a strategy to try to keep this away from SCOTUS?

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    Except that 2A has that whole "shall not be infringed" thing
    You missed the discussion about inexistence of absolute right. The first Amendment says that the freedom of speech shall not be abridged, yet how come people can be prosecuted for libel, slander, and terroristic threats?

Top Bottom