IN LTCH still valid if I moved out of state?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j_kinder

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Hello,

I obtained my IN LTCH while I was an Indiana resident. I recently moved to OH for graduate school, and I sent in the address update form for my LTCH with my current OH address. I have not yet taken all of the classes and BS needed to get carry in OH, but what I am wondering is whether I can still legally carry when I am back in IN, or if IN LTCH is only valid for IN residents?

Thanks!

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Where is your legal residence? Many college students continue to claim their parents' home as their legal residence. Are you paying out-of-state tuition or have you established residency in Ohio? For college students, I suspect that legal residence is a more important matter than where your head hits the pillow during the school year.

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I had contemplated a move out of state but my domicile would still be Indiana as I wasn't going to sell my house. Even though I would have been a legal resident of a different state I was told by ISP that all I needed to do was change the address on the LTCH to match my out-of-state ID and my LTCH would be valid whenever I was back in Indiana. The key here is that I was still a legal resident as far as being domiciled in Indiana even though I was residing out of the state.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I had contemplated a move out of state but my domicile would still be Indiana as I wasn't going to sell my house. Even though I would have been a legal resident of a different state I was told by ISP that all I needed to do was change the address on the LTCH to match my out-of-state ID and my LTCH would be valid whenever I was back in Indiana. The key here is that I was still a legal resident as far as being domiciled in Indiana even though I was residing out of the state.

That doesn't sound right... if you're a legal resident of another state you aren't a legal resident of IN AFAIK. You have to claim one or the other... If you are claiming residency in another state you unfortunately give up the IN LTCH because you are no longer a resident of IN (even if you still own a home in IN). If, OTOH, your address in the other state is only temporary and you maintain your permanent address/residency in IN, you keep the LTCH, but DON'T change your drivers license info, you permanent address is still your IN address...

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    That doesn't sound right... if you're a legal resident of another state you aren't a legal resident of IN AFAIK. You have to claim one or the other... If you are claiming residency in another state you unfortunately give up the IN LTCH because you are no longer a resident of IN (even if you still own a home in IN). If, OTOH, your address in the other state is only temporary and you maintain your permanent address/residency in IN, you keep the LTCH, but DON'T change your drivers license info, you permanent address is still your IN address...
    The key to the whole thing was that my legal domicile would remain in Indiana even though I would be a resident of another state. I was quite clear with the ISP when I spoke to them and they were very specific in their response. As I said, it has to due with the difference between domicile and residence. I don't know if I would have been able to renew the LTCH or not but, at least as it was explained to me by the ISP, it would be valid whenever I was back in the state as I still had a home here and paid Indiana taxes.

I suppose it's also quite possible that the individual I spoke with at the ISP didn't know what they were talking about.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Yeah but... if you live in an adjoining state and work full time in IN, you can have a non-resident LTCH. I've argued this with guys I work with who live in OH, that it is not a "CCW" but a "LTCH" and they don't need to conceal. He won't listen.

Top Bottom