• ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I'm no expert, just my experience...

What steel is that made of? I see you cut a lot of rope so you probably love the serrations, but, how do you like them for everyday use? Do they ever hamper regular cutting chores? How do you re-sharpen them? I'm curious as these are the reasons I don't have them on my knives.
    Bob

Steel is 1095, going to try and answer our other questions based on my experience.

"How do you like them for everyday use?"
    - I have them on most of my knives, not just for rope or cord cutting but in my experience they don't dull very easy. I think the big craze with them being added to knives was to reduce sharpening for those of us with less than apt skills at sharpening. I like them too because they tear through things pretty well, from cardboard to small pieces of wood and fabric. Regardless if you are in a field situation (including long day at work etc) your knife will become dull, when mine does those serrations come in handy.

"Do they hamper regular cutting chores?"
    - Not usually but each knife is different (see pic below) I've never had an issue with the Seal Pup (middle) or the Rat-3 (right) but Benchmade (left) has given me a few issues because the serrations are recessed further on the blade than the cutting edge.

"How do you re-sharpen them?"
    - A diamond sharpener will do, I also have a stone (from a kit) that is turned on its edge (90 degrees) and use that with good results. As stated above though, mine have rarely needed re-sharpening.

OK, I'm posting a picture to show some different serrations. As you'll see the Rat-3 is drastically different than the other two knives, instead of "peaks and valleys" of different sizes they are all the same. Because of this the serrations have very distinct and sharp points (tap them on your thumb and you'll bleed.)

picture.php

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I second, or third, or fourth, whatever, the Strider recommendation. I've got a couple, and I've abused them pretty good. I like the DB-L myself, good size and balance.

You all also forgot this clown named Cubby. He's kind of a goof ball :):, Just kidding, but he makes a really nice blade. My angry mariner has been my constant offshore pal since I picked it up a while back.

Tinman....

mkelsey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Springville
    My two favorites are a Butch Vallotton & Matt Diskin, one of the smoothest opening knifes I have ever owned and AUS-10 blade.
    IMG_6090.jpg

And what is one of the most solid folders I have ever had is an Al Mar SERE 2000. These are available in an auto version that we are not allowed to have in Indiana since evidently it is much more deadly/dangerous when you can push a button instead of having to go through the process of flicking you thumb. Still a GREAT knife however. With a S30V Stainless blade with machined aircraft grade aluminum bodies and Type III hard anodizing.
    SERE-2000.jpg

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    I carried a SERE 2K for years! It got lost in the snow one day when I got out of my truck at a job site and never saw it again. That would be the knife that could replace my CRKTs. I had hit the butt so much when using it as a prybar that the screws holding the clip were flattened out. Thanks, now I have the urge to get another one!
    Bob

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I second, or third, or fourth, whatever, the Strider recommendation. I've got a couple, and I've abused them pretty good. I like the DB-L myself, good size and balance.

You all also forgot this clown named Cubby. He's kind of a goof ball :):, Just kidding, but he makes a really nice blade. My angry mariner has been my constant offshore pal since I picked it up a while back.

Tinman....

thanks, bud! :patriot: :rockwoot:

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    right now I'm EDCing

a zero tolerance 0300- at 1/2 a pound it's big and beefy and could kill just as easy with blunt force trauma as with the blade

microtech socom mini elite- it was a grail knife for me there is nothing I don't like about it except the serrations but hey it's not made anymore and beggers can't be choosers.

spyderco tenacious- at $40 I think its one of the best values going, no wonder steel but I haven't had an issue yet. it also has great in the hand feel and I love the blade shape.

and if I'm feeling froggy I will carry a scrapyard scrapper 5 horizontal in a kydex sheath on the small of the back. I don't normally carry fixed blades but the size is just about right.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    right now I'm EDCing

a zero tolerance 0300- at 1/2 a pound it's big and beefy and could kill just as easy with blunt force trauma as with the blade

microtech socom mini elite- it was a grail knife for me there is nothing I don't like about it except the serrations but hey it's not made anymore and beggers can't be choosers.

spyderco tenacious- at $40 I think its one of the best values going, no wonder steel but I haven't had an issue yet. it also has great in the hand feel and I love the blade shape.

and if I'm feeling froggy I will carry a scrapyard scrapper 5 horizontal in a kydex sheath on the small of the back. I don't normally carry fixed blades but the size is just about right.

A little jealous of socom mini elite. I have a D2 socom ( the chisel ground tanto and love it.

is your tenacious plainedge or serrated?

know anyone that might be interested in one of these? Scrap Yard Knife Company my brother might be selling his, and a black fat fusion batle mistress, if you know anyone,

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    A little jealous of socom mini elite. I have a D2 socom ( the chisel ground tanto and love it.

is your tenacious plainedge or serrated?

know anyone that might be interested in one of these? Scrap Yard Knife Company my brother might be selling his, and a black fat fusion batle mistress, if you know anyone,

1. the only things I don't like is it's the mini version and partially serrated. I don't like the tanto versions, it's just and aesthetic thing nothing wrong with the function. I would buy another one tomorrow if I could find one.

2. plain edge always! unless it's beyond my control ala discontinued microtech's

3. I know plenty of people that would love a scrap muk and a FFBM. you might ask paddling man or flatlander as they know way more interested parties than I.

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    1. the only things I don't like is it's the mini version and partially serrated. I don't like the tanto versions, it's just and aesthetic thing nothing wrong with the function. I would buy another one tomorrow if I could find one.

2. plain edge always! unless it's beyond my control ala discontinued microtech's

3. I know plenty of people that would love a scrap muk and a FFBM. you might ask paddling man or flatlander as they know way more interested parties than I.

Why not love for serations?

Well he might sel the scrap muk, I won't part with mine just yet. but he selling FBM looking for market but willing to take less, custom kydex sheath, belt loop drops down to a thigh carry, comes with a big flint, and a big pouch on the front, anyone interested let me know.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Why not love for serations?

IMO it's taking away half of the usefulness of the edge. I a firm believer in SHARP plain edges and tend to think of serrations as useless because there is nothing they can do that my plain edges won't. I've always thought of them as a marketing gimmick for people who don't or can't sharpen. any knife you own should be sharp and maintained as such so there shouldn't be a reason to compensate with serrations.:twocents:

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    See, I see serrations as a different tool for a deffernt job. cuting cloth, burlap or seed/feed sacks I love serrations, when cutting heavy rubber for work I like a plainedge, doing woods stuff I like painedge as well. I think serrations have there place and when you need a knife and don't have the time to do anyhting other then strop it serrations are great. but that's just how I see it.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    the only time i like or use serration are on rope and the like... fiberous material...... i have never had a knife hang on feed bags or burlap..... but i keep them pretty sharp......

now, if you aren't going to sharpen your knife, then serrations are a MUST. if you maintain the knives well (as in the edge. some steels WILL hold the edge much longer than others.... along with thickness and grind, that will determine "sharpness" and "edge duarbility") then a straight, plain edge is hard to beat.

it almost falls dead into the same area as the "a big knife can do ANYTHING a small knife can, but a small knife can't do everything a big knife can." a plain edge can do anything a serrated knife can, but a serrated knife cannot do everything a plain edge can do.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    the only time i like or use serration are on rope and the like... with thickness and grind, that will determine "sharpness" and "edge duarbility") then a straight, plain edge is hard to beat.

it almost falls dead into the same area as the "a big knife can do ANYTHING a small knife can, but a small knife can't do everything a big knife can." a plain edge can do anything a serrated knife can, but a serrated knife cannot do everything a plain edge can do.

+1. The only time serrations have a place, in my usage, was with a hawkwill for sailboat work. "Reach way out and 'hook' a line to cut." The serrations help grip the line. In my view? Serrations don't cut... they rip. You only need to "rip" if you keep a dull blade.

Go to?

Utility bag - Gen 1 SRKW Howling Rat and SAK.
    HRSheath.jpg

Bob Bag - SAK and SRKW Battle Rat.
    battleratsm.jpg

Car Blade - Busse SFNO
    IMG_4526.jpg

Camping - SRKW Ratweiler
    SatinGreen-1.jpg

House/Garage Small Utility - SYK SS 4
    StreetScrapperSpine.jpg

"Dressy" carry - Busse Meaner Streets
    busse-MeanerS-2008514.jpg

Limb Lopper - Dave Wesner Chopper - A2
    PA300399E.jpg

Zombie Blade - SRKW Rat Daddy
    ratdaddylefromdick.jpg

Clipped to the backpack arm - SRKW HRLM
    01-23-07-8.jpg

Rotated in and out in EDC - SRKW SAR and DS
    IMG_5054.jpg

Folders?

Large Classic Sebenza
    seb21l.jpg

Lil Kershaw Leek - S30V and G10 edition
    K1660G10.gif

Kershaw Lahar - VG10 and G10
    cf485019357fe0cf.jpg

Spyderco Calypso
    C52PBKE%20200.JPG

Swamp Rat Rat Trap
    54740230.20051129a015.jpg

Spyderco Merlin
    Hawkbills.jpg

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    hickman,

what would your mission be for the knife? what do you want to use it for?

anything.

Just like my Glock or 870.

I want to be able to grab a bag with pistol, shotty and knife and "survive".

I know that's a very generic answer, but cash is short right now and I'm looking for a good survival knife.

I was looking at Busse, RAT 4, Scrapyard scrapper or something along those line, but want the opinions of those of you who really know knives. I'd rather just spend the money once.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    anything.

I was looking at Busse, RAT 4, Scrapyard scrapper or something along those line, but want the opinions of those of you who really know knives. I'd rather just spend the money once.

so you want a fixed blade in the 5-6 inch range.you could indeed survive with any one of those knives but if your going with RAT I would go bigger to the rc-5 S.E.R.E. knife.

iNDy-Josh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    My go to knife is my bear and son cutlery tanto bladed balisong. I have it on me at all time. Easy to conceal, legal in indiana, fast deployment, and really fun to play with. This knife is the only balisong I have owned that hasn't broken on me (i've owned about 9 now...). I really want a benchmade but can't bring myself to spend so much on a knife.

EDIT: I also have a knife I've open carried time to time lately that I picked up two months ago from my trip to Alaska. One of a kind hand made fixed blade, caribou antler handle and steel from a turn of the century sawmill. My favorite knife by far.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    fixed blade- Ka Bar 1214 fighting knife
    folding- Kershaw Ken Onion Blackout
    Fillet knife- Custom Jon Wright stag handled 12"
    Hunting- case xx gut-hook hunter
    Camping- Gerber Gator (made in the USA old model)

Top Bottom