• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I am one of the last seven people who has not yet jumped to a smart phone. You can spot us as we are the only ones not staring at our laps in meetings, restaurants, etc.

My GF has the Galaxy S3 (?), it's her second Galaxy phone, and loves it. I am close but like NOT being able to google every question that pops into my head

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Mine is an upgrade from an S2, which I also liked, but the S4 is way better. I understand that it's not a big leap from the S3, though.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Glad to hear that. I just ordered mine yesterday. I'm not one who upgrades gadgets a lot, but I'm switching providers. I feel a little better about my purchase now- it was hard to "pull the trigger". :)

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Had mine preordered from Sprint. Rooted soon after. Great device and perfect size. Thought it might be too big for pocket carry, but it's slim and light. Also use a Spiegen Slim Armor case.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    We just got the S3s and love them. For some reason my battery only lasts 1/2 a day, but my wife's lasts all day and into the night. Does anyone know why this is so? We both have the battery saver indicators checked.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I think my GF said the S4 had less memory in fact? Either way, I know I will fall into the smartphone pit someday

They're 16GB, but you can put a 32GB micro SD card in it. However, since you can't really move apps to the SD card, the space might be tight for you. Unless you use your phone to play a lot of games which require hi-def graphics, it shouldn't really be an issue. I put my movies and music on the SD card and I've never had a problem (with my S2, and presumably with my new S4). IIRC, a 32GB version is on the way but not available yet.

Que, if your battery is not lasting very long, check to see what apps you have running compared to your wife's. Things like having WiFi enabled when not connected to a WiFi network (same as with Bluetooth), having your screen brightness turned all the way up, using a lot of apps that require the radio (a lot of web browsing, streaming audio/video, and so forth), etc. Also, if you have any background apps running that may be resource-intensive. You may just use yours a lot more. Lastly, you may just have a worn-out battery.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Had mine preordered from Sprint. Rooted soon after. Great device and perfect size. Thought it might be too big for pocket carry, but it's slim and light. Also use a Spiegen Slim Armor case.

My S2 was rooted and ROM'ed almost from Day 1. I haven't had a need to do so on my S4 yet, although I may just to get tethering working. ;)

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    We just got the S3s and love them. For some reason my battery only lasts 1/2 a day, but my wife's lasts all day and into the night. Does anyone know why this is so? We both have the battery saver indicators checked.

Many factors influence battery life. If you are in an area with a poor signal, the phone uses more power. Is it possible you are using your phone more than she does?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That and Adaway are the main reasons for me.

The tethering is a nice-to-have, but to be honest, I just don't need it that often. I'm usually close enough to some sort of WiFi that I can just jump on that if I need to do some remote work. One big improvement for me is the LTE. My S2 only had 4G, not 4GLTE, which wasn't available in Indianapolis so I was stuck using crappy 3G. The only time my S2 screamed was when I was in Chicago. Now that Sprint is finally building out their LTE network in Indy, moving to the S4 makes a lot more sense for me.

I know that AT&T has had it for awhile, but I cannot stand dealing with them. When you have to buy phones and plans for the whole family, AT&T is just way too expensive.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    +1 I love this phone. 13 Megapixel camera? I know it's not all about the resolution, but this thing takes incredible pictures with zero skill.

Check out GSAM battery app on the market. It will show you exactly what is eating up your battery.

My S2 was rooted and ROM'ed almost from Day 1. I haven't had a need to do so on my S4 yet, although I may just to get tethering working. ;)

Rooting was REALLY easy. I haven't unlocked the bootloader yet or messed with custom roms. I usually do, but I love touchwiz so far. Especially the camera app. Not feeling very motivated to flash CM10.1 quite yet, it runs so smooth as-is. I did use titanium backup to freeze a lot of the bloatware.

I know that AT&T has had it for awhile, but I cannot stand dealing with them. When you have to buy phones and plans for the whole family, AT&T is just way too expensive.

I've made fighting with AT&T into an art form. Call and talk to customer retention and complain. Tell them you're cancelling, even go so far as to begin the cancellation process. They chopped $40 off my monthly bill last time, they'll credit upgrade fees usually, etc. Right now I'm fighting for a $100 credit as a price match for the s4 purchase. I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It says my Screen is using 73%, but it's on the automatic setting and is already dim. It says it has 84% discharging on the battery and there is 1h 54m 52s remaining. That is nothing! I turned in the first phone when I told the company what was happening, but this one is doing the same thing.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Wife and I just upgraded a few months ago. I went with the S3 and she got the NOTE II. We are both happy. Her note is a little big for me but it is really nice. You can wave your hand over it and the home screen will appear with the time/date and any info you want, then disappear. Cool.

Glad you're happy.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    It says my Screen is using 73%, but it's on the automatic setting and is already dim. It says it has 84% discharging on the battery and there is 1h 54m 52s remaining. That is nothing! I turned in the first phone when I told the company what was happening, but this one is doing the same thing.

Sorry to hear your having so much trouble with yours. Mine lasts nearly all day depending on my usage. Do you have wifi turned on all the time? I'm not sure how true it is but i have been told that unless you turn off your wifi the phone will constantly search for a connection and that can kill your battery.

This message also posted from my GS3.

Top Bottom