My Experience Buying a Hornady LNL Press -- Was it the right decision? (Pic Heav

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Introduction

Recently, an older thread I authored resurfaced on INGO. It described my first 18 months reloading.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ing-started-reloading-my-first-18-months.html

Some members asked if I had an update and that go me to thinking about my decision to buy a progressive press. I thought I would share my thought process as I went into the decision and then discuss various improvements and issues that I faced. Would I make a different decision if I had it to do all over again? Read on.

This is my press (there are others like it, but this one is mine......)

2e6bgx1.jpg

Disclaimer

I'm not here to incite a riot or question your parentage. I find that reloading has its loyalty cliques much like the Ford versus Chevy fans. What I'm relating is my experience and my opinions. I have as much right to be wrong as you do, so please don't get angry. Can't we all just get along.......:)

A Bit of History

I started reloading on a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker press in October 2010. I built a bench and installed it in our house.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ding/116529-built-my-own-reloading-bench.html

I bought the LNL press in August of 2012. My main interest was to use it to produce the higher-use calibers, specifically 9mm and .223. I like to do load development for rifles, but that loading is done exclusively on the Rock Chucker.

To date, I've made 10, 274 rounds on the single stage press and 8, 138 on the LNL progressive.

9gd5yb.jpg

Why Did I Buy the LNL Press?

I compared the Horndany LNL with the Dillon 650 and 550 models. Not a surprise to those who know me, I had a spreadsheet to help me keep all the information organized.

A key attribute I liked in the LNL was their innovative half turn feature of the shellplate. This was promoted as keeping the shellplate acceleration less thereby yielding less powder spillage.

Both the LNL and Dillon 650 had five stations which I liked. With five stations I could have a powder check station and still have space for a factory crimp die.

The basic Dillon 650 versus the LNL with equal features was $224 more.

I did end up getting a case feeder, but it wasn't a part of the original decision process.

10x7xfq.jpg

Modifications/Improvements Made to the Press

Raising the Press

My reloading bench is a stand-up bench. Yet once I placed the LNL on it, the handle was too low.

Rather than buy a metal frame to lift it up, I laminated several layers of plywood that was left over from building the bench. After gluing, final cutting, sanding, and varnishing; I mounted the press by running long 1/2" bolts through the stack and the bench. It's very sturdy.

2drara0.jpg

Stop Block

The simplest and cheapest improvement was to make a small piece of wood that when inserted between the case feeder pivot assembly and the support arm stops any more cases from feeding. It's a very helpful way to stop and clear the shellplate area. Insert the wood block and cycle the press until the last case is done. A piece of dowel rod would work well. (This idea came from the LNL owner's manual.)

105d26s.jpg

21o8xf4.jpg

Roller Handle

The press came with a straight handle with a ball on the end. Not bad, but once I decided to get the case feeder, I wanted a roller handle so I wouldn't have to reposition my hand as I cycled the press.

I found a great aftermarket site for reloading presses. They have a variety of handles, lifts, ammo catch boxes, lights, etc. for all major brands of presses.

Inline Fabrication - Inline Fabrication

Initially I tried their Ergo Handle. It didn't work for me and the bench. In the neutral position, it placed the handle too far away from me.

Dan, the owner, worked out a simple swap for me to get their standard roller handle. It was just right!

2prd06w.jpg

Gooseneck Light

I found a sleek light on a weighted base helps me see the powder in the cases as an additional check to avoid an empty round. I think I bought it at Target or Walmart. I can't remember.

A side note: Inlinefabricators.com has some very nifty LED lights that stick on the supports of the press and light up the shellplate.

etv5w6.jpg

Low Primer Alarm

This is another accessory I purchased from Inlinefabrication.com. He doesn't build these himself.
    Note the Hornady red paint covering the Dillon brand!

330v49t.jpg

14l1qvo.jpg

Small Loop on the Primer Shuttle Spring

This next modification was something I read while researching the LNL. I thought it was a clever low-tech improvement.

Whenever you work around the primer shuttle, you have to take the shuttle return spring off the shuttle assemble. Needlenose pliers would be one way to do that.

I added a small loop to the primer return shuttle to make it easier to take the spring loop off the shuttle. It also makes if very quick and easy to put the spring back on.

14bkv0h.jpg

Issues with the Press

The following comments highlight some trouble areas I've had with the LNL press. Some issues have been fixed, some have been lessened, and some continue unchanged.

Cracked Holder for the Cam Feed Rod

The cam feed rod is held in place at the top by a plastic tab. In my early experiences with the LNL press, I had problems with the primer shuttle getting dirty and not moving properly. Several times this caused the cam rod to be stressed. Soon, the plastic holder started to crack allowing it to move upward slightly. This let the bottom of the rod pop out.

I made an aluminum tab to reinforce the plastic piece that holds the primer shuttle rod in place. It holds the tab down as it should. Haven't had any issues after this fix.

2lid9qt.jpg

Problems with the Primer Shuttle

As mentioned above, bits of powder, dirt, and shavings would get in the track and prevent the shuttle from moving completely into position thus leaving the primer slightly short of where it should be. This caused priming to be stiff and in some cases would stop the shellplate from incrementing.

The only solution I came up with was to be aware of this and occasionally blow out the cavity with canned air.

2zzhxn7.jpg

14t1st0.jpg

126bigl.jpg

Broken Primer Shuttle

The rod that is press fit in the side of the shuttle that holds the roller that rides along the actuation arm fell out. Hornady replaced it at no charge. It was stressed by the jamming issues already discussed.

nxuryf.jpg

Case Feeder Back-Ups

The case feeder will occasionally back up at the top of the drop tube, in the feed funnel. A case will go sideways in the throat of the funnel and the other cases will fill the funnel. Nine millimeter cases do this more often than .223, but as the photo shows, .223 can jam up. Overall, the casefeeder has been very reliable

2zjl0xs.jpg

2j3gys1.jpg

Cases Tilting Going Into the Shellplate

This is an ongoing and unresolved issue. Way too often, the brass cases being pushed into the shellplate will tilt and jam going into the shellplate. I've tried many timing adjustments to try and make sure everything is right. It still happens too often. In a run of 91 pieces when I kept track, 16 pieces were tilted. That's 18% of the time. When it happens, I have to reach in and lightly tap the case into place. It's not hard to do, but it breaks my loading rhythm.

1zfmp1s.jpg

2d2b12b.jpg

One of the first fixes I tried was to lightly chamfer the baseplate to try to stop cases from hanging up. I also polished the five openings on the shell plate that accepts the case. The machined edges were surprisingly sharp. The hang-up happen less often than originally, but it's still not totally fixed.

2la7qll.jpg

Bullet Seating Depth Variation

I have one final issue that seems to be a feature of the press and not fixable.

When setting up the press to run, I noticed I was getting a variation in bullet seating depth of around 5-10 thousandths. I eventually found that the first round seated was shorter that subsequent rounds. This was because the first round didn't have another round in the last station (factory crimp die). The round in crimp die was keeping the bullet seating die from seating as deeply. The LNL seems like a sturdy press and I was surprised that the crimp die was restricting the motion of the shellplate very slightly.

I haven't thought of a fix other than to be aware of it. Now when I'm setting the press for a run, I put a completed round in the crimp die position when the first new round enters the bullet seating die.

If I Could Make the Choice Again, Which Press Would I Buy?

This isn't a clear cut response. The Hornady LNL press has produced some good ammunition. Overall, it's a good press.

Perhaps there is an element of "the devil you know versus the devil you don't know" going on here. If I had owned a Dillon and worked through its idiosyncrasies it might make the comparison with the LNL more balanced and realistic.

The unresolved problems of tipping/jamming brass cases and seating depth changes both nag at me. These problems should not exist in a machine of this quality.

To be fair, I've always had limited patience with machines that don't do what they're supposed to do. That factors in to this situation.

My final choice if I were to do it again? I would buy a Dillon. They have a strong reputation for working well and reliably. They are priced as a premium product but they have earned that reputation and seem to deliver on their promises.

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Thanks for sharing, I was leaning toward a LnL for my next purchase, partially because of the ease of changing calibers. However, I REALLY like "plug & play" equipment that does not take constant tinkering.

Which Dillon would you choose, the 650?

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    What is Hornady's response to the varying seating depth? That is VERY troubling to me. Any chance a trust washer can be added under the shell plate to take up the slop?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nice write up, as usual, LMW. I've got a LnL but haven't run nearly as many rounds through mine as you have. (Plus I was too cheap to spring for the case feeder :) ). You've pointed out a thing or two I'll have to keep an eye on mine the next time I make a run.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Thanks for sharing, I was leaning toward a LnL for my next purchase, partially because of the ease of changing calibers. However, I REALLY like "plug & play" equipment that does not take constant tinkering.

Which Dillon would you choose, the 650?

Yea, the 650 would be my first choice. If I were to go on the market again, I might even consider the 550 due to it's simplicity.

What is Hornady's response to the varying seating depth? That is VERY troubling to me. Any chance a trust washer can be added under the shell plate to take up the slop?

There doesn't appear to be a tolerance problem (i.e. no slop that I can detect).

I haven't pursued the issue in-depth. My current thought is that the crimp die (which works by contacting the shellplate) is deflecting the shellplate/baseplate enough to make the difference. It's hard to believe seeing that the base plate seems very beefy and the main ram is huge!

The next thing I need to do is load some rounds without the crimp die to see what happens. IF that is the problem, it would mean I either put up with the problem, or go without the crimping step. I don't like either alternative.

Last edited:

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012

I'd like to know about this as well. Which cartridges are you experiencing with this? I use my LNL AP on mostly pistol with some 5.56 and haven't noticed this issue at all, though to be fair I wasn't being super retentive about it. I have noticed that if I don't get my shell plate nice and tight that it will come loose and move around a bit. I've also noticed that I can get some crap in the center hub which can exacerbate the issue, so I usually do a pretty thorough cleaning of the main plate/ram if I'm going to do a caliber change or any movement that requires removal of the shell plate.

Otherwise I'm in complete agreement with you on the primer shuttle: It took quite a bit of tweaking on my part to get it to run right but I think after I made myself a little metal plate over the top of mine it is working pretty well.

I, too was in your position and chose the LNL AP. Though mine took some tweaking of the primer shuttle, I think I'd still end up taking it over the 650 on price/value. Now I've only loaded a few thousand on it (<10k) so maybe as I load more that opinion will change, but for myself personally the cost of entrance for the LNL AP has still outset the relatively little tweaking I've had to do to get it to run cleanly with 9/40/10/45/38/357/5.56

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    I'd like to know about this as well. Which cartridges are you experiencing with this? I use my LNL AP on mostly pistol with some 5.56 and haven't noticed this issue at all, though to be fair I wasn't being super retentive about it. I have noticed that if I don't get my shell plate nice and tight that it will come loose and move around a bit. I've also noticed that I can get some crap in the center hub which can exacerbate the issue, so I usually do a pretty thorough cleaning of the main plate/ram if I'm going to do a caliber change or any movement that requires removal of the shell plate.

Otherwise I'm in complete agreement with you on the primer shuttle: It took quite a bit of tweaking on my part to get it to run right but I think after I made myself a little metal plate over the top of mine it is working pretty well.

I, too was in your position and chose the LNL AP. Though mine took some tweaking of the primer shuttle, I think I'd still end up taking it over the 650 on price/value. Now I've only loaded a few thousand on it (<10k) so maybe as I load more that opinion will change, but for myself personally the cost of entrance for the LNL AP has still outset the relatively little tweaking I've had to do to get it to run cleanly with 9/40/10/45/38/357/5.56

I haven't had any contact with Hornady. I've been mostly focused on load development in rifles for myself and others.

The OAL variation I've seen is with .223 since I've only loaded .223 and 9mm on this press.

I'm certain the shellplate and baseplate are clean and snugly tightened. I've not seen any wiggle in the shellplate.

Your experience with the LNL reinforces my view. It is a good press, but it requires some fussing. I don't mind some, I just tire of the tilted cases and variation in case length that I have to compensate for.

Thanks for reading the thread.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Very good write up. I originally bought a Dillon 650. It was a nice press, but the priming system kept giving me fits. Dillon was amazing to work with, and eventually started sending me bulk parts because I would bend them after 50 cases, but that wouldn't fix the base issue. I finally got tired of the press and bought a LNL. I like the LNL a better. There are a couple kinks in it, but it works better than the Dillon I had. All that said I have absolutely no doubt I got a lemon press by the people I trust voicing their opinion, but having owned both I like the LNL better.

My main gripe about it is, my case feeder plate gets jammed up, and quit's turning. My 9mm case's get wedged between the side wall of the case feeder, and the case feeder plate. Like your tilting issue, its a easy fix but it ruins your flow.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Excellent as always, Dave.

Just a note, on my LnL, I added a metal washer below the primer tube, where the small piston contacts the body of the press. (just under the baseplate in the pic with the yellow box) I did this because the point where that piston contacts the body wears into the lower portion after a while.

Also...
    I've wanted a case feeder for a while, but I can't see spending what Hornady wants for one, so I'm making mine. I have everything done, but I'd like a guide for how to bend the guide rod on it. Could I trouble you to measure your guide rod dimensions for me?

Thanks much!

Blessings,
    Bill

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Another excellent write-up! (Have you considered trying to get this published? I think it would be easy to get it printed, as is.)

As for the seating depth varying by .005", that just isn't a big deal. You won't have any pressure spikes or huge variations in accuracy with such a small difference. If the seating depth varied by .020", and did so throughout the run, that would be a major problem.

I have helped a buddy with his Dillon 550: We had several challenges, mostly with the priming system and overall timing. As others have noted, the 650 is NOT without its problems. I don't think this is a blue vs. red vs. green thing. When you have a press doing many things at once, it is mathematically more likely that something will go wrong.

If I ever need to load ammo more quickly than I do today, having worked with both types of presses and with cost being a consideration, I would likely buy the Hornady LNL.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Great write up as usual bud !!!

I've worked with both red and blue, came to the same conclusion you did ..... I now run twin Dillon 650s, one set up with small priming system and one with large. Not because its difficult at all to change, I just got a smoking deal on a used machine and well, why not. I've got 30K+ on one machine, almost 20k on the other. No issues at all other than a couple return springs breaking, which are in Dillons spare parts kit, and which they sent me multiple new ones no questions asked.

Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    Lovemywoods...I've read that the tipping cases could be an issue with the shell plate. I have the case feeder and also load 223 and 9mm with no case tipping at all. If you know someone with another shell plate you may give it a try...not sure where you're located but I would be willing to loan mine to test if needed.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I had a case tipping issue. It was almost impossible to load 223. It was also noticeable on other calibers. I was able to trace the issue down to the spring channel because I have 2 LNL presses, and one is much older than the other. The cases would not slide smoothly across the spring channel on the newer press.

I contacted Hornady, and emailed them some video showing them the issue. The asked me to return the entire press and 223 shell plate at their expense. The press came back with a new base plate and a new 223 shell plate. I have not had an issue since.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Lovemywoods...I've read that the tipping cases could be an issue with the shell plate. I have the case feeder and also load 223 and 9mm with no case tipping at all. If you know someone with another shell plate you may give it a try...not sure where you're located but I would be willing to loan mine to test if needed.

Very generous of you Mephitical. I haven't decided yet how I want to pursue this. But, I'm getting some excellent ideas from our fellow INGO members. Thanks for reading the article.

Update: After reading this reply, I did what I could and should have done months ago. I did some web research and then contacted Hornady. Seems there is a fair amount of interwebz chatter about the tipping issue. We'll see where this goes from here.

I had a case tipping issue. It was almost impossible to load 223. It was also noticeable on other calibers. I was able to trace the issue down to the spring channel because I have 2 LNL presses, and one is much older than the other. The cases would not slide smoothly across the spring channel on the newer press.

I contacted Hornady, and emailed them some video showing them the issue. The asked me to return the entire press and 223 shell plate at their expense. The press came back with a new base plate and a new 223 shell plate. I have not had an issue since.

OK, you've opened up a new possibility here. I'm encouraged that someone else has experienced a similar issue and that there was a resolution to it. Thank for sharing that Keymaster!

Last edited:

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    A great read, as always. Thanks Dave.

I am a former red guy who has gone blue.

I had many of the same issues with the LNL that you did. I was ALWAYS breaking something on that press. To their credit, Hornady's customer service is excellent, and they took very good care of me. However, I have now loaded more rounds on my Dillon 550 and have yet break anything at all (knock on wood).

I liked your low primer sensor that is painted Hornady red. I've got a Hornady powder measure that is painted Dillon blue. Hey, stuff should match!

Top Bottom