• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have a DPMS flat top with there oem birdcage flash hider, and it is very loud, any suggestions?

Ear pro? :dunno:

Seriously though. Anything that actually lowers the sound signature of your firearm would probably be classified as a silencer. That said, there are some muzzle devices that project the blast and report forward of the shooter, resulting in a perceived reduction in the noise level for the operator and those folks standing behind and to either side of him. The Noveske KX3 "flaming pig" and similar devices (CMMG Krink brake, and Brownells' new pronged muzzle device) come immediately to mind. The downside is that they are bulky, expensive, and don't offer any improvement in flash suppression compared to your A1.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    There are some very good and reasonably priced silencers on the market these days. Lots of fun also. Carbine length 223's are gonna be loud with just about any type of flash suppressor's.

chipdog4

Sharpshooter
    Apr 2, 2008
    The Smith Vortex is quieter than the birdcage. I shoot my 16" midlength with the Vortex, with no hearing protection, at coyotes when they wander too close to the house and it really doesn't seem all that loud.
    If I'm out in an open field, it sounds a little louder than a 22 mag to me.

Never shoot a muzzle-brake without hearing protection. Ear plugs and muffs and that sob PRI QC brake is still loud.

Marc

Master
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    DO NOT GET THE MICULEK BREAK. if you think your factory is loud then you dont want to hear the miculek break.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Any of you knowledgeable folks out there wanna give us a breakdown of the most popular brakes available and the pros/cons of each?? Pretty please?

I'm curious to see if there is any benefit to replacing the stock birdcage flash hider.

slow1911s

Master
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    DO NOT GET THE MICULEK BREAK. if you think your factory is loud then you dont want to hear the miculek break.

I disagree. Behind the gun it tames the blast quite a bit. If you are a spectator to the side, then I agree that it is very loud.

Forget quiet, it is one of the most efficient and effective brakes made and probably the best value.

My suggestion - foam ear plugs and good quality ear muffs.

Marc

Master
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    i like my miculek break and i got it for 35 bucks thanks to Jay on here. he has a modded version of my break and his ar15 made my nose itch wen i shot it. on my other ar15 i have a phanton break and it works pretty good. but i would have to agree with Slow about using hearing protection.

Top Bottom