• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok, so a flash suppressor eliminates (almost) all muzzle flash. A compensator redirects gases to help reduce recoil. Some devices are a combination, doing a little bit of both, but neither as effectively.

Traditionally I've seen flash suppressors on "tactical" guns and compensators on "competition" guns. These days, as with many other items, I'm seeing that line becoming a bit blurred.

I have a 16" M4. My intended purposes include home/personal defense, plinking, and taking group training classes.

Keeping that in mind, I'm trying to decide which is the better choice-- a flash suppressor or compensator.

A compensator would make the recoil easier to manage and make for quicker follow-up shots. Anything that makes me a more effective fighter is a good thing.

What would the 'cons' be? Would the lack of flash suppression negatively impact my vision at night, making follow-up shots more difficult to see? Would the hot redirected gases pose a problem if I was shooting inside my home around my family? Would there be any concern of catching things on fire? Is the added "side blast" a major issue when shooting on a line in classes?

A flash suppressor would conceal my position when shooting in the dark. Is this even an issue for my intended purposes? I'm pretty sure the sound and the flying bullets would negate any concealment.

Are the "dual-purpose" devices even worth it? Or are they simply the worst of both worlds?

Thoughts?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i believe a compensator and a muzzle brake are the same. if so and you shoot a compensated rifle indoors everyone in your house will hear ringing for a month. that could be a down side. i believe tubb and a few others make adjustable brakes that may suit your needs better. when the gun is sitting in a corner for home defense you could close the ports and when your outdoors you could open them and use the brake.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    i believe a compensator and a muzzle brake are the same. if so and you shoot a compensated rifle indoors everyone in your house will hear ringing for a month. that could be a down side. i believe tubb and a few others make adjustable brakes that may suit your needs better. when the gun is sitting in a corner for home defense you could close the ports and when your outdoors you could open them and use the brake.

If you just had the flash suppressor, and you fired indoors, wouldn't everybody's ears be ringing anyway?
    I'd think an actual suppressor would be better, then the BG wouldn't be able to detect your position by sound.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i believe a compensator and a muzzle brake are the same.

Yes, the terms are used interchangeably. I'm talking about the difference between a compensator and a flash suppressor.

I'd think an actual suppressor would be better, then the BG wouldn't be able to detect your position by sound.

Didn't you hear any of the 5.56 suppressors at NFA Day? The don't quiet it down enough that a BG wouldn't know exactly where you were-- especially indoors. And while an actual suppressor would indeed be the best of both worlds, we're talking about ~$150 versus $1k.

Evan, you know what I'll recommend!

Does your BattleComp reduce recoil as much as bigcraig's JP brake? That thing is freaking wicked.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    Did you not see it eliminate the muzzle rise while dumping a full mag at NFA Day?

The recoil is directed back and is not bad. You can always shoot it and see if you like it.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Did you not see it eliminate the muzzle rise while dumping a full mag at NFA Day?

The recoil is directed back and is not bad. You can always shoot it and see if you like it.

I wanna shoot yours and Craig's side-by-side.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Compensators make a huge difference for the shooter. If it helps me get a second shot on target faster, it's worth it for me. A rifle, for games or otherwise, has to be reliable and put rounds on target - the comp helps me accomplish both.

Here is an article that was done on compensator effectiveness for Front Sight magazine. http://www.scribd.com/mobile/documents/16329716/download?commit=Download+Now&secret_password=

I run a Miculek on mine. Very hard to beat for the money. The DNTC is also very effective.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    A friend has a YHM brake on his AR, and Ive got a YHM flash hider on mine. World of difference in muzzle rise and felt recoil between the two. Hell of a difference in the amount of crap that gets spewed on you when standing next to him while he is shooting his rifle w/ the brake.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here is my take:

Other factors make a bigger difference than a compensator. First and foremost among those is the length of the gas system. Guns with rifle length gas systems will have a less harsh recoil impulse than carbine length gas systems, with midlengths in between. Technique also plays a significant role. I've had people at 3-gun and multi-gun matches comment (both to me and to others) about how effective the compensator on my rifle is. The problem with their compliment is that the gun I was using has a standard A2 flash hider on it. I was controlling the gun with how I was holding it.

You cannot get something for nothing. There are a few devices on the market that claim to do both, but probably don't do either job well.

If you truly want to reduce both muzzle flash and felt recoil/muzzle rise, the decision is obvious to me: a suppressor (aka "silencer"). Those suppressors (as opposed to flash hiders) should eliminate virtually all visible muzzle flash, regardless of the ammo. At the same time, they are they reduce recoil and muzzle flip nicely as well.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I currently use the PWS fsc556 comp/flash hider combo it is fantastic at both things and keeps shots on target. my only dislike is all the side blast, which is why I'm considering the battlecomp seeing as I don't have an extra $4 bills laying around for a triple tap. a little comparison between the fsc556 and a couple of flash hiders.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTnmn4wZFXs]YouTube - AR15 Flash Hider Comparison[/ame]

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is the added "side blast" a major issue when shooting on a line in classes?

I shot next to a comped gun in a carbine class. The concussion is noticeable. It kinda makes you want to have one, just to screw on to "shoot back."

It depends on where you are at with your shooting. If you are concentrating on precision detailed drills, the thump, thump, thump is a distraction. If you are looking to see how you perform under distraction or duress, shooting next to a comped gun is the way to go.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Evan,

It is funny how different we are and how different our lives are but how you'll do something without mentioning it to me and I find myself doing the exact same thing. I spent a few days looking into comps and flash suppressors for similar reasons.

I don't have any recommendations because I'm not an expert or anything but I found this on AR15chatterbox and thought the video looked promising. I'll pass it along:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZursaJZRxTk]YouTube - RAINIER ARMS XD FLASH HIDER[/ame]

Rainier Arms XD Flash Hider.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    +1 on Burl's "comp fatigue". A guy a few lines down from me was shooting an AR with a comp on it and I could feel it in my chest. crow and coyote was right next to him. It sounded awesome but was distracting but in sync, pitch and concussion ratio. It did give me a chance to HTFU and "train" through it though.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    This one still has me intrigued.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAAZzb8PkFQ&NR=1]YouTube - Rainier Arms XTC Compensator (Demo)[/ame]

lovemywoods and I are currently building a rifle for my Grandfather. Perhaps I'll satisfy my compensator curiosity on that rifle, as I don't see him attending any tactical training classes.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Me thinks we need to get a HD video camera and do a night shoot with a few of these to see what the difference is between a std A2 birdcage and some of these comps.

Top Bottom