• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    After recently seeing a fellow INGOer selling this in the classifieds, I thought I might purchase one myself. Unfortunately I did not buy it from the member, as they lived too far away for a local pickup, and I was able to buy this brand new for the same money, plus a little shipping.

I purchased it here: Amsec Smith & Wesson Electronic Hand Gun Safe SWVV1014 - eBay (item 110340270523 end time Feb-18-09 12:42:02 PST)

It arrived this afternoon, about 7 business days after I ordered it.

Now, I bought this to fill a very specific need. You see, my G19 does double-duty as my carry gun and as well as my home-defense gun. Because of this, my current small safe wasn't ideal because it has a key lock, and its not located where I can access the gun quickly enough. What I needed was something small enough to discreetly mount in the bedroom that offered quick access-- not only for "bumps in the night", but also just for the administration of constantly removing the gun to carry during the day and locking it back up at night.

Enter the VersaVault.

(sorry for the dark/crappy pics-- I took these in my "Man Room/Cave")
    i5ukhc.jpg

The first thing I noticed about it when removing it from the box was how heavy it was. Its solid steel.

4pw47l.jpg

The primary entry mechanism is a 4-button rubber keypad. You can enter a code with 3-digits, 4-digits, up to 8-digits. There are molded in "feelers" that identify each button. Once you push the first button, the entire keypad lights up red. If you miss-type, you simple re-enter the correct passcode and it will open. If you don't enter the correct code 3 times, it will lock you out for 15 minutes, as well as sound a beeping alarm. This, of course, can be overridden with the manual key. Power comes from 4 AA batteries accessible from inside the box. Changing the passcode and/or settings is easily accomplished via 4 small DIP switches inside the unit.

Secondary entry is a basic "tube-key". This is more of a backup in case the electronics fail, or if you let the batteries die. According to the box, the batteries last approximately 1 year, and the lights will start blinking well before the batteries actually die, giving you time to replace them.

anorom.jpg

Now this is where the "magic" starts. Once you've entered the last digit of the passcode, the entire top automatically lifts up, revealing the gun in such a manner that obtaining a firing grip is quick and easy. There are little gas struts inside that lift up the top, like you would find in the hood or truck of your car. Several small red LEDs also come on the inside to illuminate its contents. The "holster" is what Smith calls its "Whisper Sleeve". Its made of flexible plastic, and has two pieces of foam on top and bottom that keep your gun in place. The bottom on the inside is covered in blue velet (very PIMP).

10olaus.jpg

14k9u6f.jpg

2vv6nfb.jpg

On the bottom of the outside there is a mounting plate that allows the user to simply mount the plate onto a desktop, wall, etc. Then you can lock the safe onto it by simply rotating a latch on the inside. If you wanted to transition this to inside a car, you could simply unlatch it from the mounting plate, put it in the car, and then run a cable around something to the back of the safe where there is a small hole just for that purpose.

And now for the CONS that I've noticed so far:

Ideally it would've been GREAT if this was large (wide) enough to hold 2 guns in the "whisper sleeve". I tried putting my G19 and Smith & Wesson 39-2 "slide-to-slide", but the grips stuck out just a tad too far for the box to close. If my second gun was a J-Frame it probably would've fit.

The second CON is a bigger issue, and one that I hope can/will be remedied. With the safe loaded with only my G19, the lid WILL NOT raise the entire way like it should. It just seems too heavy, and the struts will not bring it up to its full extension. Not only does this not accomplish what the safe is specifically designed to do, but it also does not offer the kind of grip I'd like when trying to deploy the gun.

Here is what I've been getting so far:
    303lok4.jpg

Now, I did get this off my freezing-cold porch an hour ago, so perhaps the struts are feeling its effects, but I'm definately going to keep an eye on it. If this continues I will have to contact S&W and see what's up.

All-in-all I really like the safe. The price is a bit ouchy, but I really wanted the quick access and quick deployment aspect. It helps that it was a gift from lovemywoods. :D (thanks Pop)

Now I'm trying to decide where and how I should mount it. We've got a big beefy dresser in the bedroom that I could mount it to, but I'm not sure if I want to mount it on top, or on the side of it. Maybe if it was mounted sideways the issue of not opening fully would go away. Hmm... To be more discreet I could mount it on the wall just inside the closet, but it would take a split second longer to access it. . . hmm.... Decisions decisions!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I do NOT believe in any battery operated handgun locking mechanism, even if it has a back up key. It is just my personal feeling. However, if, at 2am there is a crash through your back door, it is also just as likely that the batteries on the safe will also take a dump that very moment, oh, and the dog at your key.

Personally, on a compact safe, I want a mechanical lock that is unlikely to fail. Fort Knox: Americas Best Made Gun Safes, Hand Gun Safes, Fireproof Home Safes, and Vault Doors About US Hand Gun Boxes
    HandgunSafeBoxClosed.jpg

GunsafeOpen.jpg

Again, JMO

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Yes, electronics can/do/will fail.

But I feel the benefits far outweigh the risk that they will fail at the exact moment I need them to work. Also keep in mind that I will be in and out of this safe on a daily basis, so its more likely that they would fail during a time when I'm just administratively accessing/returning the gun.

And if, as Murphy would have it, they do fail when I need them, the manual key is in such a place that it will only slighly delay deployment.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    UPDATE:

The struts on the safe never were strong enough to reliably deploy the top with the loaded Glock. I called Smith & Wesson, who redirected me to another firm that deals with warranty issues. They, of course, wanted me to ship it back, but this thing is heavy and the shipping and hassle wasn't worth it (considering what I ended up doing).

Therefore, I decided to try and wall-mount it. My thought was that if the lid had to swing sideways, then the struts wouldn't have to work so hard and they might actually work properly.

I mounted it just inside my closet door, on the LEFT side of the closet, making accessing with my right hand very easy and natural, while keeping my body in the doorway with a full view of the room.

After entering the code, the door SWINGS open VERY quickly. It presents the pistol perfectly, allowing me a ready grip.

Installation was simple. It has a removable locking plate that I held up to the wall, leveled it, marked the holes, drilled the holes, mounted the plate, then locked the safe onto the plate. Done!

I'll try and snap some pictures tomorrow.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    The struts on the originals weren't very strong. Goodcat (the gent who ended up with mine) had a similar issue but couldn't mount it in that fashion, which I always assumed was the intended mounting position.. He called and got two new struts..

Glad the new mount is working properly!

JPY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Muncie
    I love the idea of this vault. If I hadn't already purchased another, I'd be all over this like flies on poop. Great review!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Excellent review! I was wondering if this device was worth the money. I do have a question esrice. Have you ever used a single handgun case like this before or do you have any first hand experience with similar devices you could draw a comparison to?

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I like it, cool design and someone really put some thought into it that is for sure.

I'm too dang cheap for something like this though, so I'm just getting one of the small fire safes like they have at Wal-Mart at around $30-$50. I think this would work for me. I could just insert the key and night and take it out in the morning for the HD firearm. Then it's ready but locked up when I'm not around. This is my current plan anyway. :D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Have you ever used a single handgun case like this before or do you have any first hand experience with similar devices you could draw a comparison to?

As far as a quick-access, pistol-only case this is my first one. Before this was the Redneck Gunsafe (do a search, I'm not bringing that back up. . . :D) and a more tradional "safe", in the sense that it was a wall-mounted box that opened with a key and had 2 shelves.

They all do the same basic thing-- insert code, open top, retrieve gun. But this one kind of does the last two at the same time, and automatically. melensdad posted a manual version earlier in this thread that would be a good alternative.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    They all do the same basic thing-- insert code, open top, retrieve gun. But this one kind of does the last two at the same time, and automatically. melensdad posted a manual version earlier in this thread that would be a good alternative.

Good enough. I'm leaning towards this model you reviewed simply because of the way it presents the gun. I found this:

Portable Gun Safe

TitianGunSafe.jpg

This Titan Gun Vault is like $250.00. The one you reviewed is more affordable. I will be considering the S&W model.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    That Titan looks interesting, but you're right about the price. . . ouch.

The S&W is bigger, seems to offer more flexibility with the "whisper sleeve" (it will hold an extra mag or weapon light along with the pistol, even sideways), and its very heavy and well-built.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I'm too dang cheap for something like this though, so I'm just getting one of the small fire safes like they have at Wal-Mart at around $30-$50. I think this would work for me.

Before you get one of these, consider that most of the fireproof safes have walls that contain concrete, which gives off moisture constantly. You might have to take extra precautions to prevent rust and corrosion.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Spurred by another member's recent questions, I thought I would update this thread.

So far, it's held up quite well.

I ended up mounting it vertically on a wall just inside my walk-in closet.

This allows me quick access to it if something were to "go bump" in the night, or when I'm just getting it out to transfer it to a holster.

The 'whisper sleeve' continues to hold the gun and one extra magazine without any problems or sagging.

The buttons still glow red nice and bright, and I haven't had any issues with "failure to unlock".

I snapped a couple of cell pics.

2wncwva.jpg

34rf9g3.jpg

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Pretty cool, esrice!!

Guess you've got to get used to entering your code sideways, after having it on a table, huh?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    At the request of a fellow INGOer I'll update this thread.

The VersaVault is still mounted on the closet wall. The struts still kick it out with a nice whoosh.

I have replaced the batteries since my last post. They are conveniently accessed from the inside, and only take 2 minutes to change out.

One feature still bothers me about its overall design-- the lockout feature. After 3 unsuccessful attempts it locks down completely, requiring you to either open it manually with a key, or wait a few minutes until you can re-enter the code. I fat-fingered the code once, and then couldn't get it back into the right repetition, causing it to lock me out. Fine when its administrative-- not so fine when its 2am and you're frantically trying to access your handgun.

If I were again in the market for something similar, I might take a look at other less-expensive options, as there are many more products on the market these days.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As always great review and follow up.

I'll add another option.

I purchased a Stack On PDS-500

51LWFnP4BZL.jpg

Amazon.com: Stack-On PDS-500 Drawer Safe with Electronic Lock: Home Improvement

from Amazon a bit back when it was a few dollars cheaper than it is now.

Drawbacks on this are that the numeric keypad is not back lit so having some kind of light source is needed unless you can feel the relative position of the keys. It does have a user programmable code. On this one the lock out works as follows:
    "If the incorrect security code is entered 3 times you will have an automatic lockout for 20 seconds before you can try your code again. If the incorrect security code is entered 3 additional times there will be a 5-minute lockout before the code can be tried again."

It also has a backup key entry.

For the price its a reasonable solution if you need to keep others hands off of a firearm. Like you I am in and out of this every day and so far it seems to be working well. The Stack-On has relatively little room inside due to thickness of the door (See the picture for reference; batteries are contained on the inside of the door). I do also need to put more padding in it as it only has 1 thin layer of padding on the bottom.

I've had it for about 4 months now and have not needed to change the batteries as yet.

Top Bottom