Not open for further replies.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nice and fresh incident, about 10 min ago.

I walk into Subway on 86th st. Two ISP officers were eating. One nodded at me and said "Do you have your permit?"

I said I didn't have it on me, but I am licensed. The other said "You have to have your permit to carry."

The first one told me to raise my hands as he got up. He unholstered and removed my magazine. I sat down at the next booth as they talked to me.

Place was full of people, everyone staring. He asked for my ID so he could see if they could run in and check if I'm licensed. They got on the radio.

During this time, the officer on the radio asked me if I've taken any classes. I said I have not, as it isn't required in IN. He said "Does that make you proud? Carrying this around like that? Are you proud of that?"

Radio got back and verified I was licensed, but showed my DL was suspended (BMV f*ckup, not mine). Officer said "Did you drive here?" I said yes. He said "How are you leaving here?" I laughed a bit, and said I'm not. He said to find another ride, and gave me the gun, magazine, and chamber round back. He said if I don't, I'll have two troopers on me, they don't have anything else to do for the next couple hours. Said he could take me to jail for not having my LTCH, and that's how they prove the good guys from the bad, etc.

The officer on the radio "Let us handle the safety of this place."

I left, very shaky and embarassed. As I was on the phone, they walked out and left. Another customer that was there pulled his truck up and offered me a ride to work. The officers kept my license.

The guy that drove me back to work saw it, and said he OC's as well. Gave me a card of a firearms lawyer he works with. Very cool guy, very helpful. Said he hates seeing cops harass people about carrying.

Now I'm at work.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Huh... I would recommend carrying your LTCH with you from now on if you are going to carry a sidearm, especially open carry.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    According to IC, you do not have to have your license to carry on you, but you DO have to be licensed. Had you had it, you could've handed it to them and told them to **** off and drove yourself ;)

If you were not doing anything wrong, don't think they're supposed to disarm you, especially in a room full of people. Call and talk to someone, because LEO's never have ND's.

Let me google that for you

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Wait. So you knew you were driving on an expired DL?

Not expired, according to him, it was suspended.

Also, meh....They were being dick's, but you did yourself no favors by having a suspended license today. Regardless of who is at fault for that. Get that **** taken care of. Imagine how much of a dick they would have been if they pulled you over driving instead of saw you at Subway.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    According to IC, you do not have to have your license to carry on you, but you DO have to be licensed. Had you had it, you could've handed it to them and told them to **** off and drove yourself ;)

If you were not doing anything wrong, don't think they're supposed to disarm you, especially in a room full of people. Call and talk to someone, because LEO's never have ND's.

Yeah. I actually mentioned that, politely... and he said "Are you trying to tell "the law", the law?"

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

or Navy Seals. Though I'd imagine that private citizens owning guns have significantly more ND, than members of LE.

(Kut stirs the pot and runs away, lol) :laugh:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I'm not trying to stir the pot, and may be a little slow today, but what law/rule did the ISP troopers violate???

Just wondering why the call to the supervisor?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I will not resist.
    But I do not consent to a search and seizure, violating my 4th amendment rights.

Granted, without the LTCH, you can't immediately prove you have a license. And unlicensed carry is illegal in IN. Till they get on the horn and verify, which is after the fact.

Basically, carry LTCH.
    Do not consent to search and seizure.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm not trying to stir the pot, and may be a little slow today, but what law/rule did the ISP troopers violate???

Opportunity to educate and ensure they follow their rules rather than make them up as they go as IME....

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Well, lesson learned. How can you take the time to strap on your gun and not confirm that you have your license with you? Had you had it with you the problem would most likely have been solved very quickly. The issue of a suspended DL becomes another issue entirely. You put yourself into the situation of presenting your DL when you chose not to carry your LTCH. The officers did their job at that point in my opinion by seeing that you did not drive on a suspended license. I'm sure their DL check did not mention that your suspension was a BMV screw up. The comments you say they made were however uncalled for and their misunderstanding of the actual law of having your LTCH on your person is worthy of a follow up with their supervisor.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington

Unholstering and unloading someone else's sidearm in a room full of people that said officer is unfamiliar with, when the person is cooperative and not acting afool.

The guy gave ID. They could've merely stated "don't touch it" and all would've been well.

Someone was obviously on a power trip.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Always have your LTCH on your just like your DL. I'd rather forget my keys to the house than my wallet with my LTCH.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom