• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've never gotten into scopes, so basically know nothing about them. I'm pre-ordering a Ruger Precision Rimfire because it looks really sweet. Buddy of mine had the 7.62 version of the Precision centerfire and the trigger is amazing. I want to get a decent scope for it. Probably will mostly shoot 25 - 100 yards, though may want to go a bit more on occasion. I mostly just want to plink, so don't want to spend big money. I was hoping to keep it under $150.

rimfireOH

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2017
    Easterly
    I have a Bushnell Banner 3x-9x rifle scope on my CZ 455. It's got a wide field of view and I really like the clarity and the ability to zoom in when needed. I've owned it for nearly five years now and have been really happy with it. I think it was a little closer to $200 when I bought it, but the prices seem to have come down quite a bit since then.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have both the Bushnell and the Vortex mentioned above. The Bushnell was around $70. The Vortex was over $150. Mine is a 4×12 (It was free to me through a rewards program at work).

Both are good. The glass is better on the Vortex, but not by a whole bunch.

For a 100 yd. 22lr, either will do you fine.

Here are the 2 I have.
    oGEdmbK.jpg

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I had a cheap Tasco 3 x 9 on my 10/22 for years. It served me well. I even shot a 1/2", 3 shot group with my modified 10/22. It did its job. I think it was $30 when I bought it about 15 years ago. It's on my Savage MKII now.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For what the Ruger Precision Rimfire was made for, you're going to want more than a 9 power on the high end and you're going to want an adjustable parrallax.

I'd at least get a 6-18 Crossfire (only thing about that is the 30 MOA on that gun and getting it sighted in at 100 yards but it's probably doable)

Look into Sightron as well, or maybe save and get a better scope that would perform better on that rifle

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm not wanting to pay more than $150 at this time because I doubt I'll be shooting it often. If I do end up getting into it more, I'm happy to use the lower end scope for my 10/22 and buy a new one for the Precision.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What kind of shooting are you thinking WTB? Plinking, to me, means shooting a bit faster at cans, steel gongs, etc... Plinking, to me, does not mean trying to make tiny clover shaped groups on paper. So, to me, that usually means a 1-4, 1-6, 2-7, 2-8, 2-10, or 3-9X magnification scope. For me, it means I'm NOT looking for a 18x, 30x, etc... magnification scope.

What magnification range are you looking for? There's your starting place.

Do you care about weight or size of the scope? Will you be carrying this on your back in the woods? Shooting off hand, prone, from a bench with a sand bag?

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Great question and I'd have to say that I really don't know. I'm not very knowledgeable about scopes. The use will mostly be using the 100 yard target at MCF&G, as well as the 50 yard. I doubt I'll often shoot further, but it would be nice if something reasonably inexpensive would let me go further on occasion. I guess I should get info for better scopes in case spending a little more would be a better fit.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    What size are the targets? Or are you punching holes in paper at that distance and trying to make tiny groups?

Any preference or idea on how you’ll be shooting (offhand, prone, or from bags on a bench)?

Great question and I'd have to say that I really don't know. I'm not very knowledgeable about scopes. The use will mostly be using the 100 yard target at MCF&G, as well as the 50 yard. I doubt I'll often shoot further, but it would be nice if something reasonably inexpensive would let me go further on occasion. I guess I should get info for better scopes in case spending a little more would be a better fit.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I use a cheap Pursuit scope from Bass pro on my 10/22. Works perfectly for the last 3 years and you could go out farther with the scope than the rifle is capable of. Believe its 3-12×40

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you can make do with a 2-7, I'd pick up a Weaver RV-7. They're made a lot better than anything else out there for $150. Made in Japan with all metal guts. They track and have acceptable glass. There's a lot of support for Vortex on this site, but I haven't seen anything from Vortex in this price range that compares.

If you can spend the extra $50 and up your budget to $200, you could take a look at the Weaver GST (Natchez has a 10% off deal right now). Only issue you'll have is parallax is set for a long rifle, and not set at 50 yards or something more appropriate for a rimfire. These are pretty dang well regarded the best scope you can get under $400 for a scope that'll be used to dial in shots.
    https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-gr...pe-3-10x40mm-mil-dot-reticle-matte-black.html

If you really need/want the extra magnification, go for a Vortex crossfire. Chinese made and cheap. But if it breaks, Vortex will just send you a new one. Personally, I don't buy Chinese glass. I'd recommend saving up, and buying once. Cheap glass makes people hate using scopes.

Top Bottom