Suggestions for small, compact, lightweight weaponlight (AR)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've been running a Streamlight PolyTac LED in a VTAC mount since I first began shooting ARs. Its been an excellent system and I would recommend it to anyone looking for something solid and inexpensive.

But as my guns have evolved I am now in the market for something smaller and lighter for my SBR. I'm turning to you INGOers for some helpful suggestions.

Here is my criteria:

• Smaller is better
    • Lighter is better
    • Must be LED
    • Must pump more than 150 lumens, less than 300
    • Must have a tailcap switch (no pressure pads please)
    • Switchology must be cave-man simple
    I use a thumb break hold on my AR, so I'd prefer that it mount just to the left of the front sight, as far forward as possible (rail is 9.5", barrel is 10.5").

I don't want price to limit the recommendations, so I'm open to anything at this point.

Suggestions?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Streamlight PT2L in a VTAC Mount, 180 lumens!

That's a good suggestion, and one I've considered. I EDC a PT2L and love it. I've even considered going down to the smaller PT1L. Either way it would require me purchasing a newer VTAC mount, as my current one doesn't have the shims for smaller lights.

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    www.Elzetta.com
    I have the ZFL M60s w/the bezel and high/strobe mode. Very nice!!! Puts Surefire to shame and the only light that will stand up to a shotgun blast! Brightest light I have ever owned period and I have owned alot. Very much well worth every penny! Let me know what you think.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    That's a good suggestion, and one I've considered. I EDC a PT2L and love it. I've even considered going down to the smaller PT1L. Either way it would require me purchasing a newer VTAC mount, as my current one doesn't have the shims for smaller lights.

I know a place where you could buy both those items!! :):

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    My brother has a TLR-1 mounted on his AR and likes it a lot.

picture.php

picture.php

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    http://www.Elzetta.com Let me know what you think.

Here is what keeps me away from Elzetta:

• They appear to only offer a few models
    • The models they do offer look bigger/heavier than what I've already got
    • Their rail mount looks big, heavy, and awkward
    • I think the overall design of the light is ugly (personal preference)
    I've seen the shotgun blast videos and they do look very tough.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I know a place where you could buy both those items!! :):

Is it the same place where I bought my PolyTac in the first place? ;)

How about a SureFire X300 or a Streamlight TLR-1, TLR-2?!

I tried running a handgun light once (TLR-1) but found it less than optimal.

First, it sticks out way to far from the rail. The nice thing about the VTAC mount in my current setup is that it snugs the light in between the upper and side rail, making it very low profile.

Second, the controls are somewhat awkward. I much prefer simply mashing a rear button than trying to toggle a switch.

Handgun lights are compact, however, and fairly lightweight.

I appreciate the good suggestions so far!

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    Theyre a bit heavy but it doesnt bother me as it and the Zorm mount is all I put on my rifle besides the red dot. I like to keep it simple.I will trade off the little bit of weight for the job it does. The have several models under the ZFL M60 lines and several configurations of each. Now Laserlyte was making a very small compact light/laser combo but I cant remember the name. I used an X300 on mine until I got the Elzetta and now its on my 1911.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Theyre a bit heavy but it doesnt bother me as it and the Zorm mount is all I put on my rifle besides the red dot. I like to keep it simple.

On my old 16" gun my current weaponlight configuration worked just fine. Like you said, the added weight was negligible. It wasn't until I built this new 10.5" that I thought about going lighter.

156r6on.jpg

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    evan, thanks for the idea on the Polytac. I know you're moving away from it, but I am looking for a budget light. I have been eyeballing the Primary Arms weapon light, but I suppose the Polytac would fit the bill as well.

sorry for the threadjack, but now I wont have to start a new one. :)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    evan, thanks for the idea on the Polytac. I know you're moving away from it, but I am looking for a budget light.

Its a fantastic budget setup. There's nothing wrong with what I've got now, other than my desire to go smaller/lighter.

Compared to that big honkin' PA light, the PolyTac/VTAC combo is lightweight, solid, and simple to operate.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Its a fantastic budget setup. There's nothing wrong with what I've got now, other than my desire to go smaller/lighter.

Compared to that big honkin' PA light, the PolyTac/VTAC combo is lightweight, solid, and simple to operate.

that was my concern. the PA looks like a good setup, but does seem a tad large. But I have been satisfied with my PA RDS, so I thought I might give 'em a go. Bit it looks like your setup is a bit cheaper too.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    that was my concern. the PA looks like a good setup, but does seem a tad large. But I have been satisfied with my PA RDS, so I thought I might give 'em a go. Bit it looks like your setup is a bit cheaper too.

The PA light looks like a knockoff of a very popular Surefire light. Unfortunately that Surefire light was popular many years ago, before lights were brighter and smaller like they are today. I'm sure its a good light (PA makes a good knockoff), but the user will just have to accept its bulk.

You can pick up a PolyTac LED and VTAC mount from ol' Cwood up there for less than $70.

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Honestly, and this may seem like a bubba'd rig, but with the way I grip my AR with my left hand, I put a 125 lumen LED light in a scope ring. It sits at the right height away from the rail and it's moved far enough forward that I can easily momentary on/off it or press all the way to constant on the light.

I'll try to get a picture of what I did because it works really well for my rifle handling style.

Bigdee06

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    Check out the Nova Tac 120m. http://www.novatac.com/downloads/data-sheets/20-0101C_120M.pdf. It's not quite up to your 150 lumens mark but it is very bright for only being 120. Its very small and the mount is low profile. The Pax terminal guys pull them out thier weapon mounts and use them for taking people out the landing pads and let me assure you the strobe function will get your attention for sure. It run on a single cr123 and is a good compact light.

Top Bottom