• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    just out of sheer laziness, i'm going to ask this question once again, (first time by me by the way). cosmoline removal. cleaning up my first moison. it's all torn to bits at this moment. i'm using carb cleaner on the metal as usual, but the wood is my main sticking point. this gun is in great shape and i don't want to F up the wood. i remember seeing something about paper towels and trash bags in the sun. is that ok or will it dry out hte wood too much and cause it to crack?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just wiped them down and shot the rest of the cosmoline out. It was kind of messy, but still fun!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've seen internet blogs were the people used a spot light in a trashcan and just turned it upside down to get the cosmo out of the wood. Some folks have used ovens, set on low power, to bake the wood. Either way would seem to work, as far as I can tell. A slow, low temp bake to get it out of the wood.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    It's always best to spend alot of time heating up the oven before you put the "wood" in...:stickpoke: That's what my wife says...:D

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yep, just wrap the wood in paper towels or old newspaper, stick that in a black trash bag then put it out in the direct sun, I put mine on the car dash or back window for a little more warmth. Change out the paper when it gets soaked, repeat as necessary. It won't hurt the wood a bit to do that for a couple or three days.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I use a true steam cleaner. Got an advantage as I used to be a pressure washer mechanic so when I need something like that I just drop by the shop and have my choice of equipment.

I have used the sun to sweat it out though. Wrapped in paper towels or newspaper, set out on the blacktop driveway, replace paper n wipe down every couple hours.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I wrap it up in papertowels, seal it in a plastic bag, seal it in another plastic bag, then put it in a hot bath for 30 mins (replacing hot water as needed).

End result is all the cosmo is gone and I dont have to use abrasive cleaners.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Dishwasher works great for cleaning cosmo out of a stock. After you clean the stock, run it a second time, before the wife finds out.

Top Bottom